Hey all, just wanted to share the progress so far with all you ROF junkies. Let me know what you think and if you'd like any special customized decals or paint added. I'd like to keep the basic paint schemes fairly close but adding logo's saying or symbols will add a little bit of individualizing. Or, if you'd like, I can just give you guys the base paint scheme and you can add your own customizations with Gimp or Photoshop which will save me a lot of work. I do think however, and let me know all ya'll feeling on this, that we should keep the dogs symbols and country markings the same for uniformity sake. Also the placement of and font used for aircraft markings should be the same though feel free to add your own sayings or logos in whatever style you want.

The only other question is do you want color do you guys want? I've got Black or Green for the Camel right now. The Black actually looks pretty nice as its not too dark or even close to jet black, so the skin texture and details still shows up nicely. The green looks lovely too so have your say on what you would prefer. Heck even brown is pretty nice depending on the shade. But first of all let me ask of you guys want the whole squad to be the same color or should we have a choice of black or green and maybe even possible brown for the camel. As long as the Base Decal layouts are the same, I don't think having different colors will be a problem. To be honest after thinking about it now I think most normal colors would be fine including blues, red and yellow, it all depends on how historically relevant you guys want to be. Have your say, let me know, your feedback is appreciated.

post-591-0-81574900-1312496332_thumb.jpeg

HI Mayhem, wow, I love them skins my friend. Good work. I'dd prefer the green one for me so please if you can add the letters MT would be great.

Thank you for this. I guess when you have everyone's skins ready you will submitt them for approval. That's the intentions right ?

MT

Very nice, Mayhem! I think I prefer green myself, though that black does look really nice too.

I'd be interested in getting the pdfs so I could play with it, but if you could do one with an "R" for me, then that's all I'd care to have submitted right now.

Thanks, Mayhem. Great idea, and great execution, mate!

Ok, here's an update. Sorry I got totally sidetracked trying to find a decal for my plane. Everything I found on the web was either not right or copy written so I just drew my own, scanned, and painted it. I'll be working on you all next, sorry I just got target fixation. Actually I had MT's done but the stupid program locked up on me and I couldn't save it. I think I have the problem fixed now so I'll resume where I left off. Thanks for the encouragement. Here's some screenies to keep you entertained.

Just want to know, do you guys think the DD logo on the top and bottom of the wings it too much? I'm beginning to feel that they may not be necessary and perhaps I should heir on the side of simple elegance.

post-591-0-34392500-1312604256_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-70651500-1312604280_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-56437800-1312604295_thumb.jpg

I agree Logo on side only, Then Pilot Number located central top on wing.

Then pilot name (Mayhem) located on side near pit possibly, but they didn't do that in WW1 that I'm aware.

Thinking number on bottom of elevator double numbers would split across.

I'm thinking this only for identification.

In this game the pace is a bit slower and you get a chance to read and identify stuff like this if its big enough.

The rest looks fine, good job!

Mayhem, do you think you could post a tutorial on how to edit the skins? I have all the tools, but am not sure how to go about editing it. This way perhaps we could all create our own and you would not need to. To submit custom skins I think we would need to create skins for each aircraft type as well as each pilot. Perhaps we could spread the work out to several of us?

David

OK, I'll lose the logos on the wings. If you'd like me to get with me on coms I'll gladly go over the process however let me direct you here and here. You are also going to have to conform to the process of skin approval if you want to be able to use them in MOD off mode. You can find that info here.While there is nothing wrong with submitting skins 1 by 1 but I feel for the Entente they should be uniform a possible for the most part, the Central forces is another thing. Let me at least finish your camels as I am already in the process. What you do with them from there is your business. I would think that having them submitted for approval in a group fashion might be beneficial and cause us to be taken more seriously. I'm not quite sure how loose the requirements are for a skin to be considered "historical" and any deviation whatsoever from an actual paint scheme used in WW1 might disqualify the skins from that category. This is not to say that having a loosely historical period correct skin isn't acceptable for MOD off mode approval. While I realize you guys want time period correct skins they will never be perfectly historical while customized at the same time. And if we want them to be uniform we are going to have to agree on base first or the point is lost. Once you know the skinning process for ROF you're of course free to make whatever you want. I just wanted to make some standard squad skins so if we choose we can all suit up in the same dress and take to the skies in a pack while looking more ominous and formidable.

Here attached is the first batch of skins for the Camel. I've gotten myself, Mad Trooper, Gustang, Propnut, A.P.Hill, and Rico covered so far. Anyone who wants one let me know or just just download one of the attached skins and alter as necessary. I just ask that you try to keep the lettering and the placement of said lettering and logo the same or as close to the same as possible. Once you open the User.psd (SC_DD_Mayhem.psd, ect.) add new layers and add the graphics or decals you wish. Save the file as a SC_DD_yourname.psd and attach it to this thread so I can convert them to the proper .dds format that ROF needs with the proper alpha channel. If that doesn't work for some reason let me know and you can just upload it to the vault.

Thanks and hope you guys are satisfied with what we've got so far. I'll probably be doing either the SE5A next or the DVa. Let me know what you would like to see next.

Now if you're interested in learning how to make and save skins for ROF you'll need to have DXTBmp installed if you're using GImp, not sure about Photoshop but the 2 tutorials linked to in the ROF forum are here for Gimp and here for Photoshop. If you need further help I can probably be of assistance.

If you are comfortable with converting the files yourself and get them working in the game in Mod On mode feel free to take the required screenshot and send it to me with your finished skin as it will save me some work so read on. To get these skins approved for protected (Mod Off) mode in ROF there are a few things required. The link to the requirements are here. There are 2 links in there, one having the basic requirements and the other is a new version but you should read both.

A screenshot of the skin is required. The image requirements are in the link I posted. Basically it looks like you need 2 images one at 1024x768 and another at 300x100 resolution but I'm checking on whether both are still required or just the 300x100 now. You need to have post effects switch on as well as bloom. The gamma must be set to 50%. The screenshot should be taken in flight and at about cloud level from the looks of it. The picture must be taken of the starboard side at maximum zoom and no other objects should be visible in the picture. There should be clouds in the background. Here's an example.

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/download/file.php?id=14826

Thanks again and see you in the unfriendly skies soon.

A.P.Hill.zip

Gustang.zip

MadTrooper.zip

Propnut.zip

Rico.zip

Here attached is the first batch of skins for the Camel. I've gotten myself, Mad Trooper, Gustang, Propnut, A.P.Hill, and Rico covered so far. Anyone who wants one let me know or just just download one of the attached skins and alter as necessary. I just ask that you try to keep the lettering and the placement of said lettering and logo the same or as close to the same as possible. Once you open the User.psd (SC_DD_Mayhem.psd, ect.) add new layers and add the graphics or decals you wish. Save the file as a SC_DD_yourname.psd and attach it to this thread so I can convert them to the proper .dds format that ROF needs with the proper alpha channel. If that doesn't work for some reason let me know and you can just upload it to the vault.

Thanks and hope you guys are satisfied with what we've got so far. I'll probably be doing either the SE5A next or the DVa. Let me know what you would like to see next.

Now if you're interested in learning how to make and save skins for ROF you'll need to have DXTBmp installed if you're using GImp, not sure about Photoshop but the 2 tutorials linked to in the ROF forum are here for Gimp and here for Photoshop. If you need further help I can probably be of assistance.

If you are comfortable with converting the files yourself and get them working in the game in Mod On mode feel free to take the required screenshot and send it to me with your finished skin as it will save me some work so read on. To get these skins approved for protected (Mod Off) mode in ROF there are a few things required. The link to the requirements are here. There are 2 links in there, one having the basic requirements and the other is a new version but you should read both.

A screenshot of the skin is required. The image requirements are in the link I posted. Basically it looks like you need 2 images one at 1024x768 and another at 300x100 resolution but I'm checking on whether both are still required or just the 300x100 now. You need to have post effects switch on as well as bloom. The gamma must be set to 50%. The screenshot should be taken in flight and at about cloud level from the looks of it. The picture must be taken of the starboard side at maximum zoom and no other objects should be visible in the picture. There should be clouds in the background. Here's an example.

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/download/file.php?id=14826

Thanks again and see you in the unfriendly skies soon.

Excellent and Thanks Mayhem. I'll get back to you for my finished skin.

OK, here's an SE5a. I know all these skins seem kinda plane (haha get it) but I want to leave plenty of room for you to customize to your liking so have at it. Let me know what you think (I'm sure you will anyways) and if you'd like to see anything changed. Things should start to pick up once I start working on the Central forces aircraft but I trying to get the main Entente forces out of the way first.

post-591-0-24027000-1313026015_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-35423600-1313026021_thumb.jpg

MT and I were talking an we would like to get these skins back in 2 weeks time, so lets say Fri the 26th of this month. We want to get at least the Camels and hopefully the SE5a in the next update of ROF so time is of the essences. To anyone else wanting a ROF Camel who did not receive one, unless you have absolutely no idea how to use Photoshop or Gimp, you can grab the template I posted in this thread and decorate your own. I only as that you keep the font and logo sizes and positions the same. Also if possible please keep the font style as close to the original as possible. The font used is called 'Shonar Bangla Bold'. Please save with layers intact to .psd format and post it to this thread when you are done. If you have no clue how to edit the the .psd file of the template just get with MT or myself and we'll get you squared away.

Thanks to everyone for participating and for all your great suggestions. I will sink to a new low and quote Larry the Cable Guy in saying "Let's git er done!"

MT and I were talking an we would like to get these skins back in 2 weeks time, so lets say Fri the 26th of this month. We want to get at least the Camels and hopefully the SE5a in the next update of ROF so time is of the essences. To anyone else wanting a ROF Camel who did not receive one, unless you have absolutely no idea how to use Photoshop or Gimp, you can grab the template I posted in this thread and decorate your own. I only as that you keep the font and logo sizes and positions the same. Also if possible please keep the font style as close to the original as possible. The font used is called 'Shonar Bangla Bold'. Please save with layers intact to .psd format and post it to this thread when you are done. If you have no clue how to edit the the .psd file of the template just get with MT or myself and we'll get you squared away.

Thanks to everyone for participating and for all your great suggestions. I will sink to a new low and quote Larry the Cable Guy in saying "Let's git er done!"

Mayhem, I'm almost ready to send mine to you. I'm just doing the last final touch on it.

MT

I looked at the tutorial, and I now have a headache. Would someone like to do a skin for me? I'm really not very picky.

Yeah, no problem BA I'll do it unless MT wants to. I'm really shooting to get these done by the end of the week and will probably dedicate some time to this in the next couple of days. The only other things I need to do is get the descriptions read and take the appropriate screenshots. Hopefully MT will help me out and do half of the screenshots once the skins are all ready to go. I will probably be busy for until Tuesday or Wednesday so that doesn't leave me a whole lot of breathing room but making a skin for you should be no problem as most of the work is already done. The main problem is I haven't even settled on what I want for my skin yet so I better make up my mind quick. Oh and by the way as a reminder I still need Gustang, Rico's and whoever else I forgots skins in the next 2 or 3 days.

I looked at the tutorial, and I now have a headache. Would someone like to do a skin for me? I'm really not very picky.

Yeah, no problem BA I'll do it unless MT wants to. I'm really shooting to get these done by the end of the week and will probably dedicate some time to this in the next couple of days. The only other things I need to do is get the descriptions read and take the appropriate screenshots. Hopefully MT will help me out and do half of the screenshots once the skins are all ready to go. I will probably be busy for until Tuesday or Wednesday so that doesn't leave me a whole lot of breathing room but making a skin for you should be no problem as most of the work is already done. The main problem is I haven't even settled on what I want for my skin yet so I better make up my mind quick. Oh and by the way as a reminder I still need Gustang, Rico's and whoever else I forgots skins in the next 2 or 3 days.

Hey Mayhem I"ll be happy to make one for you just let me know what you would like :)