More Start Up Woes

DD_Arthur

Went to fire up my game pc tonight for the first time in a fortnight and the bloody thing freezes whilst starting up. Done this four times in a row now. Seems to make all the right noises then just freezes. I think the HD stops whirring.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, Win7 64bit.

ps, Aaarrghhhh...............

Does it display anything?

Just go through all the connections and make sure they are snug.

If the HD is not turning, try a spare.

Also I recently found if you remove the control board off of the HD and clean all the contacs on the board and the pins on the HD lightly with a pencil eraser it might just work again.

I've revived two lately and recovered all the info on them, and am using them again.

Does it display anything?

Just go through all the connections and make sure they are snug.

The screen freezes with however far it gets. First time it happened eveything loaded normally, went on Google when mouse froze. Screen still displayed, just frozen.

I've just gone through the connections and all seems o.k. Pretty sure the HD stops turning when the freeze happens. Also, it now seems to be freezing up at shorter intervals after start up now.

Started it in safe mode but still froze. :icon_cry:

• 2. Administrators

Looks h/w related to me Arthur m8 although thats a fairly useless diagnosis given how many things it could be. I'd be inclined to run memtest too to rule out memory problems.

Jabo

O.K. Fitted an old HD just now and it's gone into the same freeze after a couple of minutes. Gonna pull it all down tonight and have a good look-see whilst reseating ram, cpu, etc. Also got a different cpu to try too.

We've got a wedding this weekend and then off to France for a few days next week and I really, really have the urge to fly with the guys tonight. Most annoying. :icon_twisted:

If the worst comes to the worst and I need a new motherboard, what are my options? I'm running a Gigabyte P35 which has done me really well and would prefer to stay with Gigabyte. I've also got two Intel dual core cpu's ( an E6600 and an E8400) which I'd like to stick with for the moment. Obvious;ly, something multi-core is the target for the future but I'm not sure if I can get a compatible board with my present cpu's?

If I do isolate this to a motherboard problem I'd like to get something ordered on evil-bay before we go away so I can fit it immediately we return.

Thanks for the advice so far, guys. :thumbsu:

Ah......this is looking very good. Been swapping around ram and looks like one of my sticks is up the swannee. PC now been running for twenty minutes with no problems. Gonna give it a workout in Orthos next and if that goes o.k. then will order more ram before buggering off on a spot of hols tomorrow.

Happy birthday, DangerDogz!! :thumbsu:

Looking forward to flying with you all again soon.