• 1. DDz Quorum

Win 7 and XP dual boot (no upgrade path from XP direct to 7) requires at least 2 partitions, or disks.

So XP on disk 1 and install 7 on disk 2, easy enough.

MSFFB2 works fine under 7, but you loose ability to map keys to buttons.

32 bit vs 64 bit, 64 bit every time IMHO, when you put > 3GB in your system you can use it ;)

Win 7 and XP dual boot (no upgrade path from XP direct to 7) requires at least 2 partitions, or disks.

32 bit vs 64 bit, 64 bit every time IMHO, when you put > 3GB in your system you can use it ;)

You can't map the buttons on the FFB2?

Some buttons work fine by default, but I've mapped others using the Contol menu in IL-2. Are you saying that is no longer possible?

What Roger probably means is that you can map buttons in the game just fine, you just lose the ability to use the Microsoft software that came with the stick. There are third-party software that enables you to the same thing i.e label a keyboard button to a button on the stick. My MSFFB2 works just fine in W7 and CloD, however none of the shaking or the tactile functions work, the stick tension still there so the stick is operational.

That’s a relief.

Thank you Jedi.

So my FFB2 will work with Windows 7, it’s just the lack of Force Feedback in CloD that is the problem.

I’m so used to being able to feel when the aircraft is at the edge of stall, that not having it is going to be difficult for me to get used to.

Now I just need to educate myself on how to install Windows 7.

I've got a Intel Core 2 Extreme processor QX6700 at 3.46 GHz with QuadCore and I’m almost certain that it will support 64 bit. Which everyone seems to think is the way to go.

That plus the little matter of buying two GTX 470s for the promised SLI support.

• 2. Administrators

how much free hard drive space do you have, if its plenty, then you can just create another partition and install win7 on that and duel boot, that way you won't loose any of the stuff you already have.

if you don't have enough room suggest getting another hard drive, and duel booting of that.

oh, def get 64bit.

I’m not a computer whiz, so I have a Dell XPS 720. I’ve heard many times that Dells are difficult to upgrade, but it appears that I can swap my two GTX 8800s out for two GTX 470s, because Dell will sell them to me. But until the game supports SLI, that does me very little good.

This operating system problem is another matter. I’m currently running XP, which the game allegedly supports. Now I suppose I could purchase Win 7, and I might even figure out how to install it. But that is a pretty daunting task for a computer illiterate like me. Plus what happens to your old files? Do you have to download and save them to an external drive? Is it then difficult to load them back into Win 7? Will I have to reload every game and peripheral device from scratch?

Then there is the Force Feedback issue (which really P!sses me off). Right now the game does not support it and I have heard nothing from 1C that indicates they are even working on it. I’m also not sure if my M$ FF2 will even work with Win 7.

Then there is the 32 bit vs. the 64 bit. I don’t even know enough about this to ask the right questions. Is this just a software issue or is it a software/hardware issue?

Trib, there is no rush yet. The longer you leave it the better CloD will be patched up. I can't see it becoming a DangerDogz standard for a long while yet. Getting SLI sorted out is one of their priorities so if you do upgrade I'm sure two GTX 470's will work well.

I've been trying to run this thing on Windows XP for a week or so and it's been a complete waste of time. Last night I upgraded to Win7 64bit and it went very well and believe me I am a computer dunce :icon_cyclops_ani: To upgrade from 32 to 64 bit does mean in effect a clean install so you'll need to save everything you want to keep to dvd's or an external hard drive. I found this very helpful;

http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

Check out the videos too.

I also burnt a lot of 64bit drivers for various things to dvd beforehand. I have to say, after a week of wrestling with massive graphics corruption and the game crashing constantly on XP, it runs beautifully in Win7 and really is a thing of beauty. Well worth the hassle of changing operating systems. From now on it can only get better and better.

I agree not having support for FF is absurd and my Cyborg 3D force stick is now rather, um, floppy but I'm sure I'll get round it or end up buying a cheap Saitek X45 off of evilbay. I think this is another sign of a hasty release.

It's all been a bit of a hassle but it's worth it and I'm getting there. I think we've all forgotten that IL2 has been around for so long now and we've all been able to max it out on our systems for two or three years that there was a time when we had to wait for the hardware to catch up with the game. CloD is now on that path too. The developers now need to patch hell out of it before it's North American release on steam or they're all heading for a financial Gulag.

I have just orderd windows 7 and paln to dual boot so will send you a pm with some questions mate

S

[Trib, there is no rush yet. The longer you leave it the better CloD will be patched up.

I totally agree Mate.

I’m going to take it slow and easy.

I can see that this is going to be a long term project for me. Mostly because my work is going to be keeping me pretty busy for the foreseeable future. Things are still up in the air here. There is next to no Security Police or Regular Police out on the streets. This place is still pretty Wild West. I’m hearing that there is supposed to be a big protest of some sort Thursday (the end of the work week here) in Maadi where I live. It’s supposed to be about two blocks from my apartment. Hopefully the protest will stay peaceful.

I can also tell that I’m going to have to do a lot of research.