What I've Been Doing This Summer

fruitbat

• 2. Administrators

As some of you guys will know, i work on a few farms in the summer helping with the harvest normally, although this year i've been cultivating instead,

my toys for the summer,

05082011303.jpg

05082011304.jpg

06082011305.jpg

red arrows about to take off,

14082011308.jpg

14082011309.jpg

20082011315.jpg

21082011315.jpg

28072011295.jpg

29072011296.jpg

29072011297.jpg

scares the shit out of people when i drive it on the roads, truth be told, scares me a bit :laughing7:

should be getting back to normal in a few weeks now, looking forward to a rest!

and lastly my friends for the summer,

29072011299.jpg

29072011300.jpg

Alfred Hitchcocks 'The Birds' anyone.......

Nice photos Fruit,

I showed them to my wife, she enjoyed them, she is a farm-girl.

Entertaining anecdote; when I took my wife to Europe a couple of years ago...did she want to see the ancient castles? No...did she want to see the ancient churches? No....did she want to see the great technological marvels of Europe? No...she wanted to find a pig farm and compare methods, lol.

Sure beats a pair of horses and a plough! Well, at least while you have fuel for it. :)

To most of us, farming seems simple enough, but in truth, it sure takes a shitepile of knowledge to do it well!

cool stuff! thanks for sharing the pics.

Interesting pics Kev. Why are you drivin' a tank and not a proper Tratter? Are wheels not man enough to pull all that kit? Also, does it have a steering wheel or levers?

You know you'll never be a proper farmer 'till you've had your hand up a Ewe's wotsit on a frosty February night tryin' to get a Lamb turned! :icon_puke_r:

• 2. Administrators

Interesting pics Kev. Why are you drivin' a tank and not a proper Tratter? Are wheels not man enough to pull all that kit? Also, does it have a steering wheel or levers?

You know you'll never be a proper farmer 'till you've had your hand up a Ewe's wotsit on a frosty February night tryin' to get a Lamb turned! :icon_puke_r:

3 main advantages are horse power, thats 450 (still could do with a bit more, want the 600 HP model), turning circle, and less compaction of the ground, plus the tracks will let you go when conditions wouldn't let you in a tractor a little bit more.

although you can and do have, and i've demonstrated a few this year, get tractors of that sort of power, the turning circles are crap compared, and you end up having to lift up, back up and scrub out your tracks a hell of a lot more when your doing the headlands of fields which is time consuming, plus the tractors of that size are heavy and the wheels compact the ground much more than tracks, and one of the main things i'm trying to achieve is to uncompact the ground, ready for the next crop.

it has a steering wheel, which is hyper sensitive, kind of throws you when you get back into your car after driving it for 12 hours or so, and wonder for a moment why your car isn't turning....

also has a decelerator pedal rather than an accelerator, which was interesting to start with, lol.