Uk Cable Broadband And Routers

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Salute guys,

This is a "will it work" type question...

I am currently sorting out some PC issues for an elderly chap I help.

He has cable as his broadband. His connection is setup by connecting the modem to his PC.

He has had a few issues with virus's and such despite my best efforts to install software to try and protect him (mainly Zone Alarm Internet Security (paid for version)

I have now replaced this with AVG Internet suite (at his request as recommended by his son)

My question is....

I am thinking that he would be better protected if I was to put him behind a router as well.

I have a spare netgear router but it is one designed for ADSL, however, if the modem was being plugged via network cable into the back of the pc, wont the router work just as well with the modem plugging into that and then the pc plugging into one of the ports on the router?

Thoughts / Pointers welcome...

Cheers

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

If you connect the UTP of the modem to the UTP of the Router, as well as the PC, chances are the Router will not be a router, but a repeater/switch.

It's routing capabilities are usually setup between WAN and LAN. So between the ADSL connection, and the UTP connection(s). UTP to UTP is only using the LAN side, so no routing, no bridging, no firewalling...

If you really have a top of the line Router, there might be a possibility it can use a UTP port as being the WAN, thus creating a firewalling, but that's mainly me thinkin' creatively, freely, than based on knowledge... (I mean, it would be cool if it could do that wouldn't it? Hm, sounds like one would then get into the expensive professional line of managed switches and stuff...)

Basically, the answer is 'No', I think it won't work that way, no firewall in that setup. :icon_cyclops_ani:

• 1. DDz Quorum

I may have been wrong here and there.

I've just looked at a relatively new Sitecom Wlan router, and it doés have the functionality to use a UTP port for the WAN connection.

Although this specific one did not have an ADSL connection, yours might just have the functionality as well.

What brand/make/model is it?

you can use router as a firewall but configuring that type of firewall requires good knowledge about configuring rules. Usually the firewalls in the routers we have at home are disabled or set up as "allow all". so basically no use of them. that's why most of us have software firewall installed to.

the point is that even the most expensive antivirus or firewall will not save you from viruses if u as a user are not careful, and have at least basic knowledge about what not to do on the internet.

• 2. Administrators

Adsl routers can sometimes be set up as switches, but as FT pointed out, this setup provides little or no additional protection. My view would be to ensure he has a good av package which is able to update itself automatically and also to ensure that the software firewall is on, and windows is also set for auto updates. As Gec says, some users are capable of getting themselves into difficulties regardless of the safeguards in place, but this is sufficient for most people.

Jabo

PS a cable router will provide more protection, they're pretty cheap, so it's the next logical step

• 1. DDz Quorum

The best protection is education.

Firewalls are to prevent opportunistic outside attacks, and to ameliorate lack of education from within the protected zone.

Advantage of a hardware firewall over a software firewall is that they offer some insurance against lack of education, they don't put up convenient prompts asking if it is OK to allow this sort of traffic when something unusual happens.

Security suites such as Kaspersky have plugins that work within the browsers that have blacklisted malware sites, this helps with the education issue too.

A good suite will also have access to a database of applications and ports, and give some insight into what that application is and what it's trust rating is based upon user based collated data (again Kaspersky has this).