Aircraft performance - good info

delta7

We were flying last night and the topic of turn circles came up - in particular how good the Bf 109 G2 turns - here is a good utility to use to study all aircraft in the game

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_es ... es.htm#014

hope you all find this useful

Dave,

How accurate do you find that thing? I have it, and I have tried some of the speeds listed and I never seem to get the same results, and I do trim out the aircrat. Some of the Japanese planes seem to go faster that he lists, and some other planes seem to go slower.

107159288_0e363fef68_m.jpg

We were flying last night and the topic of turn circles came up - in particular how good the Bf 109 G2 turns - here is a good utility to use to study all aircraft in the game

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_es ... es.htm#014

hope you all find this useful

Dave,

How accurate do you find that thing? I have it, and I have tried some of the speeds listed and I never seem to get the same results, and I do trim out the aircrat. Some of the Japanese planes seem to go faster that he lists, and some other planes seem to go slower.

I am not that good to get close to quoted figures so I only use it as rough comparison e.g.

my plane can climb faster so I can use this to escape

or my plane can turn quickly so its ok to try this

as I usually find out when engaging- its the pilot that really counts and you shouldnt really get involved in hard turning fights as it blows your energy and leaves you vulnerable to the bandits mates. This utility will only give us a good idea of how best to use your plane against common enemies- but shouldnt make you forget the basics of SAS=SPEED -ALTITUDE-SURPRISE

I read on the UBI ZOO of guys who keep it minimised so that when they go into dogfights or co-ops servers with rotating plane sets they can quickly reference this to help.

I am not that good to get close to quoted figures so I only use it as rough comparison e.g.

my plane can climb faster so I can use this to escape

or my plane can turn quickly so its ok to try this

as I usually find out when engaging- its the pilot that really counts and you shouldnt really get involved in hard turning fights as it blows your energy and leaves you vulnerable to the bandits mates.

Well, this I need to have written on the top of my monitor in indelible black marker, no doubt. No argument there.

I just find it frustrating that I will blow past a bogie in something like a P-38L, and I will find supposedly slower planes turning around and gaining on me even though I am still flying fairly horizontal and straight. Obviously not everything catches me, but I will read how the zero is supposedly slower than say, certain P-40 models, and yet get it keeps up or even gains.

I just wish I could fly like I talk mate- :oops:

I know what I SHOULD be doing but usually forget it all in the heat of the fight. :oops:

Sorry I slipped into "LECTURE MODE " in last post - I get carried away sometimes- well the wife says I should be carried away :lol:

I must add tho that two other things that make a difference are - how comfortable you feel in the aircraft- some planes just suit you and others dont- if you like the plane and have a lot of practice in it then you will be confident to push it to the edge.

the other is stick settings - I have REALLY struggled to get comfortable with my stick input since 4.0xxx patches. I thought it was me or the stick had gone off- there seemed to be a lag in input- with the latest patch I think things have settled down - I have been able to take off all filters and have been able to increase my sensitivity and now feel I am closer to how I was flying before.

hope this helps

I just wish I could fly like I talk mate- :oops:

I know what I SHOULD be doing but usually forget it all in the heat of the fight. :oops:

Sorry I slipped into "LECTURE MODE " in last post - I get carried away sometimes- well the wife says I should be carried away :lol:

Dave,

Don't apologize. I appreciate the insight. I did not take your post as anything but good and much needed advice. And I don't mind a lecture from a person who knows what he is talking about (that would be you). I have seen you fly, remember?

My point was/is that I know what you are saying, but getting it drilled into my head is tougher in the thick of things, as you say. Just last night, after telling myself I would NOT try to dogfight the Zero seaplanes in my Beau, I did it anyway, even though I held off for quite a while. I still have this need to turn and burn, even when I am in planes which are NOT designed for it at all.

Bottom line, if "lecturing" means telling someone what they need to hear, then lecture away M8!

BTW:

I must add tho that two other things that make a difference are - how comfortable you feel in the aircraft- some planes just suit you and others dont- if you like the plane and have a lot of practice in it then you will be confident to push it to the edge.

This is also very true. Its weird how comfortable I feel in the Finnish Buffalo. I find myself flying effortlessly in it compared to may planes. It just FEELS right, even though it is certainly not a top of the line aircraft. I also love the 185; it feels like a superb machine for me, even though its circa 1942.