QMB Pro

JensenPark

anyone downloaded this yet?

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,3594.0.html

The read me isn't the clearest...

It says to install into the 'mods' folder, which I take it to mean into JSGME...

and once I install it, in QMB it brings up the wrong plane each time?

Second question:

Does Ultra come with any new maps? If I download them, where do I install them?

thanks as always gents...

I think the readme is saying that the programs need placing in the main game folder and that it's not necessary to go any deeper into the file structure for primary installation purposes. You need to use the word 'into' in place of the 'at' which the author has used below. The underlinings are mine:

1-Copy the MODS folder included in this .rar [at] into the main folder of the IL-2 game (IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 directory), confirm to overwrite. It will only create a QMBProPAL folder inside MODS. This will activate the MOD itself.

2-Copy the Quicks folder included in this .rar [at] into the main folder of the IL-2 game (IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 directory), confirm to overwrite. This will create the file QMBMaps.ini which stores the name of the Maps that will be displayed...

Likewise with the rest

3-If you want, copy the Missions folder included in this .rar at the main folder of the IL-2 game (IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 directory), confirm to overwrite

and so on. The need to edit manually is explained next, and when or if it is necessary:

Finally- Remove the folder or add a - before the name of your previous QMBPlus, QMBPro, QMBMinus, Josse's QMB, etc. If your previous QMB MOD stored the name of the maps in the Conf.ini (only exception Josse's one), you don't require anymore the [quick] header with all the lines CustomXX=MapName, so you can delete them.

This is saying that you need to disable earlier QMBs byfolder deletion or adding a hyphen in front of the folder (eg -QMB) and also deleting "the [quick] header with all the lines CustomXX=MapName" from the file Conf.ini in the game folder.

The author's reasoning makes good sense -

Editing the QMBMaps.ini file (in the Quicks folder) is much easier and less risky than touching the Conf.ini file. This idea was taken from Josse's version but implemented in a different way. You only have to add a line with the name of the Map and you are done (you allways require the supporting missions in the Missions\Quick folder for that Map). Remember that you can comment a line by placing a // sequence at the beginning.

and the rest of the advice is worth reading through and taking on board.

I haven't actually installed this mod yet, only having downloaded it last night to get at the Readme. You definitely don't want to go deeper into the game folder than the IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 directory. Just drop the folders in and let it activate itself. If you have installed these folders into the JSGME folder then you need to remove them and start over.

cheers,

B

Thanks Brando:

I've kinda got it working using JSGME...but there doesn't appear to be full 'control' as I think it is attuned to the missions loaded.

If I fly Red, it seems to work.

If I change to Blue, the plane seems to be set as what is loaded for that QMB mission. So I choose Blue and pick a Spit (bear with me here) flying the Taranto map. Well, the mission loads a 109 regardless.

I'm going to try the non-JSGME way you've suggested using a back-up Ultra copy (thank heaven for 1 terrabyte HD).

First, you shouldn't be using JSGME for any mods that weren't designed for it. I'm not sure about replacing the version of qmb pro that comes with UP, but I just used my Mods folder.

The "QMBProPAL" folder should be in the Mods folder.

The "Quicks" folder goes in the main IL2 folder.

The "Quick" folder (the one with the missions ) goes in the mission folder.

It still requires some manipulation of the Map files in the "Quicks" folder to get full functionality. I really enjoy this mod, but it aint for the feint of heart.