Wild Turkeys

Blairgowrie

I have mentioned to some of you that wild turkeys have shown up at our bird feeder. I was fortunate enough to get a couple of pictures of them at first light this morning. The second picture has two of them in it. Wild turkeys are making a big comeback in Ontario and we now see large flocks of them nesting in the trees. Winter is hard on them and these two guys look a bit thin.

Wild_Turkey1.jpg

WildTurkey2.jpg

Apparently very good eating but Helen and I have agreed that I should not shoot them.

There are flocks of 40 odd birds around here.

as a hippie vegetarian of 10 of my 23 years I agree with your decision. :wink: :cowers in the corner ready for backlash: :D

We had a very large flock of those in my hometown (a rather large city) and the city decided to kill them all because they were sitting on people's cars. Sometimes I think it is humans who do the encroaching but its a downward slope I suppose.

Thanks for the pictures BG, always nice to see a little of the outdoor wild among you wild dogs.

A very good artist friend of mine drew a cartoon-type drawing one time that had me in stitches for weeks.

It was Thanksgiving, and the company we worked for gave each employee a turkey as a gift for the holiday.

A note was hung in the breakroom that read - "Turkeys will be passed out from 2pm to 5pm Wed. Nov. 24th. Please make arrangements to pick up your turkey during this time."

My buddy hung a hand drawn picture underneath this note that consisted of an obviously drunk turkey, leaning against a fence, clutching a bottle of Wild Human.

I think I was still giggling about it at Christmas.

My two buddies showed up again this morning and the light was better. I also used a longer lense and was able to catch the colours.

I have decided to name them jensenpark and cold_gambler and might eat them after all.

I got dibs on a drumstick when "Cold_Gobbler" meets his maker! :D