High Vs Low Altitude

Pappy

While doing some reading online about ACM tactics and different WWII aircraft variations, i realized that 95% of engagements within IL2 are below 5,000m (15,000 ft) a relatively low altitude. Heavy high power fighters like the P38, 47, and 51, where all designed with over 20,000 ft in mind. Same with the FW 190 if im not mistaken. Has anyone else noticed this? I would think those heavier planes would hold a severe Disadvantage when flying under 15,000 especially at slower speeds (<350 kph).

Just wondering your thoughts on the subject. I know most people dont like to take 15-20 minutes to climb to 25,000 for a bomber intercept, especially when majority of the players are all only a few hundred feet about the ground.

~Pappy

Heavy high power fighters like the P38, 47, and 51, where all designed with over 20,000 ft in mind. Same with the FW 190 if im not mistaken. Has anyone else noticed this? I would think those heavier planes would hold a severe Disadvantage when flying under 15,000 especially at slower speeds (<350 kph).

u r absolutely right about that m8.

and u r also absolutely free to use any tactics that u think is good one.  

All the planes you mentioned are pigs at low&slow conditions. The P-51 can be quite good if it's low on fuel(25% or less) but still, it would struggle to outturn a 109, Zero, Spit etc. down there.

The other main reason to why most fights happen down there is that fighting high takes a bit more skill when it comes to trim and controlling the aircraft. Stalls easier in the thinner air. Just find a tactic you're comfortable with. Personally, what I do, greatly depends on the mood. Just remember: Speed is life, altitude is life insurance. :)