convergencies-please post yours

delta7

Roll: 27 38 52 63 69 75 83 88 93 100

Pitch: 28 44 55 62 70 79 88 93 96 100

Yaw: 29 40 48 57 66 76 86 93 95 100 plus 7 deadband.

are crazyivans settings- I used these with my old joystick and X-45 and liked them but then started mucking around- I might go back to these again and see if I like them again :shock:

YAW is the rudder, correct? I.E. the pedals if you have them.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

well following the advice and settings posted here Iv been sticking to 300m for both cannon and machine guns for the past few weeks and have noticed an improvement in hit rate.

I also have both mapped to fire at the same time , so I only have to press 1 button and when cannon run out its time to go home, m/c guns are there for emergency backup.

I was just about to set my cannons at the range the good HL shooters are using, Dave, just to see if I could train myself to hit out there.

Mine are set anywhere from 170 to 220 for most, 250 for .50cal.

I try to nevery open fire over 300 meters, for me that's really pushing it, 200 is about where I start to be able to hit.

I was just about to set my cannons at the range the good HL shooters are using, Dave, just to see if I could train myself to hit out there.

I try to nevery open fire over 300 meters, for me that's really pushing it, 200 is about where I start to be able to hit.

Its funny mate - when I changed to 1000m I thought I was hitting better

Its funny mate - when I changed to 1000m I thought I was hitting better

if you have weapon 1 and 2 to fire together, will the machine gun still work when the cannon is empty? if so it is something i might do as well....

yeah frior the machine guns will fire after the cannon run out.

this has advantages

only one button - all guns fire together

and diasadvantages-

I find I run out of canon rounds

• 1. DDz Quorum

i have playing with convergences also. except i have been bringing mine right in 150 or 200 for both. i did try the yum yum settings you sent me/posted (1000) but then i twigged that he flies VERY fast, so closing at far greater speed than i m able to achive. so getting back to all firing at one, hopefully if i can get to within convergence range, when i open up, "he should go bang!"

I've been using 300 (both cannon and MG) for a long time, with experiments at various other distances but have not found anything else to work any better. Since my main plane is the 109, convergence is less important. I always fly and chase in wide view and then zoom in some for shooting ( I have all FOV's mapped to the slider on my x52) I only use high zoom's for target search and recognition (I also found, like many others, that I was shooting terribly at the higher FOV's) and to check on which way a target is turning when we get separated (this is really handy!). I have Machine guns mapped to the first stage on my trigger and cannons on the second stage.

• 2 weeks later...

everything at 250

primarily finding that im trying to stop using gunsight view at all, i just stick on normal view all the time

i actually got this from watching a track by Psycho

i think trying to aim zoomed means you are getting too fidgety with precise gunnery rather than getting the reticule in the right general area and concentrating on your flying

also situation awareness has improved tenfold as has my ability to track

so thanks Psycho!

sorry, rambled on there- but this has been a greater change to my gunnery than convergance. and its against a habit that i had for 2 1/2 years of IL2

edit: also the main thing is that not using gunsight view means im getting closer before i fire, and thats maybe the real factor

THANKS DAZZA!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Chaps,

I've never touched my convergence settings, but I will be soon!

Has anyone else seen this clip on YouTube about this topic?

This would help me a lot if I were playing on a server with no labels whatsoever.

p.s. I just noticed that this vid is on the very 1st page of videos of http://www.darts-page.com/ so you all probably have seen it. But I hadn't, and I was well informed. ;)

I have mine set at the following:

275 mg

225 cannon

As far as when to press the trigger.......

generally speaking I only open up when my target fills the reticle (dead 6 shots) and give 1-2 plane lengths lead when lead targeting......same with snap shooting.

With those convergencies, you should do significant damage if you hold firing until the reticle is filled (which is usually pretty close .05-.30 range.....anything farther out than that is just a spray and pray and waste of ammo....even if you get hits they usually are not enough to finish an opponent.)

This works for me........

Well after watching that video above, I set my convergences to...

MGs & Cannons @ 100m

After practising online and offline, I found that I'm hitting things way much more now. Even when targets are 200m, 300m and even 400m away. Plus my lead shooting is way more improved too.

I guess the default setting of 300m was making me give too much lead and I was over-shooting the target.

I tested this fully in QMB with unlimited ammo and with regards to lead shooting, I found out that I was giving too much horizontal lead, and really what I needed to do was give more vertical lead instead. That surprised me. I guess the rounds got there fast enough, but gravity was having a bigger effect than I anticipated.

Horses for courses...

;)

I use 200 for both cannon and mg's, I like my shots concentrated, so that one small burst with both, take down the opponent, as for range, let them ripp at .30, .20, and for the p39, and p63, I have gotten quite accurate with 1 shot, 1 kill mindset, my aim is just high, when behind fighters, and side passes on bomber, 1 shot will usually cut the tail off, aiming for say, top gunner, that would be your lead for a tailshot, I practiced in quick mission bulder with flights of bombers to nail down that p-39's big gun. It's my favorite plane for firepower, against bombers.