Flying Announcements and West Coast Hosting

DoubleTap

I wanted to bring up a couple of points relating to flying operations:

1) Flying Announcements

Last night, someone (can't remember if it was Roger or Jim, or someone else) made a very good suggestion for making flying announcements on the board WITH the IP info for server and TS in Joint Operations. This was particularly true as sometimes email does NOT make it to recipients, either because of spam filters or gremlins, as happened on Thursday.

I know we already have general announcements on the boards, but a) We can't post in on the public boards without everyone seeing it, B) We can't just put it in the DD board as it will not reach the HH.

So, I second (third?) the proposal that flying announcements be made in Joint Operations by hosts in conjunction with an email announcement.

Announcements should contain the following info:

-Who is Game hosting

-Their IP

-The time (with time zone) DF server will be up, and the expected duration of host session

-Who is TS hosting and the IP (Obviously this is usually the gracious Quaz, but just in case...)

-Any Additional pertinent info (Hey! Patch 4.07m is out with flyable B-17's! Get it now!)

2) West Coast Flying

BG and I were discussing the availability of flying hours for the West Coast pilots. We have early sessions on thursdays which work well for the UK pilots. This is possible because my schedule allows it, and because BG and Col Cup can usually host in my absence. In fact, it was started to make sure we have some flying available for our GMT friends.

Obviously, in general, the weekend sessions work for everyone as there is more flexibility when all our time zones can fly. Then again, it IS the weekend and many of us usually have time conflicts there as it a time to get things done, spend time with family, etc.

So, the question is, would there be interest in later hosting and flying for the west coast? For one, I could take over hosting on some saturdays (12am EST/9pm PST) for a few hours (3am EST/12am PST) IF there is a need and desire for it. It would be a good time for West Coasters, and even for other North America pilots if they are so inclined.

In addition, perhaps someone on the West Coast, or with an appropriate schedule, could run a later session at other times.

Hey, this is a good idea for a poll! LOOK ABOVE!

107159288_0e363fef68_m.jpg

• 1. DDz Quorum

Good points raised there Glenn :)

Announcements are a great idea, very simple to implement and we need only log into the forum briefly to see if there is any action on :)

I'll not vote on the West Coast business ;)

Good Idea to post in joint ops so all Dogz and Hounds can find out when to fly. It is a real pity when one of the mates wants to fly or find out whats happening and cant get info. Dont want to discriminate against any members and we all should try to accomidate the time zones. I am extremly grateful to the guys who host and join in at times that suit the UK players

We also need to get details of who can or is willing to host from all members so that we dont overburden or rely on those who are doing a sterling job just now. We could do with a HOST FAQ e.g. How do you host a game ? do you run dedicated server software or just through multiplayer in game ? how do you host teamspeak ? so that those willing to help would have a simple guide to help them.

I am flying a lot just now but I dont think that I will continue at this level for much longer due to family and work comitments.

SO taking all into consideration I really cant commit to anything further than the 2100 - 2400hrs GMT sessions I currently do on Thursday and Sunday nights. Although with my shift schedule I will look out for other oppertunities to fly with the mates.

I'm sorry Glenn:

I can't get past the picture in your sig.

Did you say something?

I was 'chatting' with BG (me talking, him slurring) about an earlier start on Saturdays so that the easties can get in more time before bed time...but then it interupts dinners etc.

I guess the Thursday/Sat/Sun times work well as it gives everyone a time/chance to play.