More Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Questions

Gothkrieger

So the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick has a twist feature for rudder, can the stick be locked so that its rigid? I know a person can probably not configure it for rudder I just don’t want it to twist at all if possible.

Will the stick work with Win7? I don’t have Win7 yet but I figure one day its bound to happen.

The Hat switch on the stick, it’s the lower one, yes?

• 2. Administrators

I don't think it can be locked (unlike, say, the X52), but my plan would be to reassign the rotation axis to the rudder pedals and live with it. Not really a solution...

Yes, it works just fine with Win 7, but the software that ships with the stick for programming the buttons etc doesn't so you only use the drivers that Win 7 ships with (not the stick's own) . Fortunately, both 1946 and CloD accept direct joystick inupts for control assignment so it's not desperate.

The Sidewinder 2 only has one hat switch. If you're talking about the X52 I think the hat switch is the top one, but as you can reassign them both it doesn't really matter. Is this for controlling the views?

Jabo

Gothk,

the MS FFB2 twist cannot be locked. I can't say it's ever been a problem for me in the 9 years that I've been using mine, but this is a subjective thing and what might not bother me could be annoying to you. I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to configure it for rudder; until I bought my CH pedals I had the rudder axis assigned to the twist axis- it worked fine after I fine-tuned the sensitivity.

One thing that can be annoying is that there's a sensor at the front of the grip which engages the stick when you are holding this and disengages it when you are not. I personally found this annoying but I just applied a bit of tape to cover up the sensor so that it is always "engaged".

As noted, I've used the stick for 9 years and, with the exception of the trigger button which stopped working (I think it may simply need to be given a bit of contact cleaner), the stick works as well as the day I bought it (for $20 at a local Goodwill!!!).

As Jabo noted, there's only one hat switch on the MS FFB. Since I have TIR, I havereassigned the hatswitch to control ancillary controls such as the lights.

The MSFFB (either 1 or 2) is a great stick!

With respect to Win7, I understand that Jabo is correct. I'm not sure if it is still possible to modify the force feedback effects. I never felt a need to, though I understand that many people reduce the gunfire recoil effect.

C_G

• 2. Administrators

Ah-ha! I didn't know about the sensor on the front of MSFFB stick - It's very annoying to have your stick go linp at the crucial moment just cos you've adjusted your grip :D

I shall be applying some tape forthwith!

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ah-ha! I didn't know about the sensor on the front of MSFFB stick - It's very annoying to have your stick go linp at the crucial moment just cos you've adjusted your grip :D

Jabo

~S~ chaps,

Now why didn't I think of that ! LOL

TY CG sir :thumbsu:

~S~ Brainless.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Downside to that is your stick will continue to feedback.

So if you are crashing and take you hand off it will hop off your desk, same if/when the FFB activate game crashes.

I do the opposite and keep the sensor cleaned, crap gets in there and reduces sensitivity until it thinks your hand is always on, otherwise it picks up proximity really well when clean ;)

• 2. Administrators

The problem I have Rog is that when flying, I get situations where becuase my grip has shifted the stick suddenly stops feeding back becuase the sensor believes I have taken my hand off the stick. Unfortunately I am still applying pressure to the stick which suddenly goes to full deflection and therefore I get a massive control input which often leads to a more serious problem.

This sounds great as a stick; it does seem to have some peculiarities that a person has to get used to. I had a purchase, from lined up from a fairly local guy (three hours drive from here), but he was a now show. CRAP! Back to square one.

• 1. DDz Quorum

The problem I have Rog is that when flying, I get situations where becuase my grip has shifted the stick suddenly stops feeding back becuase the sensor believes I have taken my hand off the stick. Unfortunately I am still applying pressure to the stick which suddenly goes to full deflection and therefore I get a massive control input which often leads to a more serious problem.

If sensor is dirty it is less sensitive and can do as you experience, cleaned up it increases sensitivity and lowers chance of FFB disengaging.

I have not had this problem, but as suggested a piece of tape will work.

Stick, IIRC, jumps when system is first powered up too!

This sounds great as a stick; it does seem to have some peculiarities that a person has to get used to. I had a purchase, from lined up from a fairly local guy (three hours drive from here), but he was a now show. CRAP! Back to square one.

How far away is long distance :lol:

• 2. Administrators

Ah, I hadn't fully understood your point Rog. Sorry about that.

Mr Krieger - you might have more luck on ebay, I recently paid just over $50 for a new one from there.

But have you guys that use the Sidwinder ever own and use any of the high end sticks to be able to compare it to them?

Fair point Goth.

The stick I had before was a Logitech Wingman FFB, hardly high-end. It was garbage (I had two brand new ones stop functioning within 10 hours of use!!) but I didn't want to spend the $100 on the MSFFB, then I found the MSFFB at the Goodwill and haven't looked back.

Like I said, with the exception of the trigger button the stick works as flawlessly as the day I bought it second hand. I attribute this to the fact that it has optical sensors (no possibility of spiking problems developing).

From the forums, stay away from the TM Cougar, or any ThrustMaster stick that does not have Hall sensors.... I have heard only tales of woe from people with that stick. What surprises me is that they keep the stick and spend another $200+ on new gimbals and sensors to correct a stick that doesn't work out of the box...

Since the stick has served me well, I've never had the need to buy another stick.

That said, if I had the money I'd be very tempted to get the TM Warthog; it's had very solid reviews (google to find the indepth review at SIMHQ) and comes with a GORGEOUS dual throttle. I lust after that stick (even though it doesn't have FFB) but simply can't justify paying that kind of money...

C_G

Yes I know the stick you speak of. I looks great, too bad it’s tailored so much toward a specific aircraft and not a WW2 one at that.

As well as the MSFF2 , I have been considering the CH throttle, rudder and stick combo. Not as expensive as the Warthog and that includes the pedal rudders which the Warthog does not have and would be extra. Its older technology but the components are supposed to be top end; I am very tempted to pick them up. I would cost another 230.00 more for the Warthog and rudder pedals situation for the same setup.

The CH stuff is top notch, You really can't go wrong with it.

I already have the pedals, and for some reason my X-45 dies I'll get a CH throttle to replace it.

I'll continue using the MFFB though, because its very good, and cheep to get.

One day when its not, I'll consider one of the CH stick, or something else at that time.

• 2. Administrators

During my time with the DDz, I've gone from a Saitek Cyborg 3D to the X52 Pro and now the Sidewinder 2 (although I'm still using the X52 throttle). While I love the X52 for it's myriad of buttons and things and being well put-together, the Sidewinder is edging it at the moment. I REALLY like force-feedback. Once the button box is built and I've got the facilities built into it that I miss from the X52 then I'll be happy (for a while).

Jabo

P.S. Neither of the old sticks failed, in fact I think the Cyborg went to Australia!

Yeah Jabo

I think to some degree Luck plays a part in how a stick performs. The X52 has had lots of bad press. The stick has a history of breakdowns, buttons and the like. I know one guy that says his X52 stick is inaccurate in movements just off centre position. I have a X45 right now, no switch is broken but there is slop in the stick making fine inputs near neutral position difficult. The Sidewinder is proving hard to pick up but I will keep trying. As long as my luck holds out and I don’t get one that’s on deaths door.

• 2. Administrators

You're probably right, I think it was Painless who had two X52's which went faulty before switching to a MSFFB stick.

Anyhoo, I've been pretty happy with the performance of mine, but the sidewinder rocks!

Jabo

Trying again on Friday to pick one up, different guy this time but still 3 hours drive away. Not too bad as I have to be there for business as well so I will just fit it in. Hopefully I will connect this time, unlike my last attempt to buy one.

Another +1 here for the MSFFB2!

I've had mine for about 7 years now (bought second hand) after going through a myriad of lesser sticks IMO.

Haven't tried any of the top range CH yet, but like most of the other guys here, I love my FFB.

The only problems i've been getting of late is connection problems at computer startup, causing the stick to violently thrash around resulting it having to be unplugged and plugged back in again (strange).

Other than that, it's superb. I'm actually going to be looking for another as a backup.