Up 3.0 Problems?

Gothkrieger

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not surprised, I know how you like your San's FOV changer.

Can't live without it. I've been doing quite a bit of modding to my UP 3.0 already and after making a tiny change to my FOV changer it started working again so I don't know exactly what fixed it. I'll tell you this though, many of the mods were as simple as copying them from the old MODS folder to the new #UP# folder though some do require a little more work. I've gotten about a dozen mods installed right now as well as several cockpit and map repaints. Its looking good now and I am a happy camper.

Well just for the record the issue with the FOV changer seems to be hit or miss. If I start the game and it is working it works fine as long as I don't exit the game. If I start the game and it's not working I have to relaunch the game and then if it works I think it stays working but never had this issue in 4.101 so something is definitively effecting it in UP 3.0. Could be the new executable.

I would like feedback from other San's FOV changer users. Have you experienced any issues since the changeover? Also can someone please confirm if the FOV changer is necessary anymore or is UP 3.0 capable of rendering the 3d in true 16:10 now?

Hey Mayhem, I don't know but I would love not having to use San's FOV changer (is UP 3.0 capable of rendering the 3d in true 16:10 now?). On my system, both on single player and Multiplayer mode, sometimes I get it to work great and sometimes it doesn't. I have to end the game and restart it a couple of times (not always) to get it to work :(. It didn't work for me with the U_platinum Universal mod on.

MT

Ah, well at least I don't seem to be the only one. Completely restarting the game usually fixes it for me and then the problem doesn't come back. Still, it's pretty annoying as you don't know till the coop starts whether its ok or not. If I remember correctly running regular 4.101 it still works just fine all the time so it's just with UP 3.0 that the issue pops up. Still haven't gotten an answer as to if UP 3.0 renders anything other then 4:3 which surprises me with all the heads around here. I looked in the release note but didn't see anything about it so I am assuming it won't with the widescreen mod which is probably only for the menus. I can't tell by just looking at the game.

Oh and by the way, whoo hoo on the campaign mode for ROF. It's really awesome.

Can't live without it. I've been doing quite a bit of modding to my UP 3.0 already and after making a tiny change to my FOV changer it started working again so I don't know exactly what fixed it. I'll tell you this though, many of the mods were as simple as copying them from the old MODS folder to the new #UP# folder though some do require a little more work. I've gotten about a dozen mods installed right now as well as several cockpit and map repaints. Its looking good now and I am a happy camper.

Well just for the record the issue with the FOV changer seems to be hit or miss. If I start the game and it is working it works fine as long as I don't exit the game. If I start the game and it's not working I have to relaunch the game and then if it works I think it stays working but never had this issue in 4.101 so something is definitively effecting it in UP 3.0. Could be the new executable.

I would like feedback from other San's FOV changer users. Have you experienced any issues since the changeover? Also can someone please confirm if the FOV changer is necessary anymore or is UP 3.0 capable of rendering the 3d in true 16:10 now?

Hey Mayhem, I don't know but I would love not having to use San's FOV changer (is UP 3.0 capable of rendering the 3d in true 16:10 now?). On my system, both on single player and Multiplayer mode, sometimes I get it to work great and sometimes it doesn't. I have to end the game and restart it a couple of times (not always) to get it to work :(. It didn't work for me with the U_platinum Universal mod on.

MT

Ah, well at least I don't seem to be the only one. Completely restarting the game usually fixes it for me and then the problem doesn't come back. Still, it's pretty annoying as you don't know till the coop starts whether its ok or not. If I remember correctly running regular 4.101 it still works just fine all the time so it's just with UP 3.0 that the issue pops up. Still haven't gotten an answer as to if UP 3.0 renders anything other then 4:3 which surprises me with all the heads around here. I looked in the release note but didn't see anything about it so I am assuming it won't with the widescreen mod which is probably only for the menus. I can't tell by just looking at the game.

Oh and by the way, whoo hoo on the campaign mode for ROF. It's really awesome.

RoF is getting pretty nice I might add :) Its a really good sim for the WW1 kyte flying lovers!

MT

I confirm the issue. I did not have lot of time for tests so I did not discover myself that the (several) game restart(s) really works. However as I predicted this as the possibility, it IMHO proves my original suspicion that the problem is caused by two same-named il2fb.exe. If you take a look into task manager, UP 3 switcher (I expect) runs under the name il2fb.exe along the name itself, so you have two il2fb.exe in the task manager window.

When you browse FOV changer tabs carefully (or maybe it is the output of the Test button, do not know now from my head), you find the link to the Il-2 executable somewhere alongside the port number. So I suspect FOV changer to connect to the running .exe somehow. If it (randomly) chooses the game, it works normally. If it chooses the switcher, it does not work. In this case the go/nogo should be statistical (random), and the chance of "good" start should be roughly 1:1. Can someone confirm these figures, please.

In the case it is conformed, the remedy would be easy - UP 3 maintainers should just run the switcher as the other-named task...

I filled bug report for the UP 3 when I started google searches today and will cross-link this thread there now as well, as it has reports confirming my original idea.

• 1. DDz Quorum

So rename the launcher?

Is that a workable solution?

Tried.. it fails to load the real IL2.

Sounds like the FOV is indeed looking for IL2fb.exe and attaching itself, quite a common hook application method.

MT

I confirm the issue. I did not have lot of time for tests so I did not discover myself that the (several) game restart(s) really works. However as I predicted this as the possibility, it IMHO proves my original suspicion that the problem is caused by two same-named il2fb.exe. If you take a look into task manager, UP 3 switcher (I expect) runs under the name il2fb.exe along the name itself, so you have two il2fb.exe in the task manager window.

When you browse FOV changer tabs carefully (or maybe it is the output of the Test button, do not know now from my head), you find the link to the Il-2 executable somewhere alongside the port number. So I suspect FOV changer to connect to the running .exe somehow. If it (randomly) chooses the game, it works normally. If it chooses the switcher, it does not work. In this case the go/nogo should be statistical (random), and the chance of "good" start should be roughly 1:1. Can someone confirm these figures, please.

In the case it is conformed, the remedy would be easy - UP 3 maintainers should just run the switcher as the other-named task...

I filled bug report for the UP 3 when I started google searches today and will cross-link this thread there now as well, as it has reports confirming my original idea.

Excellent, thank you much! So I'm not crazy after all. Well, maybe just a little. So what would be the best method for getting this bumped up on the priority list? Or perhaps (and I'm tired right now I'll think about it tomorrow) is there is another workaround.

Sounds like some of you guys might have installed UP 3 over UP 2.1 which might cause problems, I don't see any 4GB thing or "expert mode" thing though maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Dance at the Ubi forum did this and says it works.

I haven't really seen any problems with UP 3, other than things that I'm not really happy about.

- no AI mod like in UP 2.0/2.1 which made offline flying a LOT more fun for me--apparently it causes problems with MDS and MDS is built into UP 3 with no way to turn it on/off. Hades says the AI mod might be put in down the line but I don't think it's a priority for them.

- it doesn't have the huge slew of JSGME options you can turn on and off so it forces you to use one set of mods for stuff like effects. But it does seem to run smoother than UP 2.1 did for me, though that's probably because it doesn't let you use the more intensive graphics settings I like to use in UP 2.1.

Basically it's catered totally to online players which is kind of surprising since UP 2.0/2.1 was so great for any Il-2 flying, though I guess it could cause problems with online flying because of all the options. Fortunately (?) the folks at SAS are working on Dark Blue World which is a mod pack that installs over UP 3 and is catered to offline players. I'm really not sure if it would work for co-ops. UP 2.0/2.1 was pretty good for co-ops because it had the AI mod and all the other goodies, but it did sometimes cause online compatibility issues. UP 3 works well for co-ops but it doesn't have that sweet, sweet AI mod.

• 2. Administrators

Rog, I was trying to help Painless with verifiying his UP3.0 downloads, and he said he was getting 15 errors.

Not believing that all his files were corrupt, I downloaded the first part and ran the MD5summer on my machine and it's giving me the same error (checksum does not match). Has something happened to the UP3.0 files in the Vault?

Jabo

Actually I've just installed the UP hotfix and voila, there are the 4GB and expert mode options. I didn't see them listed in the release notes so I wasn't sure what you guys meant.

Anyway if people are having trouble with the downloads they might want to get UP from a torrent. Ever since 4.09 I've always gone with torrents for patches and mods, if I try downloading the files normally I usually get corrupt files that cause errors.

Well I fixed that issue,

Then another dang issue occured. Stuck on loading humans 90%. If it ain't one friggin thing with new mods, it is another. :thumbsd:

To be honest I really have had it up to here with this. I will try and address it later when I am done being slighlty upset with all this fuss.

At least there are still some DF servers on HL with 4.10.1 that I do not have issues with. I will calm down by bombing the shit out of something later.

Thanks for letting me rant and I hope to be able to fly with my pack again some day in the future.

:-\

• 1. DDz Quorum

Tonar, the 90% loading freeze is a RAM and texture issue. Try setting 'TexCompress=2' under the [Render_OpenGL] section in your conf.ini, it worked for Sweper and Painless, might help you too.

That worked for me last night :thumbsu: First time I've had issues like that.

WTFO!

I get this every time I try and Join a UO3.0 server.

Frustrated with Frackin mods cutting into what DD time I have left :(

I'll be in a UKded server

gallery_315_25_140126.jpg

I get this when trying to log into the Dangerdogz server. Rog, is it something that needs sorting on the server end?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Well I fixed that issue,

Then another dang issue occured. Stuck on loading humans 90%. If it ain't one friggin thing with new mods, it is another. :thumbsd:

To be honest I really have had it up to here with this. I will try and address it later when I am done being slighlty upset with all this fuss.

At least there are still some DF servers on HL with 4.10.1 that I do not have issues with. I will calm down by bombing the shit out of something later.

Thanks for letting me rant and I hope to be able to fly with my pack again some day in the future.

:-\

~S~ Tonar M8.

I so understand your frustration with loosing flying time whilst fecking around with the fecking mods !

I had all of the same issues you have had and I am glad to say that they are all easily fixed as described above.

Just to make you feel a little better..... I had another issue last week where my computer decided to "restart" in the middle of a fecking mission and later went into a restart "loop" every 20 seconds !Turned out to be a failing power supply and/or Ram.

Thanks to Jabo's diagnosis and my £115 all is well again :thumbsu:

Stick with it Mike, the good times outweigh the bad !!

~S~ Painless.

PS: How is that wonderful family of yours doing ?

• 1. DDz Quorum
by Skiddly: That worked for me last night :thumbsu: First time I've had issues like that.

No worries matey. As I think Jedi pointed out, UP3 uses a whole new set of DLL files for grafix (as i understand it) doing things very differently from the stock and even previously modded versions of the game, I believe in an effort to make the most of some of the eyecandy available - I've noticed lighting and texture changes from between UP3 and even 4.101 ModAct; whilst the UP3 has some excellently smooth frame rates even over stock 4.101, I suspect those DLLs have ramped up the RAM attributed to graphics processes - or something similar - which means you run out of it much quicker, and the big maps, especially now with 'Perfect Map Textures' on as default - I'd prefer that as a selectable in JGSME btw - means we're eating up our RAM allowance quite smartly in UP3.

But bear in mind I have absolutley no qualifications to comment on this! Lol!

Thanks Guys,

I was just discouraged and have been down this road before. (4+ years with the Dogz) :thumbsu:

I had tried the textcompression=2 before I left last night and no joy. That is when I hung up my hat for the night. I will sort it out I am sure.

The funny thing is, last night everyone was describing how to fix it. But since I don't fly with the pack as much these days my ear has become de-tuned to the TS accents and I had a hard time picking it up. LOL!

Painless: The Family it good. Grandpa is in town from Mexico city and we just went to a great and exciting MBL Baseball game with a soldout crowd. Toddlers are fun at a major leage Baseball game. :icon_shaking2:

Go Rockies !!

Update on the host score problem

A small update on this:

Looks like it will require a bit more time and i hope to be able to fix it in the final release. (Although there are minor chances that this fix may delay further).

The most playsible scenario is that the new RC3 version that will be out this week won't have this "fix".

As we focus on Df server environment this thing went un-noticed. I also recommend to start using a DF server instead of coop hosting sine the MDS 1.2 equalizes these 2 environments and a DF server is much more suited for this. You also have better performance if you run the DF server in the SAME PC along with your IL2 client so people can connect without the need for another PC for DF Server.

Cheers :)