Come On In, The Waters Fine!

I like this latest beta patch (and mini patch). The colors, to me, are good. My frame-rate with shadows on and ultra high settings (1920x1200) is 30 (avg) and with shadows off they are 60 so flying the Hurri and Spit is a joy (don't know how to fly anything else yet).

I went through the first several missions in the single player campaign this morning, no problems at all (well, I still have trouble warming up the Hurri correctly...several perforations after take-off but that is my fault, not the game's).

I also spent an hour on a public server with 20 or so fellow pilots, no issues there at all.

I am not going to say that this game is fixed completely, that would be silly and as you all know..I am never silly. But I do think I would be willing to spend more time flying online with any of my fellow Dogz if they are interested.

Just my .02 (minus taxes and excise fees that would be worth about -.35)

David

• 2. Administrators

yeap, its sure getting there.

give me proper antialising and multicore support and its going to be awesome beyond belief.

really impressed with the new beta patch, post hotfix.

really impressed with the new beta patch, post hotfix.

Yes, the new beta patch with it's hotfix has recovered the game performance which was lost with the previous beta. I'm back up to 30-50fps again on my modest system and it's smoother than ever so well pleased. They seem to have toned down the haze and turned up the contrast again. The landscape does look better but I think the rather beautiful sunsets have been lost along with a bit of 'atmosphere.' The sea is still much poorer than before. I'd like BongoDrivers opinion on that since he spends a lot of time flying over it. The cockpits seem to have been sharpened up too.

Online is very good again, nice and smooth, still the occasional CTD but things like dot recognition/sighting distance seem to have been improved no end. I've stopped using the SASO option too, don't seem to need it now. Anti-aliasing is still up the creek but for me this is a minor aspect as the overall graphic quality more than makes up for this.

If I've read the lead dev's posts correctly over on the Banana forums then anti-aliasing is still a ways off.

I now hope they can settle down and sort out all the other stuff like the A.I. behaviour, the horrible GUI, give us some sort of an understandable coop mode, give us command over A.I. wingmen, the option to disable ground shadows, tweak flight models, proper loadouts, etc, etc........................................................................................

However, if anyone wants to arrange an outing on one of the public servers like ATAG which hosts the channel map then I'm right up for it :thumbsu: Perhaps we can hit 'em with the Dogzford Wing!!

I kind of lost interest after the first beta and until the AA and multicore issues are sorted I'm going to be patient (which is really quite rare for me at least), I do have a quick blast maybe once a week in the forlorn hope I was wrong about the abortion that is SoW (ClOD is still a stoopid name).

• 1. DDz Quorum

I kind of lost interest after the first beta and until the AA and multicore issues are sorted I'm going to be patient (which is really quite rare for me at least), I do have a quick blast maybe once a week in the forlorn hope I was wrong about the abortion that is SoW (ClOD is still a stoopid name).

Ditto Zooly. However, I haven't touched it for months.

• 2. Administrators

Well you know how scathing of it i've been of Clod, and despite having to walk away this afternoon for a few hours before i beat the crap out of something, while i was trying to get my custom ammo loads to actually bloody stick (which i've now done praise the lord), I'm for the first time starting to really enjoy it with this beta patch.

It is immeasurably better than on release now, and although still misses many things that i crave, aa, multicore support, proper boost levels for RAF fighters, the correct prop on the Spit1a , i could go on, BUT its finally becoming fun to actually play.

Granted i did by a £400 gfx card.

never the less, i've played the game for more hours since the beta patch, than for all of the other time of its release.

• 2. Administrators

Likewise Kev, CloD for me has improved considerably since release. It's just a pity that getting the results requires so much in the way of investment in the hardware side.

Jabo

I like this latest beta patch (and mini patch). The colors, to me, are good. My frame-rate with shadows on and ultra high settings (1920x1200) is 30 (avg) and with shadows off they are 60 so flying the Hurri and Spit is a joy (don't know how to fly anything else yet).

I went through the first several missions in the single player campaign this morning, no problems at all (well, I still have trouble warming up the Hurri correctly...several perforations after take-off but that is my fault, not the game's).

I also spent an hour on a public server with 20 or so fellow pilots, no issues there at all.

I am not going to say that this game is fixed completely, that would be silly and as you all know..I am never silly. But I do think I would be willing to spend more time flying online with any of my fellow Dogz if they are interested.

Just my .02 (minus taxes and excise fees that would be worth about -.35)

David

David

Found the beta, cant seem to find the mini patch,

AP

So are we approaching the point where a dedicated server might be useful?

Frankly Rog, no. Not by a long way yet. If you check out some of the multiplayer threads over at the 1C forum you'll see multiplayer is still a wrestling match at the moment and the most populated servers such as ATAG and Repka represent a hell of a lot of work by a few dedicated individuals. Perhaps in two patches time.

It's getting there but there's still a hell of a lot of work needed. Spent half an hour recently chasing "phantom" bomber formations which disappear upon approach and then reappear behind you. Still the odd CTD's too.

If the guys want to get in the air then I'd recommend the ATAG server at the moment. It can be great fun but it's still a work in progress.

I agree, the graphic issues are getting ironed out , IMO, but there is still a long way to go before this is a working sim to replace 1946 or even compete with it.

Graphics are pretty, gameplay is getting better, multiplayer is still pretty rough.

• 2. Administrators

Kev's right, you need some serious gfx capability and having tried it on a dual-core processor, I'd say a quad was pretty much mandatory too.

Dependant on cost, it might be worth investigating what's required in the way of a dedicated server tho Rog?

Jabo

new official patch is out, working nice for me,

gallery_607_5_197827.jpg

Hey Fruitbat,

It has improved that is for sure. I have flown one single mission this afternoon to test it out but for me, it is still a bit laggy, I get some stuttering and when on the ground the aircraft is still turning and other stuff. Its going to get there eventually.

MT

Yes, much better once you turn the mirror off, which is worth quite a few FPS. Flew one flight today with Zio and another fellow. Correct ammo belting strafed and killed and AA gun and shot down 2 human 109s back to back. Not bad, but I hope that multicore support comes soon. Still, I must admit, its starting to come together decently, lets hope this trend continues. I was averaging 30 fps 100 ft over London with half high, half medium settings, lowest FPS was 26. Climbing to altitude FPS is in the 50s to 60s. There are still some things that bug me, but shooting down those 2 109s and seeing the subsequent explosions was exhilarating for sure. We might have something really special here once its polished out.

AMD x4 Phenom II 840 3.2Ghz stock

Nvidia MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 ti 1GB @ 975Mhz core, 1950Mhz shader

4GB G.Skills DDR2 5,5,5,15,20