Engine Overcooling

Hi,

After a few weeks of practice in rise of flight, carreer mode, i'm starting to feel confident about flying & fighting, at least in the Nieuport 17 aircraft.

I still have a problem though, when flying at higher altitudes (2000 m +) i suffer from engine overcooling. Temperature drops far too low, though i have my radiators shut (i think, though i see no indicator in the N17). Is this normal, should i just avoid high altitudes in this plane?

cheers

The only solution I've found to keep the rotary engines warm at high altitude is to keep them running full-out. Apply blip to control your speed, but only for a couple seconds at a time. This also means that paying attention to your tac during a dive will be especially important.

I'm referring to throttle. Honestly, I haven't monitored it recently (with the overlay guages), but I haven't noticed mixture making a difference, with the obvious exception of the maximum RPM that results from proper mixture setting. Some aircraft have a throttle (I believe the N17 too) and by running at less than full throttle (thereby generating less heat), I've encountered engine damage by over-cooling. If you just make it a point to make sure your engine is running as loud and often as possible, it shouldn't be a problem. When you need to dive for extended periods at reduced throttle (to control your speed and/or not rip off your wings) you're most susceptible to the over-cooling problem. It's most pronounced in the n28. Blipping seems to me the best compromise between high engine RPM and controlling your speed (while in formation, diving, etc.).