Real Il-2 Flies!

BluBear

Well, I never thought this would actually happen, but some clever chaps in Russia have restored one of our beloved IL-2s to airworthy.

This is quite a momentous moment for warbird preservation, up there with the recent (real) Fw-190 resto.

Crazy to think that this is the only flying example of one of the most produced aircraft in history.

• 2. Administrators

I think this may be the same aircraft that was being restored in the uk a few years back. We used to get tantalising mentions of it very infrequently until about 7-8 years ago when all the sources dried up. I heard mention that the restoration was stalled due to lack of funds. Its possible the project was sold on. Hopefully we'll see it here one day!

Wow, complete with buwet holes and everything. I'm surprised that the government hadn't restored one for nationalistic purposes. Bye the way, did you see all the ribbons on that guys jacket.

P.S.

FT, everyone knows that the Mig 21 was what really helped the French win the BOB.

Guy has a Hero of the Soviet Union medal as well.

Always makes me shiver from excitement when they restore a first plane of its kind to airworthyness again. It's really strange how out of the two most produced warbirds like the IL-2 and 109, only a couple can actually fly today.

Does anyone know what kind of powerplant pulls that IL-2?

• 2. Administrators

Prolly a licence-built Allison :D

Kidding aside, I agree that one of a kind is very special - to the point of being unique...

I'll get my coat.

Jabo

Kidding aside, I agree that one of a kind is very special - to the point of being unique...

I'll get my coat.

Jabo

Actually I'm led to believe it is in fact an original (reconditioned of course) AM-38.

Check the video again and you'll notice the cowlings all seem accurate to the type, plus the tell tale sign is the rotation of the propeller which is the opposite to an Allison.

I stand corrected, it is indeed Allison powered, and must have an opposite handed gearbox from a P-38 or summat. Whatever, it's a beauty!

It was restored in the same facility that recently brought the Mig-3 back to life and rumour has it that the IL-2 is set to join the Fw-190 at the Flying Heritage Collection stateside.

:thumbsu:

Edited by BluBear
Found more accurate information!

• 1. DDz Quorum

I'll get my coat.

Jabo

Actually I'm led to believe it is in fact an original (reconditioned of course) AM-38.

Check the video again and you'll notice the cowlings all seem accurate to the type, plus the tell tale sign is the rotation of the propeller which is the opposite to an Allison.

I stand corrected, it is indeed Allison powered, and must have an opposite handed gearbox from a P-38 or summat. Whatever, it's a beauty!

It was restored in the same facility that recently brought the Mig-3 back to life and rumour has it that the IL-2 is set to join the Fw-190 at the Flying Heritage Collection stateside.

:thumbsu:

WHAT MIG 3? Where? Show me...NOW!!!

Ahhh....this MiG 3. Sounds Allison powered too :D