New Dell?

Bucky

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I was thinking of this...

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=37876&vpn=CSAZ%2D1000&manufacture=AZZA%20Technology

but I like the look and description of yours too.

What I like about my case is that it has 5 USB ports in the front. Yours only has 2.

I didn't realise you were looking at an HD6970. I have the 5970 which is identical.

If you go ahead with your wish list, our computers will be identical.

I was wondering about the usb ports on yours.According to the specs yours has slightly bigger dimensions too....and it's only about 30 bucks more.What do you think about cooling?Liquid or air?.....and who do I talk to about getting a tower out back?

..B(G) western division...lol

I was wondering about the usb ports on yours.According to the specs yours has slightly bigger dimensions too....and it's only about 30 bucks more.What do you think about cooling?Liquid or air?.....and who do I talk to about getting a tower out back?

..B(G) western division...lol

I have always been leery of liquid cooling. I don't think you need it as much as before the big 230mm fans came in to being. Because they are so much bigger, they don't turn as fast to move the air.

Are you going to throw in a couple of DVD burners? They are so cheap those days, you might as well get 2.

I use the LG brand and find them very good. They should also come with LG burning software.

I suppose I could throw in some burners.Air cooling was my first choice.I'm thinking the list is almost done 'cept for Windows 7 64 bit and a monitor.Thinking of a 23inch LCD widescreen.Not sure what brand or resolution.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I have had two Samsung monitors, what impressed me the most was their support when one started to go bad. Within a couple days a new monitor and the packaging to ship the troubled machine back. No Charge.

I'll stay with Samsung for this reason alone.

• 2. Administrators

I have had two Samsung monitors, what impressed me the most was their support when one started to go bad. Within a couple days a new monitor and the packaging to ship the troubled machine back. No Charge.

I'll stay with Samsung for this reason alone.

+1 to this.

when mine started to go bad, they came to my door and replaced it and took the old one back, within days.

excellent customer service.

Samsung it is then.

Now I'm deciding between amd and intel.I orginally went for amd,but now I'm on the fence.

I've heard that amd runs almost as fast as intel....I don't like "almost".I've also read that bottlenecks usually are related to processing power.But with a high end graphics card,like the 6970,it can be overcome.

I have no problem spending more bucks for a kick-ass intel,but would the benefits be noticeable compared to what I've come up with on the list?.....opinions anyone?

...from the list

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=58645&vpn=HDZ975FBGMBOX&manufacture=AMD

My Samsung had 3 adjcent pixels go bad within 6 months of buying it. Their site says they won't replace it until you get something like 10 or 15 (I can't remember). So, I have a spot on the edge with burned out pixels. It's not that bad, but a little annoying that they would not replace it...

• 1. DDz Quorum

Bucky, on my last build, about 7 months ago, I went with a Intel motherboard from ASUS. On such a board you can use either AMD or NVIDA for a graphics card.

The CPU had to be Intel, but the graphics could be either manufacture, SLI or Crossfire didn't matter. So if you want to go with the 6970, your still able to use either type MoBo.

This is what I'm using:

ASUS P6X58D Premium MoBo

Intel i7-920 CPU

HIS Radeon 4890 Turbo+ GPU

Mushkin Redline Memory 6GB

Western Digital Hard Drives 300 & 74 GB Raptors

Corsair 850HX PSU

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 CPU Cooler

Windows 7 Home Premium 64

I've got the itch again since you & BG started this, its a lot of fun to build yourself. I had someone that knew what they were doing watch over while I put it together, but have built two since. Not that hard mate.

Samsung it is then.

Now I'm deciding between amd and intel.I orginally went for amd,but now I'm on the fence.

I've heard that amd runs almost as fast as intel....I don't like "almost".I've also read that bottlenecks usually are related to processing power.But with a high end graphics card,like the 6970,it can be overcome.

I have no problem spending more bucks for a kick-ass intel,but would the benefits be noticeable compared to what I've come up with on the list?.....opinions anyone?

...from the list

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=58645&vpn=HDZ975FBGMBOX&manufacture=AMD

In benchmarks Intel will be slightly faster. In game there would be no noticeable difference.

No real need to go watercooled unless you overclock and want to squeeze a few more mHz out of stuff. Either way, you won't get that much of an improvement over air cooling if you're using much lesser than a custom LC setup. The pre built watercool setups, like H50 or H70, are normally meant to compete with high end air coolers.

The 975 X4 BE is a great Quad. High binned at 3.6gHz makes it a quite snappy little processor. Review here.

Check this out, 3 way SLI, with the option to run RAID 0, threw in a case and monitor just for reference purposes https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=19438007

Argh! Sorry guess that link didn't work, try this one and let me know http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19438007

Tha link works Mayhem.Good reference point for sure...thx

The price is $3000.000.I'm at about $1300.00 at the moment.

On another note,today I visited a fairly new computer store in town,and it turns out they work closely with NCIX.Some sort of affiliation or something.The guy said he could get what I need from them at just a "little" more then their (ncix) prices,and give me a deal on shipping.

But I am suspicious,because I don't know them and I haven't heard of their reputation yet.I'll ask around be fore I commit to anything,but it does sound hopeful.

The place is gamer oriented,with lots of gamer type stuff on the shelves.....oh.and he says intel over amd any day,and nvidia over ati too.

Guys,

On the list I've added 2 different choices for certain components.I'd like your thoughts about them.

But you'll be happy to hear that I think I've pretty much got the stuff I need for the rig,and will stop looking for more now.

I've learned that the more you look the more you find.That's ok though,because I sure didn't want to regret not getting a particular item/upgrade once it arrived.

Here's my impression of me going through the process....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbZAofv571w

Bucky,

Yeah I had just seen you said you could afford $3,000 but would prefer around $2500 when I posted the system. That price was for 3 480gtx cards at $400 a piece. If you only got 1 480gtx and were not planing on running RAID you could get the system down withing your budget if you already have a monitor. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19438007 If I am not mistaken Newegg will even (or did at one time) assemble and test the machine for a small fee. They also have a great selection of pre build systems to choose from, check here http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=10&name=Desktop-PCs. They have the best customer service. I always build my own machines but if I was going to buy a pre build I'd get it from them. Most of the parts have a 2 or 3 year warranty. As for building a system yourself it is also that hard and you have all of us here to help. Maybe not with this machine but you should try it one day. It can be quite a rewarding experience but I understand your concerns.

Guys,

On the list I've added 2 different choices for certain components.I'd like your thoughts about them.

Corsair A50 vs A70 review HERE

Phenom II X6 review/comparison with X4 HERE

Corsair AX 850 review HERE

About the TX vs AX powersupply, I'd go for the AX. It is based off a more stable platform(Seasonic X) and it is fully modular. The only beef I personally have with the Corsair TX750(which I own) is that it has a bit of noise/ripple going on. Not too bad, it is still within ATX specs but the AX doesn't have ripple or noise almost at all. Which means more stable power delivery.

About the Phenom II X6, get it if you can afford it but you don't need 6 cores for gaming these days and probably a long ways into the future as well. There are no games out there yet that can utilize more than four cores. If you run video processing/encoding and loads of multitasking with multiple threads etc. the X6 is a better choice.

Bucky,

Since NCIX will price match you might want to try this. It won't find everything but it might save you a few dollars. http://hardwarecanucks.pricecanada.com/

I have just done a shipping check for NCIX and the cost to ship a PC down here is only $50. Probably less if they were shipping local within Province. If you had each item shipped separately I am sure it would be a lot more.

I would also disagree with the guy who owns the store you have been talking with. There is no other card on the market as quick as the 6970 but your choice mate..

If you go with a full tower with 230mm fans, I think you are wasting your time to buy a separate CPU cooler. A stock one will be more than sufficient.

• 2. Administrators

I would also disagree with the guy who owns the store you have been talking with. There is no other card on the market as quick as the 6970 but your choice mate..

disagree.

while its the fastest ati card on the market, its still not a patch on a nvidia GTX580 and even as good as a GTX480, and the GTX580 is clearly the best single card option on the market at the moment hands down, speed for speed.

of course, its also the most expensive card to.....

• 2. Administrators

yeah, but look at any benchmark tests of actual games, and you will see different for 'most' games, although not all.

there are a few that perform better with ati card, but most seem to perform better with the gtx580.

some benchmark links just googled,

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1568979

http://www.techspot.com/review/337-asus-geforce-gtx-580/page6.html

http://www.hwcompare.com/9289/geforce-gtx-580-3gb-vs-radeon-hd-6970/comment-page-1/

there both good cards, but i know for sure which i'd get if moneys no option.

The GTX580 is the fastest single GPU card and 5970 is the fastest dual GPU card, and card in general. Well, the ROG Ares is the fastest card but that's a triple slot card with two 5870 cores and a huge cooler. Pricey as hell and most won't even be able to fit it into their rigs. It's huge.

Fruitbat, if money's no option I'd get a GTX580 myself. The 3GB Phantom. *drool*

3gbgrafikkminne_234965.jpg