Programs In System Tray During Startup?

Bucky

When I start my computer,I have several programs that start/load/boot-whatever you call it- and appear in the system tray automaticly.This really increases the wait time during startup.I can't figure out how to stop this from happening automaticly.Can anyone help?

B.

• 1. DDz Quorum

What version of Windows are you running?

There are several ways to stop programs from running 'at startup'.

Firstly, check whether the tray icon (ie. the software itself) has an option to not have it run at startup. (Right click the tray icon? Fire up the software and check tools/options/preferences for a option like that.)

Also, check Start, (all) programs, Startup. If there are items listed in there, you can try and right click them, then choose 'Delete'

Finally, you could use the registry to remove items that run automatically... but there's a risk involved in editing the registry.

Wel, the other methods also include risks.

You would not want to disable your virus scanner, nor your display control panel.

Some hardware may stop functioning correcly...

Oh, and as a last option that you'd probably better try first: Uninstall unnecessary software .... via Control Panel, Add Remove Programs...

What àre the items in the startup?

If you hold the Shift key down when starting Windows it is supposed to stop programs in the Start menu from starting. I cannot remember if it also stops other programs that are in the registry from starting.

Basically programs have two ways of automatically starting when you start Windows. In your Startup menu, or in two places in the registry. For the Startup menu, they have to be in the 'Startup' menu in your All Programs/Startup menu. You can just cut and paste them somewhere else to save them if you want. Then if you change your mine you can put them back.

For the Registry, use RegEdit and look at this page for the locations to check. They are called Run and RunOnce. http://forum.thewind...rtup-paths.html

Personally, I just change something in the program's folder or program name so Windows cannot find it. Or, you could delete it, but then you wouldn't know what it was if you wanted to put it back. Just change the C:\ in the path to X:\, then if it doesn't fix what you want, change it back.

But like Troop said, messing with the registry can be dangerous. But I've done this several times without an issue.

Snack

I have the old fashioned Windows XP.The programs that boot up are:

1-a program for viewing pics from my digital camera.

2-one from my scanner-printer for viewing pics etc.

At one point these never booted up on startup.I launched them seperately After startup.

B.

edit....ok,ran the software and clicked on preferences and disabled the "run automaticly on startup" option....Like they say.you learn something new every day...lol

thanks guys

B.

• 2. Administrators

Or run msconfig to find the programs which are starting automatically

Services.msc is worth doing too. Google blackviper to get a list of potentially unnecessary services which can be stopped

Jabo