Se5A Dd Generic Skin - My First Idea About The Skin

I like the concept. Doesn't look exactly "Generic" to me though. ;) The S.E.5.a presents its own challenges when trying to come up with designs. It does have a great tail and nose section though. The radiator is also something I find intriguing.

I like the concept. Doesn't look exactly "Generic" to me though. ;) The S.E.5.a presents its own challenges when trying to come up with designs. It does have a great tail and nose section though. The radiator is also something I find intriguing.

No I know, but it was just an idea. I could let say make about 10 of them, use different call signs like DA, DB, DC, DD, DE.... and make a different engine cover Drawing (to replace the eagle head). Heach AC would have a different serial number on the tail. I could also use numbers on the sides instead of a combination of letters.

Remember these would not be personnal skins but DD skins to be used by the member of the DDz that dont have a personnal SE5a skin or have one but would like to use one of those. If they want to use them when playing (single or online).

I don't know....may be I'm full of it here :) What do you think ?

MT

Personally I really don't feel the skin makes a difference as far as plane spotting goes in ROF. If a plane is close enough to make out the skin then you will spot it no matter what. I believe the LOD offsets any advantage/disadvantage that the skin would make. Also all the skins of a type have the same alpha map which is responsible for the sheen of the plane. The shine is going to be the same no matter what color your skin is.

Anyways I've never thought that a plane was harder or easier to see based off its skin. If anything when I dogfight someone with a bright skin it seems to just enhance the experience for me. It's really nice to see some variety instead of the same dull skins over and over. When looking for targets and tails I find myself not looking at color. At spotting distance you really can't see colors anyway. I find myself looking more for shapes and movement. I've run the game with and without HDR effects and doesn't seem to make a difference. Your plane will be producing a slight stream of white or blue smoke anyways which will give you away before the skin comes into play methinks. I guess what I am saying is if I scan a piece of sky or ground I'll spot a plane before I can make out the skin. I guess this is part of the reason ROF requires the skins in protected mode to conform to certain brightness and contrast levels. Although looking at that skin of Trooper's it would break up the contrast pretty well and make the shape hard to pick out in real life. I think there are just too many stronger variables then the skin when it comes to plane spotting in ROF. The only way people will sneak up on you, it seems, is if you're just not looking in the first place. That's just my experience with it. If anyone else has any thoughts on it speak up.

Trooper, no yeah that is fine and good. We need some generics for the camel too but the more the merrier.

I think it's a great skin 'Trooper. I really like the checkerboard tail and work on the engine cowling. The SE5a is my favourite ride. My only suggestion is could the really nice tribute to BG that you put on the tail of your Camel skins be incorporated into this design. Looking down on the 'plane from the rear is there room to place this on the left upper wing surface, in board of the roundel?

Personally, I think it's too busy for a generic skin, but it's great work (as always)! I really like the checkers on the tail, but not so much on the cowling, not sure why. I like the white tail too, with the white extending along the fuselage, but again not so much on the cowling. Not sure on the bird's (cardinal?) head either, maybe that that space could be reserved for individual designs/monikers. The "DD" lettering reminds we more of WWII than WWI, perhaps it's too big, I dunno, but I do like where they're placed. Perhaps try the simple lettering much like is found on the historical skins?

Personally, I think it's too busy for a generic skin, but it's great work (as always)! I really like the checkers on the tail, but not so much on the cowling, not sure why. I like the white tail too, with the white extending along the fuselage, but again not so much on the cowling. Not sure on the bird's (cardinal?) head either, maybe that that space could be reserved for individual designs/monikers. The "DD" lettering reminds we more of WWII than WWI, perhaps it's too big, I dunno, but I do like where they're placed. Perhaps try the simple lettering much like is found on the historical skins?

I agree Gus ... I personally, and it's just a personal preference, like the skins to be more historical in nature. As a general rule the RFC aircraft weren't as heavily customized as the German aircraft were and I prefer that. I also agree with your comments about location of the white paint on the fuselage and the checkering and I don't like the cardinal's head ... again that's just me and certainly not a reflection on the fine work MT did on the skin.

I do like the idea of the lettering on the top wing, it can help in getting the flights organized and keep wingmen together. In addition it's nice to know who you're looking at if/when you get shot down and are spectating. I'm not particularly worried about the size or the font.

JoeBob

HI Guys,

Thanks for your great comments and suggestions. I'm really glad that you like the idea. This skin is just a draft and therefore I really am looking for your inputs, comments and ideas so that I can make one that most of you will like. I'm open for anything. I'll examine your replies when I get home cause right now I'm on the road until Sunday afternoon. I shall get back with something to show you on Sunday evening.

Thanks again.

MT

HI Guys !

This is the update of the skin. All letters and numbers are more like a WW1 look alike font (Its the same font used with the camels). Dedication is on the wing, different engine panel work, I plan to use alphabetical call signs, like this one is DA, it will be followed by DB, DC etc. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

SE5A1.jpg

SE5A2.jpg

SE5A3.jpg

SE5A4.jpg

SE5A5.jpg

SE5A6.jpg

Great stuff 'Trooper. Thats perfect for me. Gets my vote :goodjob:

Thanks Arthur. Due to the lack of interest / responses, I'm thinking about quitting this project. We'll see what happens. I certainly wont submit something for the Squad, when the Squad did not agree on it.

Thanks.

MT

One thing I would add as I've done on a S.E.5.a I was working on some time back, is make the radiator an antique sort of brushed or polished brass color and texture. It looked really good on the on I did and I think it would just add the icing on the cake to this one. Its funny I did this one several months ago and you had the exact same idea about the engine covers as me. Great minds think alike. Please excuse the aliasing.

post-591-0-66875400-1318975707_thumb.jpg

Great stuff 'Trooper. Thats perfect for me. Gets my vote :goodjob:

Thanks Arthur. Due to the lack of interest / responses, I'm thinking about quitting this project. We'll see what happens. I certainly wont submit something for the Squad, when the Squad did not agree on it.

Thanks.

MT

Oh I doubt that there's a lack of interest, it's just very tough to get something that everyone's going to agree on. Anyone who's ever attempted to make a skin knows how time consuming it can be and we all have our own ideas about what makes a good skin. That's especially difficult when you're trying to introduce a level of standardization that will hold true for all DD aircraft.

My recommendation would be to do what you've done, submit a skin for suggestions, take those you like and discard the ones you don't like and then offer whatever degree of customization that you think would be easy to do. Then submit it to ROF ... hell if someone doesn't like the skin ... they don't have to use it wink.gif

I personally appreciate the work you've done on these and would like to see some DD skins out there. If I can help in any way let me know.

Joe

Thank you Mayhem and Thank you JoeBob :)

Excellent. I have made a few changes I think are for the better. See pictures below.

I have enlarged the sides Call Signs so that it will be easyer to recognize who is flying beside you in game. For that I had to move the Roudels on the sides.

I have added a White Dove on the Blairgowrie dedication;

I have cleaned up the engine panels;

I have added a brassy texture and color (Mayhem's idea) and it looks great I think :)

SE5aGen2BW.jpg

se5agen2Acopy.jpg

SE5aGen2Ccopy.jpg

SE5aGen2Dcopy.jpg

SE5aGen2Ecopy.jpg

SE5aGen2Fcopy.jpg

SE5aGen2Gcopy.jpg

Please, tell me if I can go ahead and do the rest of the pack and submit them to RoF.

Yes / No / Comments ?

Thanks.

Ya know what? I like it! As a matter of fact...I was thinking of building a 1/3rd scale S.E.5a for R/C use.....I am leaning heavily toward using this paint scheme...I love it!!

Thanks David. I appreciate it!

Looks good MT ... I realize these are generic skins but are you planning to offer some customized SE5a skins? If not perhaps you could provide some templates (and whatever font you're using) and we can throw our own together.

Thanks,

Joe

Ya know what? I like it! As a matter of fact...I was thinking of building a 1/3rd scale S.E.5a for R/C use.....I am leaning heavily toward using this paint scheme...I love it!!

Looks good MT ... I realize these are generic skins but are you planning to offer some customized SE5a skins? If not perhaps you could provide some templates (and whatever font you're using) and we can throw our own together.

Thanks,

Joe

Hey JoeBob,

The Template is in our vault. Here is the link for those that want to play with it and make their own: http://dangerdogz.com/forums/files/file/565-dd-se5a-templaterar/

The Fonts that I have used are mentionned in a readme.txt file that is with the template file.

I will be making personnel ones for sure :)

MT

Thanks,

Joe

Hey JoeBob,

The Template is in our vault. Here is the link for those that want to play with it and make their own: http://dangerdogz.co...5a-templaterar/

The Fonts that I have used are mentionned in a readme.txt file that is with the template file.

MT

Thanks MT, I'll take a look at it ... when I can break away for a bit.

Let us know when you plan to submit so we can get out mods in.

Joe

Thanks,

Joe

Hey JoeBob,

The Template is in our vault. Here is the link for those that want to play with it and make their own: http://dangerdogz.co...5a-templaterar/

MT

Thanks MT, I'll take a look at it ... when I can break away for a bit.

Let us know when you plan to submit so we can get out mods in.

Joe

HI JoeBob,

As you probably saw, the call sings version of the skin is already submitted for voting on the RoF web site. I don't know when we are going to submit the Presonnal SE5a skins yet. Since the next patch is probably going to be out soon, there is no real rush to submit them. So..when you have them done, just let me or Mayhem know so we can collect the skins and prepare a pack for submission. As for standradization of the SE5 Skin layout, I don't want to impose one so anything goes. We should however try to keep the roudels at the same place and maybe the white tail end with the checkered tail fin and the emplacement of the DD logos. I'dd like to know what you guys are thinking about that !!

Don't forget to read the included readme file with the template.

Thanks.

MT