Guiding Light on how to set up in Windows 7

Pooka

• 2. Administrators

Snacko's right Pooka. If your new machine has the 64-bit version of Windows 7, you will find two folders on your C: drive named 'Program Files' & 'Program Files x86'. The 'Program Files' folder is for 64-bit applications only, all the 32-bit apps (like IL2) go into the x86 folder. (If the PC is on 32-bit Win 7 then you just get a 'Program Files' folder. Obviously 64-bit applications will not run on this OS). Rather than installing IL2 afresh though, I'd be inclined to make a copy of your game folder on a memory stick or external hard drive, and copy the whole thing to a new folder (for example mine's in e:\IL2 Downloads\).

I'm not sure how your rig is set up Pook, but I would suggest you try to use 64-bit versions of drivers and software where possible. For example I have the 64-bit version of the Saitek software for my X52, and my headset also has 64-bit drivers, although I've yet to see 64-bit software for TrackIR, so I'm using the 32-bit version and it works fine. For what it's worth, I feel that Windows 7 is so flexible and versatile that I really don't mind the very slight inconvenience of needing to change the installation folder for IL2.

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

Thanks guys, finally Jabos explanation of x86 files and regular Program files is starting to sink in.

Its raining and snowing here, so I've got all day to experiment.

"Snacko"

3D Settings:

AA 16x

AF 16x

Disable Cat AI

Mipmap Detail Level = High Quality

Wait for Vert Refresh = Off, unless App specifies

Adaptive AA Disabled

Triple Buffering Off

I think the ones that I underlined are the most important.

Tips I have picked up since installing Win7 64bit:

Don't install the game to Program Files (x86) - if you have, drag it out into a new folder either in C:\ or on another partition altogether.

CH software installs fine in P.F.(x86) - but the Maps folder will be created in the Library/Documents folder. If you are bringing your old maps across from another platform this is where they go.

Hyperlobby should be installed outside of program files (either flavour) as it's tricky to adjust the hlpro.ini to get all the buttons working while it's there.

Ati drivers are a POS at the moment. The fix is to extract the atioglxx.dll from the 9.10 Catalysts and use it to replace the atioglxx.dll file from the newer drivers. The previous advice has been to add this .dll to the IL-2 root folder - but if your main game is FB then it's a lot easier to go directly to C:\ Windows\SysWOW64\ and substitute it directly. This stops IL2 from throwing up the occasional "hs_err_pid" over the added .dll file and then crashing.

More later

B

Hi JP :) Thanks for your inquiry, I am quite well but suffering from the effects of winter on my injuries. It makes me tetchy and rude, so I'm avoiding flying with crowds of people because I don't want to offend people.

Re your other question - no, it wouldn't work to leave everything outside of Program Files. For the most part it is a good system; it's just that User Account Control settings prevent users from altering files in the way that we did in XP. This makes the alteration of .ini files complicated by the need to relax UAC temporarily, or drag .ini files to desktop and then replace them after adjustment, and so on. Therefore it makes sense to place certain programs outside of Program files so that they are not subject to UAC. For my part, Forgotten Battles is top of the list of programs that should be sited outside of Program Files.

cheers

B :dog:

Hyperlobby should be installed outside of program files (either flavour) as it's tricky to adjust the hlpro.ini to get all the buttons working while it's there.

The buttons don't show up for me in HL.