Videos Won't Play

Pooka

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi Guys, I put a computer together for a grand daughter, it works fine except for the most important detail, it won't play video games from CDs or DVDs.

The machine is way over built, I only know how to build gaming computers. ASUS P8P67 LE, Intel i-3-2100, ATI Radeon 5770 with Cosair memory and PSU (650), Windows 7(64).

It works fine but when you try to start "I Spy" the starting advertisement runs, it asks that you type in your name and when clicking to proceed the screens becomes black and the game stops responding. Other games do just about the same or flash that the game is 32 bit and we should consult our vendor for a different format.

I've messed with the compatibility settings and screen resolution to no avail.

Anyone else had this happen or think of a solution? Thanks.....

• 2. Administrators

Have you tried running the games in compatibility mode?

Also, I would try right-clicking the icon and selecting 'run as Administrator' sometimes that gets around programs that don't like 64 bit windows (I managed to get Lotus 123 (remember this?) to run on a Windows 7 machine by doing exactly that)

• 1. DDz Quorum

Tried the "Run as Admin...", didn't help. I'll try the compatibility in a few different modes, messed with that before but will try again.

The games are any where from three to five years old, I've had this problem on about 10 different games (CDs). I'll Dl some older and newer drivers, let ya know soon.

• 2. Administrators

Don't know if this makes much difference Pook, but are the games installing into the 'Program Files (x86)' folder or 'Program Files'. If they're 32-bit they need to be in the x86 folder. Better yet, like we do with IL-2, install them to folders outside the windows standard ones.

Jabo