Other Modding Silent Hunter 5

Snacko

This is the support topic for the tutorial Modding Silent Hunter 5.

Please post here if you have any questions or feedback.

UPDATE: 11/4/12

I have zipped up my personal jsgme mod pack and uploaded it to my Google Drive. It is about 350meg. All you do is install SH5; patch to 1.2; enable these mods; and read the readme file to tweak the enemy difficulty and learn a few things on playing.

Get my download pack here.

Snacko

Awesome, Snacko! Silent Hunter has been one of my favorite games for years. When 5 came out, I was... angry might be an appropriate word for it. Besides the completely ridiculous DRM protection, it was just such a huge step back in terms of the gui and gameplay. I was really sad about it. Looks like I'll have to reinstall and give it another go!

Not sure what DRM protection is, but you still need to connect to the UBI server just to start the game. After you connect the server is no longer needed though.

These mods make it a whole new game. Far beyond what you would expect from just the devs.

ALSO:

Check this out: http://www.silenthuntermods.com/forum/index.php?topic=692.0

DRM = Digital Rights Management

I won't get into my rant about the morality of modern DRM, but since I'm such a Linux nut, it shouldn't be hard to guess my stance on the subject. =) In this case and UBI is really getting known for this crap, they require an active internet connection to play the stupid game. So games that I might normally play while on the plane, or while away from home, I suddenly can't without tethering my phone, and not everyone has that option. You additionally run the problem of not being able to play at all when UBI has problems with their servers, which has no direct impact on the game at all, other than to prevent your enjoyment of it. It's a unfortunate trend by current publishers to include this form of DRM in their games, but there are some things in the pipe that give me hope. The new Free-to-Play model that a lot of MMOs are going to is promising, and you're seeing that model crossing genres really well. Plus you have a lot of indie games getting some serious attention (ie minecraft) and that can't help but be healthy for the market.

So yeah. That's rant free. lol

I tried to show SH5 to my uncle up at the lake this week and had problems. But I did finally get it connected and was able to who it to him. But I was staying next door, at my aunt's cottage, and she does not have wifi. So, I found myself leaning out the window, or walking around they yard, just to try and get on his wifi for 2 seconds to connect so I could play. That sucks.

At least Steam has an Offline mode that is supposed to let you play when not connected. It worked at first, but then it started asking if I really wanted to start in Offline Mode, and when I clicked Yes, it said it couldn't connect to the server and ended. WTF!!

yeah, steam will work in offline mode, but I don't think you'll be able to get SH5 to do it. Even if you installed with the physical one instead of steam, you still have to connect to UBI's servers to get it to work.

I believe CoD is using the same protection, btw. I haven't looked to be sure, though.

• 1 year later...