The Hazards Of Digging A Pond!

Blairgowrie

While you guys were flying coops on Sunday afternoon here's what I was doing for "fun", down in the swamp.

100_0490.jpg

100_0492.jpg

I quickly realized I was in big trouble when I could walk out of the cab at ground level and my dogs were nowhere to be seen. I made a slow walk back to the house to call for help. "Hello Dan! I seem to have done it again and need your help!!"

Enter Dan, the Professional! The asshole in the hat is my next door neighbour.

100_0495.jpg

Get the f*** out of the way Bruce!

100_0496.jpg

100_0497.jpg

Dan saves the day and the excavator!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Kinda looks like your making an island with an excavator on it.

Glad it all worked out for the best. Don't do any digging on Tuesday, I want you to host.

Pooka

Nice, He used the bucket to pull himself back out of trouble.

I'm glad he was there to save the day.

Those experience operators learn those tricks by screwing up too ya know.

I've seen pics of the guy and his backhoe, climbing into a coal car on a train, with only his machine and its attachments to do it?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v517/Archdean/Backhoe%20photos/?action=view&current=926b6ccd.pbw

How bout this.

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=18781

It was really scary when it started sliding sideways and leaned over. Thought I was going in for sure. The dogs came back when the cursing stopped.

I have just completed another big, deep pond with an island and hope to do some more work on the main pond. I have to complete a couple of berms, install some culverts and start flooding it. I'll post more pics in the next couple of days.

I'll also post a pic of the new grass. It really has come on in just over a week.

Glad eveything worked out ok,Jim.Good call getting a pro to get the machine un-stuck.Too many times I've seen guys get stuck and then make things worse by trying to fix it themselves.It seems you know your limitations concerning your experience level.

Anyways,the grass looks great and the pond looks cool.Thanks for sharing.

B.

08-12-2008112736.jpg

It's great to watch real pros operate heavy machinery. Don't worry Jim, you'll be an old hand in no time. I'm with Bucky in commending your wise decision to get help, what's that old saying? Oh yeah, "Pride goeth before rolling your excavator over in a swamp"

Well, I decided to rebuild the road with more gravel and try again. This time, I think I got it right!

I am in the process of throwing up a berm and once that is done, I will dig in a steel 20" culvert. If I can get the berm high enough, it should be a nice deep pond.

100_0503.jpg

100_0504.jpg

100_0506.jpg

100_0507.jpg

100_0508.jpg

100_0509.jpg

Did someone mention peat moss?

100_0510.jpg

Now that is the mother of all rocks!

100_0512-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An update on my pond digging.

Now flooding up. I will be able to set the final height of the water, next spring, when I place the culvert. I'll set the height about a foot below the island.

100_0519.jpg

The big pond will flow into another pond , also with an island.

100_0520.jpg

100_0522.jpg

100_0523.jpg

100_0524.jpg

This is the pond where I got stuck, now almost finished. Once again I will control the height of the water with the culvert.

100_0526.jpg

100_0528.jpg