Computer Just Crashed Completely

Painless

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Chaps,

I was just on TS with you guys (Tuesday) and suddenly my game computer crashed with strange anomalies on screen and a loud staccato noise in my headphones replacing your voices.

It was frozen with no mouse and no Ctrl / Del so I did a "cold reboot" and when it started up I had graphic anomalies during the Windows XP start up screens and then a very wierd screen as attached below :-

post-316-0-20664900-1314128869_thumb.jpg

I have rebooted it several times and the same thing happens.

HELP !! :(

Sorry for the sudden departure BTW.

~S~ Gameless.

~S~ Chaps,

I was just on TS with you guys (Tuesday) and suddenly my game computer crashed with strange anomalies on screen and a loud staccato noise in my headphones replacing your voices.

It was frozen with no mouse and no Ctrl / Del so I did a "cold reboot" and when it started up I had graphic anomalies during the Windows XP start up screens and then a very wierd screen as attached below :-

post-316-0-20664900-1314128869_thumb.jpg

I have rebooted it several times and the same thing happens.

HELP !! :(

Sorry for the sudden departure BTW.

~S~ Gameless.

Ouch! :-\ I'll hazard a guess and say that your graphics card has gone on the fritz, possibly through overheating. I'd look to find a graphics card to swap in there and test my hunch. (No jokes about bells please)

What is the spec on this rig?

B

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Chaps,

Thanks for the quick response Rog, Jeddi, Brando :thumbsu:

The card is an Nvidia 8800GTX and is about 3 years old. I have a spare 8800GTX so I will change them over and see what happens : )

Not sure if this helps but the machine is about 5 years old, 4 months ago it had............. 750W power supply , 4G of Corsair ram and a better fan on the GPU.

I have had no problems since the upgrade other than a change in voice volume issue with TS3.

Cheers, Painless.

Hmm...we are talking about Painless here....I vote Alien incursion and prescribe a tinfoil hat. (sorry painless, thought a bit of levity might be in order).

I have a couple of good GPU's soon to be in a drawer (HD5850) that I would loan you but shipping across the pond would make it pointless.

EDIT: You posted seconds before I did

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hmm...we are talking about Painless here....I vote Alien incursion and prescribe a tinfoil hat. (sorry painless, thought a bit of levity might be in order).

I have a couple of good GPU's soon to be in a drawer (HD5850) that I would loan you but shipping across the pond would make it pointless.

EDIT: You posted seconds before I did

~S~ PropNut sir,

My wife thanks you for the injection of "levity" !! :roflmao:

Actually I have been surprisingly calm about the whole thing so far (most out of character) but that could all change if the GPU swap does not work .Can't even kick the dog because he would bit me !! LOL

The worse thing is not being able to fly with the boyz this evening dam it.

Cheers, Painless.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Quit typing, and put on your spare <_<

Hey Todd,

Will do that tomorrow evening because I have had a few "medicinal" Bacardi pour Homme mit der Coke und zee ice .

Got to work nights on Thursday/Friday so flying will have to wait until the weekend at the earliest If all goes well.

Wish me luck :laughing7:

Cheers, Mick.

I find it amazing that anyone could be good enough friends to allow another man to inject anything into his wife... I did ask a friend of mine, and he informed me that the term "mucker," would be appropriate between two individuals in that sort of close relationship. Apparently either that, or Welsh. I didn't catch the significance of the second comment.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Chaps,

LOL Rico.

Thanks for the offer Nick m8, I will bear that in mind !:thumbsu:

I have switched the GPU for the spare and I now have a working computer again : )

On the first start up "new hardware found" and install wizard came up as expected so I uninstalled all of the old Nvidia components, restarted and then tried to install the latest Nvidia driver (version 280.26)

I got this fail message:

post-316-0-36277500-1314222959_thumb.jpg

Only the Graphics Driver seems to have installed not the other components ??

I tried re downloading and installing again, no joy.

I must have done something wrong somewhere so can anyone help me out please ?

Cheers, Painless.

• 1. DDz Quorum

You don't really need the other things mr P, the Nvidia updater is just an auto updater, which is quite unnecessary. All you really need is the driver, which you have installed.

Quite right.

There is a way to ensure a completely fresh install, 'gis a call if you want to go through it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Failing that Mick, I've got an 9800GTX here if you feel the need for an upgrade.

Jabo

~S~ Nick,

I think I might need to buy your 9800GTX asap m8. I started my game computer just now and the monitor cannot find a signal at all. It flicks from anolog to digital trying tyo find a signal for about 30 seconds then gives up and goes to standby.

I have checked the connection lead to the graphics card and all is fine. Have restarted several times, no joy. I don't even see the windows start up screens.

The monitor is a Samsung 226BW.

I'm thinking the graphics card has gone tits up ?

Any advise or help appreciated.

Will be away in Reno all next week but can check out the forum tomorrow in the day before I go up to Heathrow to meet Skidders.

Cheers, Mick.

• 2. Administrators

Have you tried a different monitor - just to rule out the possibility.

Refresh my memory, did you swap out the power supply?

I'll dig out the 9800GTX.

Jabo

P.S. Give me a call if you can find your phone - ;)