Crash @ Flying Legends. :-(

[rgmw]largie

From the horses mouth!

The video in the first link may only be available to UK viewers.

This video from Meridian news

Rob Davies said: "As I broke to land, the no2 a/c broke too early and turned in tight so he couldn't see me any more. He hit me with his wing damaging my a/c and his own." He added: "My a/c was crippled in pitch...it had no pitch control"

Also from the BBC:

Edited by BluBear
meridian video also found

wonder what happened that caused the pitch to go?

I would hazard a guess that all the fouled metal at the impact area was causing the control cables to snag and bind or something like that.

He explains in the Meridian video that he considered belly landing in a field but quickly realised the pitch control was too far gone and prepared to depart.

I think a pilot with lesser experience may not have faired so well.

Fairly clear pictures of the collision damage to the P-51

With this added detail, I'd hazard to say. The Buckling of the fuselage, in the direction it did, would in effect tighten the cables, thus rendering them bound to broken.

Oh and I know for sure niether of us was intending to belittle his ability or skills.

Just I'm sure he will reflect on it both directions for the remainder of his life I'm sure.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ BluBear m8,

That is pretty much what we though happened after seeing the first full video clip of the crash.

What an incredibly cool customer !

I noticed that he referred to the Frenchie as "the other gentleman" LOL

~S~ Painless

I'm just glad they both get the chance to hit refly.

I'll drink to that Toad!

In a related matter, i've just found some video of the 'other' Skyraider incident.

During their slot on the Sunday, the other French Skyraider (with a vast array of bombs etc under-slung) broke from the formation to do solo passes leaving the remaining pair to do aerobatics, as per Saturday's display.

However, upon running in from the East he managed to get shockingly close to two Spitfire's that were on finals to land and had to take evasive action. He continued to circle over the village for the remainder of the display, and didn't take part in the Balbo at the end.

Not a good weekend to be French and in a Skyraider, or perhaps not a good weekend for anyone else to be near French Skyraiders!

Watch from about 1:50:

Edited by BluBear
time stamp

• 2. Administrators

My guess is ATC ordered him to orbit clear of the airfield until he could land and if they were investigating the incident he may not have been cleared to fly in the Balbo.

Jabo