Re: Weather update...part 2. What's yours?

JensenPark

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, one of the first side effects of no polar ice cap would be that the Gulf Stream would weaken or be disrupted entirely as it's supposedly driven by melting fresh water, denser than salt water.

Less ice- less current.

Britain would have a climate more in line with it's latitude, could probably be compared to the west coast of Canada.

no worries Snack...meant light-heartedly.

common practice here whenever we hits spells of -20 for two or three weeks straight.

Over the the EuroDogz:

We get the hysterical news flashes here about the snow in the UK and Europe...how common or uncommon is the weather you guys are getting right now?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Well...

It does snow here in the UK, but not normally to the extent it has recently.

Coupled with an unusually prolonged period of sub-zero temperatures this has put a strain on our infra-structure.

Snow tyres and chains are not the norm here for winter, and our salt/grit reserves are insufficient for the current conditions.

Trains are hampered because some use a third rail for power, rather than overhead lines, so this has added to the problems.

There is concern for our wildlife too because our winters are normally 'mild'.

We may also have milk and bread rationing - go figure!

Thankfully booze is in plentiful supply :)

I'm sorry. I had no intent to begin a discussion on the causes of global warming.

The cause really doesn't matter. It is a fact and we'll have to deal with it. I was however trying to point out what it might mean to some people.

Europe might freeze their butts off as in the "little Ice Age".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

• 1. DDz Quorum
I was sitting in my bomb shelter with my guns...waiting for the zombies to come.

Got my Barretta primed and ready ;)

Funny - there is a facebook group about surviving zombies in Cambridge, quite a hoot!

YEAH - the bloody snows gone - weve had a thaw and its nearly all away.

Pretty while it lasted but was getting boring, major roads were ok to drive on but side roads were abandoned so very treacherous, plus a lot of folk have either forgotten or never learnt how to drive in slippery conditions so they hampered things. Lost count of the idiots revving away with wheels spinnning and going nowhere.

JP

ITs very unusual to have snow and low temps where I live- my town is on a major river and is low lying so hardly gets any .

Well, this is my small contribution to weather update:

last weekend, although the "weatherman" said it was going to rain rain and the temperature were dropping to 10, the fact is we, had an excellent, 19/20 º

Celsius, sun and the result as this: