What A Beautiful Wedding!

Blairgowrie

I don't understand why people are so enthralled by this, especially Americans. I though the world was working toward democracy, let the monarchy die already. They made their fortunes off the taxpayers and no one wants to give up the cushy lifestyle. Yeah, I know it's great for tourism but how many tourist actually see the queen or get invited to dinner? People go there to see the building, museums and lets not forget about Duxford. If you want democracy then embrace it in its entirety and let the past stay in the past.

Just my opinion, not meant to offend anyone. Besides think of all the people who had their heads cut off for no good reason. :axe:

By the way did I mention my wife is British.

Nice to see the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane flyover after the balcony kiss. If I understand correctly the Royal family did not evacuate London during the Battle of Britain, correct?

You are right Fireman they did stay in London and it did help morale. That Lanc was made where I used to work :)

• 2. Administrators

I don't understand why people are so enthralled by this, especially Americans. I though the world was working toward democracy, let the monarchy die already. They made their fortunes off the taxpayers and no one wants to give up the cushy lifestyle. Yeah, I know it's great for tourism but how many tourist actually see the queen or get invited to dinner? People go there to see the building, museums and lets not forget about Duxford. If you want democracy then embrace it in its entirety and let the past stay in the past.

Just my opinion, not meant to offend anyone. Besides think of all the people who had their heads cut off for no good reason. :axe:

Ummm, the monarchy doesn't actually rule Britain, you do know that right?

since the restoration, Britain has been a parliamentary sovereignty.

last time a monarch ruled Britain was Charles 1st in 1649. That didn't work out so well for him.

As the Victorian writer Walter Bagehot said "the Queen reigns, but she does not rule".

so basically, i don't see how the monarchy affects democracy in Britain one bit......

just saying.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I thought it was all brilliant, watched pretty much all of the day with the family, a great flag waving day, and I had the same thoughts about Pippa as well... ;) I would be willing to have Kate or Pippa join the Priory, I have a position for both of them.......

Ummm, the monarchy doesn't actually rule Britain, you do know that right?

since the restoration, Britain has been a parliamentary sovereignty.

last time a monarch ruled Britain was Charles 1st in 1649. That didn't work out so well for him.

As the Victorian writer Walter Bagehot said "the Queen reigns, but she does not rule".

so basically, i don't see how the monarchy affects democracy in Britain one bit......

just saying.http://dangerdogz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/3D/wink.gif

Agreed, however what is the point in keeping this fake monarchy or should I say royal family then? It is an antiquated system, get rid of it. They may not rule per say but I don't see any of them leaving office nor being pushed out either so there is still a level of control there. As I said just my opinion, we shall agree to disagree, no worries. ;)

The Yanks are really quite envious and the Brits adore their Royal family. Most of them do anyway. The Russians and the French murdered off all their Royal blood.

Hum, why doesn't the US have a monarchy then? Didn't we leave so they could have the right to rule ourselves? I don't see hoards of "Yanks" rushing back begging for citizenship. We don't need a royal family for our scandal and media circuses, we have people like Paris Hilton and Bill Clinton for that. Anyways they are all having such a party and living high on the hog, it feels more like dishonor to all the injustices incurred by that dynasty. The US makes reparations for slavery in an attempt to undo a wrong.Think of all the Africans they slaughtered, think of what they did to the Irish and Scotts. I think the best reparation they could give is to just let it go and step down. This is where nationalistic pride gets the better of men. Believe me you can say whatever you want about the US as I consider myself a citizen is name only. Just a difference of opinion, that's all. But hey, even South Africa has a president now.

The Yanks are really quite envious and the Brits adore their Royal family. Most of them do anyway. The Russians and the French murdered off all their Royal blood.

Hum, why the US have a monarchy then? Didn't they leave so they could have the right to rule themselves? I don't see hoards of "Yanks" rushing back begging for citizenship. We don't need a royal family for our scandal and media circuses, we have people like Paris Hilton and Bill Clinton for that. Anyways they are all having such a party it feels more like dishonor to all the injustices incurred by that dynasty. The US makes reparations for slavery in an attempt to undo a wrong. I think the best reparation they could give is to just let it go and step down. This is where nationalistic pride gets the better of men. Believe me you can say whatever you want about the US as I consider myself a citizen is name only. Just a difference of opinion, that's all. But hey, even South Africa has a president now.

I thought you left because of excessive taxation!

Hum, why the US have a monarchy then? Didn't we leave so we could have the right to rule ourselves? I don't see hoards of "Yanks" rushing back begging for citizenship. We don't need a royal family for our scandal and media circuses, we have people like Paris Hilton and Bill Clinton for that. Anyways they are all having such a party it feels more like dishonor to all the injustices incurred by that dynasty. The US makes reparations for slavery in an attempt to undo a wrong. I think the best reparation they could give is to just let it go and step down. This is where nationalistic pride gets the better of men. Believe me you can say whatever you want about the US as I consider myself a citizen is name only. Just a difference of opinion, that's all. But hey, even South Africa has a president now.

I thought you left because of excessive taxation!

Don't forget about freedom of religion. Besides, technically I'm not even lumped in with that bunch, my ancestors immigrated from Ireland and Austria. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with English people, just think that dynasty is overdue for the boot, but hey it is what it is. Some people just love a party no matter what. I mean John the baptist head was actually a Birthday present at one party and I'm sure all in attendance still had a great time. Well, except for John, but technically he wasn't invited.

Britain dosen't have a constitution in the same way as America and France dose. The monachy used to reign supreme but Cromwell did away with it. The English Civil War was Parliment against the Monachy unlike Republics which were the People against the Monachy.The power of the monarcy passed to parliament entirely except that they screwed up and became even more hated by the people than the monarcy and so were forced to bring back the king by popular demand. Except that they struck a deal whereby the monarcy became more symbolic with the actual power being held by the government. All the pageantry, ceremony, tradition and dressing up that us Brits are so keen on actually describes the balance of powers and checks and balances that make our strange system work and provides a measure of protection for the citizens. I always feel a little nervous when polititians like Blair try to water them down.

With America and France, however, it was the people who revolted against the monarcy and so it is the people who hold the ultimate power which is enshrined in thier constitutions. This is particularly striking in the EU. The British parliament accept the laws and regulations handed out by the EU Commission and enforce them on the people and there is nothing the people can do because parliament is soveriegn. The French government accept the same laws and regulations but the people just shrug, stick two fingers up and ignore them because the constitution was written by them. I actually quite like the French and thier anarchic attitude to petty beaurocracy and any rule they don't like such as parking regulations and rather despise the British tendency towards deferential forelock tugging. The saving grace of the British is thier odd sense of humour which they use as a weapon against everything especially themselves. We have a lot of Poles at work and they have absolutely no concept or comprehension of how our ironic style of humour works to the point of it being painful.

Understood, please don't confuse my words to say I take up issue with the British people, tho many see any opinion against the Royals as a personal attack. But this whole striking of a deal thing sure keeps the royals conveniently in their comfort zone doesn't it. Seems like quite a few Brits aren't happy with the government. Get a constitution, then you can just blame one another and hate your elected officials like people do in the US. We've had our fare share of nepotism too, but at least the people elected Bush Jr. to sit around and collect money while ruining everyone's life. On second thought, he didn't win the popular vote so I guess the people really didn't elect him it was the electoral votes. Man, no wonder the Brits and US are so close, we've got a lot in common as we don't get to choose what happens either.

Best intentions toward all, hope I didn't reign on anyone's parade too much.......well, you know what I......ah forget it. :laughing7:

• 2. Administrators

...then you can just blame one another and hate your elected officials like people do in the US.

Don't need a written constitution for that m8.

The EU on the other hand...Grrrr

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Understood, please don't confuse my words to say I take up issue with the British people, tho many see any opinion against the Royals as a personal attack. But this whole striking of a deal thing sure keeps the royals conveniently in their comfort zone doesn't it. Seems like quite a few Brits aren't happy with the government. Get a constitution, then you can just blame one another and hate your elected officials like people do in the US. We've had our fare share of nepotism too, but at least the people elected Bush Jr. to sit around and collect money while ruining everyone's life. On second thought, he didn't win the popular vote so I guess the people really didn't elect him it was the electoral votes. Man, no wonder the Brits and US are so close, we've got a lot in common as we don't get to choose what happens either.

Best intentions toward all, hope I didn't reign on anyone's parade too much.......well, you know what I......ah forget it. :laughing7:

We do have a constitution, its just not a written constitution.

Its also the longest running constitution in the modern world, no civil wars/revolutions/changes since the 1660's.

I can't think of another country in the world, thats had a 'same' system in place for anywhere near as long, without having revolutions, civil wars, and generally killing lots of themselves.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

@Rog,

made me proud to be English.....

Its also the longest running constitution in the modern world, no civil wars/revolutions/changes since the 1660's.

I can't think of another country in the world, thats had a 'same' system in place for anywhere near as long, without having revolutions, civil wars, and generally killing lots of themselves.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Technically the American Revolutionary war was a civil war. A civil war is a war between organized groups within the same nation state or republic, or, less commonly, between two countries created from a formerly-united nation state. The aim of one side may be to take control of the country or a region, to achieve independence for a region, or to change government policies. The original 13 colonies thought is was broke, and decided to fix it, at least for themselves.

Just saying.