Handley Page 0/400 Questions...

I just bought the Handley Page bomber for RoF today and have been playing around with it. So, I have a few questions if anybody can help.

I press LShift-A to turn on the Level Autopilot, but it didn't seem to work. The bomber did not fly straight and level. Is there some other trick to this? Is there a minimum altutude where this only works?

I read a bombing guide that talked about dropping bombs single, pairs, or all at once. Is there a switch or something to set this, or is this just manual dropping by pressing the bomb key?

Last, I had a full load of bombs. I think it was the first one in the list. It may have been 16x100lbs, plus a full tank of fuel. I could not get up very high and maintain altitude. Is there a guideline on bomb and fuel loadouts? A way to calculate your weight perhaps?

Thx,

Snack

HI Snacko,

You'll love this bomber ahen you'll get use to it for sure. To answer your questions:

[ I press LShift-A to turn on the Level Autopilot, but it didn't seem to work. The bomber did not fly straight and level. Is there some other trick to this? Is there a minimum altutude where this only works? ] There is a minimum speed you have to respect to be able to anable the auto level. I beleave it is around 70 mph. Otherwise, it will not kick In; There are no altitude limits. I don't know the default auto level keys but mine is set to the letter K (toggle on or off). Also when flying auto level if you use hard rudder or stick movement, it will disengage. A trick here to help you line up on to the target while flying on auto level is to bind the following commands under options / plane controls. Have have them set this way and you might want to do the same: Level auto pilot left turn: RCONTROL + LEFT ARROW and Level auto pilot right turn: RCONTROL + RIGHT ARROW. You will then be able to slowly bank to the left or right to line up correctly :)

[ I read a bombing guide that talked about dropping bombs single, pairs, or all at once. Is there a switch or something to set this, or is this just manual dropping by pressing the bomb key? ] Look into your options under Weapons controls: you got to bind ''drop a bomb' 'drop all bombs' and 'drop 2 bombs' i use my x52 buttons for those.

[ Last, I had a full load of bombs. I think it was the first one in the list. It may have been 16x100lbs, plus a full tank of fuel. I could not get up very high and maintain altitude. Is there a guideline on bomb and fuel loadouts? A way to calculate your weight perhaps? ] With the HP 0/400 you are able to fly for a good 90 minutes with 20% fuel. With 100% fuel you will fly for a good 8 hours. Since I fly this plane, I have always use 20% fuel and I have never run out. Of course with 20% fuel and the 1 x 1600lbs bomb, you will have a hard time to get to around 4000' it will take you a long time but its possible, if your patient :)

Here are some links to Requiem's utube videos about the HP. Very usefull :)

I hope this helps Snacko.

MT

Thanks Troop! I do like bombers in general, so far this one looks fun. The only bad thing about bombers is that no fighters like to cover them, which is why I like to cover bombers like I did yesterday even when you were down. I consider that a duty and is fun also.

I have a little plugin that I made for TouchBuddy to convert IAS to TAS. And it also converts from MPH to KPH, so I will see if that helps with the bombing.

Thanks for this info. I didn't check my keybindings, so maybe they don't match the guide that I was reading.

Thanks

Hmm... in that bombing video I didn't see him do any calculations to convert IAS to TAS. Is that not needed?

HI Snacko,

There is no need to input TAS in your bombsight in ROF. Just use IAS. IMO we're saving some time here without having to do the conversion. Its bad enough that we have to convert Alt from ' to M speed from mph to kmh. Here is a link where you an download a level bombing guide that was made by a ROF fan.

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15679

MT