Broke Daughters Computer

Pooka

• 1. DDz Quorum

I decided to put my daughters computer into a new case, give then more USB hockups etc. When I restarted the beast, I heard one long beep. The computer shop expert here claimed its a memory problem. Same beep code without any memory installed. Installed a new stick with one gig, fired it up, one short beep but the thing took 10 minutes to load.

Moved the memory stick around and same situation. Tried just one stick of 512 and no help.

Some of the compaciters (sp) are swollen but none have broke open as yet. This is a fairly old machine (see below) and the computer shop says to buy new MoBo, PCU and memory. This seems OK, but I just put in Windows 7 and MS Office and do not want to loose whats on the hard drives. Also just added a GPU, I think it was a HD 4850 or 3850 AGP card.

This is whats inside now:

Gigabyte K8VM800M Motherboard

AMD Semperon 3000 CPU

Any suggestions or recommendations on a replacement.

Leaving things alone that aren't broken from now on....Pooka

• 1. DDz Quorum
Some of the compaciters (sp) are swollen but none have broke open as yet.

Them being swollen is sufficient for system malfunction...

So, a different motherboard would surely be needed.

Now if you could only find a similar one...

If not, then new motherboard, memory, cpu ... and possibly new video card, as that board is an AGP one.

(Dunno wether AGP mother boards are still being produced and sold?)

If you can find a board with a similar chipset on it, then there's a change you will not have to re-install windows and the lot...

• 1. DDz Quorum

Also a long shot but...

As it is a different case make sure it doesn't have an extra mobo mounting post that is touching the board, generally moving a board into a new case will at worse result in a loose compnent or two.

But having too many posts is very common.

• 1. DDz Quorum

It was mounted before on the rises of the back, when I put it in this time I used mounting screws. I'll check for any problems that may be behind the MoBo.

Thanks, but I think I'll be getting a new MoBo and CPU and memory soon. Pooka

It was mounted before on the rises of the back, when I put it in this time I used mounting screws. I'll check for any problems that may be behind the MoBo.

Thanks, but I think I'll be getting a new MoBo and CPU and memory soon. Pooka

Not sure if I'd replace the MoBo for such an old system instead of just upgrading it and selling the old components.

Long beep means there is a memory issue. So first of all what you'd do is unplug everything aside from CPU, Ram and GPU (if not onboard). Obviously you need the PSU connected as well. Then make sure the Ram is seated absolutely properly. Be very gentle with it. If necessary clean the ram slots with a toothbrush or something and the same for the modules.

If you get the board running try to run Memtest. It's included in some bios'es, can be run from USB or a CD/DVD/BR.

Good luck :)

• 1. DDz Quorum

I went so far as to reinstall it in the old case, it fired but was slow again. Tried some new memory and it kept getting worse, got to the point it wouldn't even light up the monitor.

So I broke out the wallet and bought just about a whole new system.

CPU Intel i-5 650 LGA 1156 Dual core 3.2 GHz

MoBo ASUS Sabretooth 55i P55 LGA 1156 ATX

HD Western Digital 300Gb Raptor

Memory Corsair XMS3 2x2Gb

ASUS DVD Drive & Burner

I have the new case and PSU and plan to put in an X850XT graphics card I used to use.

Should keep the daughter and grandkids on the internet for a while. Just need to convince Windows to let me reinstall Windows 7, only used it for two weeks.

Thanks for all the help and ideas, nice to have support and suggestions.

Pooka