Pc Crashes Prob

DD_asas

~S~

Can one of u gents tell how the hell this error can b solved for good? it occurred 3 times already.....

"reboot and select proper boot device ou insert boot media in selected boot and press a key"

I've folow a same procedures, like press DEL and go to BIOS, check the cables inside the machine, especially the HD cable (which i think it's the prob) but i don't know exaccly wat to do.And meanwhile the PC now and again crashes .

Any thoughts?

thx

A

I always Google odd things like this.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22reboot+and+select+proper+boot+device+ou+insert+boot+media+in+selected+boot+and+press+a+key%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://www.google.co...73da4ec7e15bdf2

Funny thing there is only one listing in English.

The rest can be translated, look through these you might just get lucky.

I know the English one mentions a keyboard, but I wouldn't put too much faith it, since he continues to have the problem.

I always Google odd things like this.

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

http://www.google.co...73da4ec7e15bdf2

Funny thing there is only one listing in English.

The rest can be translated, look through these you might just get lucky.

I know the English one mentions a keyboard, but I wouldn't put too much faith it, since he continues to have the problem.

thx, TOAD :thumbsu:

i saw several in Portuguese.

It did mention the HD cables or the power supply, or (i hope not) the HD it selself. The oddest thing is when today open the il2, after clicking TR5, the PC went down. Could it be that the HD is already damage?

If you have a lot of things worth saving I'd get a new HD and image the old one onto it.

Most new HD's come with software to do that.

I just did it with a new Seagate. It now sits in its original box on the floor next to my desk with all my stuff backed up to it.

Once its backed up just try the new HD in the machine without the old one being hooked up.

HD's are fairly cheep now days, at least around here, and having a spare to backup to is a good practice anyway, if it's not the actual problem.

My last HD failure game me the blue screen before it died.

I'd suspect if your getting no warnings, and only a hard crash as if loosing power, then that's whats your experiencing.

It could be as simple as a bad connection, to a PSU or even a faulty Mobo

• 2. Administrators

gut feeling is either HDD or HDD controller going bad. New HDD is straight-forward enough, but HDD controller generally means new mobo. As TOAD says, try a new HDD first (or a known-good old one)

Jabo

P.S. For drive imaging, I'd go for Acronis True Image Home (I've got 2010, but 2011 should be out soon). Really simple to use and definitely rocks.

• 1. DDz Quorum

What make/model is the hard drive?

Most of the manufacturers will supply a drive fitness utility that will read the SMART log, this could tell you your drive is on it's last legs.

In any event you need to ensure you have a backup!<

Some of the drive makers, WD for example, also have a free version of Acronis (Seagate may be the same) that you can use to clone the old drive to a new one.

Be aware that if your drive is indeed on the way out, you may have some corrupt system files already, and will be looking at a clean install of Windows.

I have also experienced SATA cables failing, the cheap ones, for no apparent reason.

This can for all the world look like drive failure, and the drive fitness utilities can also be fooled, so buy a good quality SATA cable and test with that ;)

wow..slow down guys....i'm not an expert here...:rolleyes:

what do u guys mean Mobo?

Rog, the HD is Seagate ultra ATA Barracuda 7200 80 gb. it's an oldy. I have this PC for almost 6 years (made same upgrades) .

Today it' happen again. When i came to the PC and try to start, it immediately did that and show that error mgs, so i ctrl +alt+del next TAB and F8 and chose HDD and ENTER. and the PC started normally, so i think it doesn't read the HD at first for same reason,

what do u guys think?

• 1. DDz Quorum

That is an old PATA (IDE) drive, so ignore the bit about SATA cables.

I think your drive is gasping it's last breaths, and you should get a replacement on order ASAP.

What Motherboard (mobo) do you have?

If it is PATA only you can still pick up decent PATA (IDE) drives, I would recommend either Western Digital or Seagate again.

Both have software for copying your OS and files.

Seagate have a tools page here:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatools-win&vgnextoid=552bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Where you can download the drive check utility, but i would say judging from age of the drive your best use of it's last days is to clone it to a new drive.

That is an old PATA (IDE) drive, so ignore the bit about SATA cables.

I think your drive is gasping it's last breaths, and you should get a replacement on order ASAP.

What Motherboard (mobo) do you have?

If it is PATA only you can still pick up decent PATA (IDE) drives, I would recommend either Western Digital or Seagate again.

Both have software for copying your OS and files.

Seagate have a tools page here:

http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

Where you can download the drive check utility, but i would say judging from age of the drive your best use of it's last days is to clone it to a new drive.

Well, i've dl the seatools u recommended and run it. The result it's on the attachment. But, it says the HD passed on the SMART test. I do think it a cable of some sort, cause now every time i open the PC it happens the same error.

maybe the cable connecting the HD to the card ?drive scan.doc

PS- th mobo (;)) is:

asusTEK, inc

P5KPL-VM

chipset- intel- P35/G733/G31

southbrigde - intel -8280 1Gb

LPCIO - widbond w83627dhg

testing with another HDD would be the best option for now Asas.

your board supports both SATA and IDE hard drives. so if u r going for a new one the best thing would be to buy a SATA one. there is never too much hard drive space. so if in the end the mobo is a problem u'll have a nice new hard drive to go with it ;)

thx, Gec

i must see what is the next spet now,cause i still don't know for sure the prob.

the thing is, components, or PC for that matter , here in Portugal are very expensive, so it doesn't do me no good buying a HD, board or power supply , good card, for example, cause in the end i will be spending more money than if i would buy a new PC.

it's not like in the States, they have a lot a good stuff and for a lot a freaking good prices :icon_cry: oh, well...I have 260/270 days of SUN eheheheheheh.....