One For The Techies

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Here's an interesting one for the techies to puzzle over. I'm off to bed having given up...

When I install my copy of Office 2007 H&S, it installs OK, but when I try to open one of the applications, I get a warning box stating 'Office is not installed for this user'. Erm WTF?

I'm out of ideas after installing and uninstalling most of the evening.

I could do with being able to use Word though as I've some stuff to write and Notepad just doesn't do it for me.

Any ideas?

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ignore this post, FT has found the answer above I believe!

Interesting.

I have installed Office 2007 on Windows 7 32 and 64 bit several times, and not seen this issue.

1. I did not use the 'Run as..' option to elevate user perms, this may install it in the admin context hence the error you saw
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898512 May assist you here (the .dat file may have another name with 2007)
  2. I have left UAC on but with the following setting:
    215509_uac-2.png

• 2. Administrators

Nope, not a fix in this case, I have the only account on this machine, I am the only one who uses said account, and the account is an 'administrator' account. The fix FT has found is for non-admin accounts. Besides, I'm using 7 x64 not Vista. Oh, and Office used to work before I Quazi'd the PC recently, I haven't changed the permissions either.

Besides, I have a concern that this fix effectively removes the UAC which (in 7 at least) seems to work without the problems it caused in Vista.

Sorry Perf and Shadrach, I'm afraid I can't agree. Like it or not, Office is the global standard, and for the most part works fine. OpenOffice (at least the last time I checked) doesn't support the current Office file extensions, only .doc, .xls etc. Each to their own, but I'll be sticking with Office at least until I'm convinced it won't work anymore.

Jabo

P.S. Throwing caution to the winds, I tried the fix anyway - sadly it would appear that my fears were confirmed - not a fix for 7 - booo

Do you still have a copy of XP, and do you have another drive you can slave in and dual boot. So you can avoid another Quazi and partition the drive your using.

I'm still dual booting XP and Win7 over quirks, until I can get Win7 to behave or I upgrade more progs so it can do as much as XP still can I'll continue to dual boot.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Do you still have a copy of XP, and do you have another drive you can slave in and dual boot. So you can avoid another Quazi and partition the drive your using.

If you have 7 ultimate you can use XP Mode until you get this resolved..

i've also installed office 2007 to win 7 32/64 several times and did not have any issues. could be that running installation wit "Run As" caused the problems if u used it. i always try to keep things simple. double click install next next yes yes finish :sheepsmile: like all the rest of the world that have no clue about some fancy advanced stuff.

when that does not work, then i try using advanced options.

in your case i would use system restore and restore it to just before installing office. just for a case that office changed some setting that will prevent reinstall to install correctly. :shaunhb:

how's that sentence sound!?

If you have 7 ultimate you can use XP Mode until you get this resolved..

Mine is win 7 pro 64 I only have the ability to run in Vista mode.

Do you know of a way to make pro do it with XP Mode?

• 2. Administrators

I've taken leaves from everybody's books and tried various ways to resolve this issue, ending up with some alledged registry 'fix' (for 'fix' read 'bodge') which did nothing apart from f**k the OS completely, and delete my recovery image (lord knows how) and therefore I've had to Quazi anyway. I''ve now got a vanilla 7 x64 install onto which I'm installing Office (again). I'll let you know how I get on. It means I probably won't be flying tonight, but I need this working.

Thanks for the advice all.

Jabo

EDIT: And now Office works! YAY! FWIW, I think Gec's point about there being something left behind that was preventing a proper uninstall may well be right. All I changed was to use the custom install option and set everything to run from the PC (which I've never had to do before and hey presto!)

Time to break out True Image and create a backup I think