Duxford Air Show September 3Rd And 4Th

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

As Jabo suggested, there is a another show in September which normally has lots of Spitfires..its the 75th anniversary :)

I have already thrown it out to my wife and daughters about a day drip, and they have said that they would like to join me.

Anyone else fancy it?

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/conEvent.3563

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Ok guys let's start getting a proper head count and start making arrangements for meeting up.

My initial thinking is 10.00 outside the American hanger?

I am taking my wife and daughters and they would love to meet as many of you as they can

Salute

Friar

• 2. Administrators

Well I'm definitely going and I may have Claire in tow as well. If she isn't coming I'll be there about 9am, if she is, I think we'll be there sometime around mid-morning.

Jabo

Latest and last participants list now online:

Click here

Saturday looks good, two Vampires added and the Patrouille de France!

Shame Miss D is Sunday only, but otherwise it looks like a reasonably balanced line-up. Just can't wait to see/feel/hear that Strike Eagle... Whooooosh! :laughing7:

• 2. Administrators

Yes shame about Miss Demeanor - might see her arrive if she's overnighting at DX, but here's a nice picture for those who don't know this Hunter;

miss_demeanor_img_7885.JPG

The rest of the line up looks pretty good though.

Jabo

Different Aircraft old boy!

Up until now the only airworthy Mk I has been AR213, which we are all familiar with and is listed static tomorrow.

This example, P9374, has been under restoration for a while and is I believe the first of three more Mk I Spits to come out of Area 51 (Historic Flying Limited).

Another one recently departed DX on a trailer to another destination and I believe featured on some Monster Moves program or summat.

Exciting Spitfire times for sure!

• 2. Administrators

Yes, the one featured in the Monster Moves progam is of particular note as it was the one Painless sat in.

The Mk 1 one we saw in the jigs in Area 51 in 2010 is the one just completed I think...

Jabo.

P.S. Well, I'm ready, car sorted, cameras charged etc etc. Roll on tomorrow!

• 2. Administrators

Yes shame about Miss Demeanor - might see her arrive if she's overnighting at DX, but here's a nice picture for those who don't know this Hunter;

miss_demeanor_img_7885.JPG

The rest of the line up looks pretty good though.

Jabo

So thats what that was, i saw that at manston a couple of weeks ago!

wish i could come, but i'll be working alas.......

have a great time chaps!

I will however make it to your B-Day Colin, looking forward to that.

On an aside, saw a silver spit yesterday flying overhead, can't remember seeing it before, any ideas, all i could tell was it was silver, and a merlin......

• 2. Administrators

Back safe and sound in Coventry, thanks to Friar, Fenrir, Blubear, Zooly and Big Enk plus all families for a great day out. Weather top notch for a change, interesting to see the revamped Red Lion. Great flying too!

Pictures to follow.

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

A great day, good to meet up again. High light for me the Yak display team, 6 or 7 ships in tight formation doing "red arrows" type stuff, as well as the Spits showing off a bit.

Afterwards we went to the Red Lion for a bit to eat. The place was only open for the day, probably because the heard the Dogz were coming back!

The old place has certainly changed, I feel the old character has now gone. I took some pictures on my new iphone and as I have not got used to the way it words yet they are not brilliant but hope it will give an impression from those that knew the old place what has gone on...

Picture 1 - The new bar

Picture 2 - Side extension, you can just see through the windows that old "cottage" that stood in the far left hand corner of the car park, I think it was accommodation for the staff?

Picture 3 - They still let anyone in though!

Picture 4 - Towards the old front door on the main road

Picture 5 - Taken standing in the old doorway looking towards what was the beer garden

Picture 6 - Taken looking towards what was the reception area / old toilets / TV area

post-311-0-66999700-1315130249_thumb.jpg

post-311-0-12496900-1315130259_thumb.jpg

post-311-0-76612200-1315130268_thumb.jpg

post-311-0-60637300-1315130284_thumb.jpg

post-311-0-90930400-1315130299_thumb.jpg

post-311-0-68550100-1315130312_thumb.jpg