And Now For Something Completely Irrelevant

PropNut

I posted this on SimHQ but thought I would share ti here as well. This just proves that I really have no life outside the walls of my cell...er....home.

The axis, switches and buttons are controlled via two Leo Bodnar BU0836X controller boards (I can expand to 16 axis and 80 buttons).

I decided on solid maple to match the rest of the woodwork in my office (and I just like the stuff). My CNC cut the panels to size.

The wood is actually cut-offs from solid maple table legs that I made for a customer last week, that was handy.

The Axis knobs and levers are 1/4" plexi cut on my CNC and heat polished along the edges. The plexi is left over from another project hense the black paint on one side. I should have just used some new plexi as I think the black paint is too scuffed but I can remake them anytime.

The Trims are 10k, 10turn Bourne potentiometers while the other axis are 10k bourne panel mount potentiometers (Ebay finds). I will post pictures of the mechinisms if anyone is interested.

The Warthog Graphic must, of course, grace the drawerheads so I used the CNC to encribe each to a depth of 1/16". I would have made the drawerheads wider to hide the drawer slides and drawer mounts but they are tight to my chair as it is. There is no room to spread them out as the countertop supports are mounted on either side.

My Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals should arrive by next week and that will complete my rollout simpit.

Enjoy:

DSC04656.jpg

DSC04642.jpg

DSC04638.jpg

DSC04636.jpg

DSC04633.jpg

DSC04630.jpg

DSC04625.jpg

Yes, that is Cliffs of Dover in Eyefinity. But I must run it with low settings to get acceptable framerates so I usually rotate one of the monitors back to landscape and play it on med/high settings.

The BU0836 and the BU0836X are excellent. Use one for my avionics and trim box and it was super easy to set up. Nice setup you have now. Having a desktop/simpit hybrid is a great way to go but I'm still toying with the idea of a full fledged pit.

Freakin' sweeeeeeeeeeet! But of course, we now require a behind the scenes look at the works here. First I must know how the trim wheels work and how you know they are centered.

BA, I will get some pictures of the inner workings for you over the next couple of days, It would require that I disassemble the drawer.

As for centering, there is no self centering with the trims. I calibrate the pots in Windows and then assign them in IL-2. I then check them in 4.101's input utility and center them if they are not already.

Flying a Hurri yesterday was, hands off (for the first time) after setting my trims. The nice thing is that these are 10-turn pots, so I have lots and lots of room for adjustment with them.