Connection problems

Sweper

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is more than likely down to your ISP - try running pingplotter and see the results

http://www.pingplotter.com/freeware.html

this will show you your results over all the hops between yourself and the server.

Is it just BG or have you tried connecting to some of the transatlantic servers like warclouds and see if it is similar.

I am having a lot of trouble like yourself. I find it is just about impossible to play across the atlantic and its due to my isp . They are in the process of swopping networks and so are closing some servers on their existing network as they transfer to the next . this is leading to bottlenecking on the remaining servers and thus high traffic and pings.

anyway post back your pingplotter results, do it at various times of day to see if it is traffic or just generally unsable.

If you get spikes at the first hop or few hops then get in touch with your isp helpdesk and see if there are others having similar problems but dont expect much help because pings arnt usually covered in any agreement , they just check your upload/download speed and if thats within limits then will do nothing else

A few things to check in the meantime and what they will probably suggest.

1) reboot your modem - this will make it search for the lowest initial hop

2) set your modem latency - google how to do this

3) check all your wires and connections at telephone sockets

4) connect your pc directly into the master phone socket then disconnect any other phone connections or wireless routers that you may have and check results

5) check you dont have any background programs running e.g. windows update on auto or antivirus update on auto

6) do a spyware search - use spybot search and destroy

hope this helps

It is more than likely down to your ISP - try running pingplotter and see the results

http://www.pingplotter.com/freeware.html

this will show you your results over all the hops between yourself and the server.

Is it just BG or have you tried connecting to some of the transatlantic servers like warclouds and see if it is similar.

I am having a lot of trouble like yourself. I find it is just about impossible to play across the atlantic and its due to my isp . They are in the process of swopping networks and so are closing some servers on their existing network as they transfer to the next . this is leading to bottlenecking on the remaining servers and thus high traffic and pings.

anyway post back your pingplotter results, do it at various times of day to see if it is traffic or just generally unsable.

If you get spikes at the first hop or few hops then get in touch with your isp helpdesk and see if there are others having similar problems but dont expect much help because pings arnt usually covered in any agreement , they just check your upload/download speed and if thats within limits then will do nothing else

A few things to check in the meantime and what they will probably suggest.

1) reboot your modem - this will make it search for the lowest initial hop

2) set your modem latency - google how to do this

3) check all your wires and connections at telephone sockets

4) connect your pc directly into the master phone socket then disconnect any other phone connections or wireless routers that you may have and check results

5) check you dont have any background programs running e.g. windows update on auto or antivirus update on auto

6) do a spyware search - use spybot search and destroy

hope this helps

Good idea to run Ping Plotter Sven. Here is a screenie of my connection to the Dogz Forum. What is not good about this shot is the graph at the bottom of the screen. That solid red bar is not a good sign. But it is occurring well down the Internet chain is beyond the control of my ISP.

[attachment=1]

:bg:

Good idea to run Ping Plotter Sven. Here is a screenie of my connection to the Dogz Forum. What is not good about this shot is the graph at the bottom of the screen. That solid red bar is not a good sign. But it is occurring well down the Internet chain is beyond the control of my ISP.

your trace shows that there is nothing wrong with your connection to local sites.

you have good low pings, mine starts at 40 on the first hop

I dont think you have to reboot your router as you have decent pings locally but it can sometimes enable you to get different hops across the atlantic so might help. you can reboot by switching physically on or off or by software as described here

http://www.dangerdogz.com/forums/index.php/topic,7428.msg61988.html#msg61988

I dont know where the dangerdogz site is - may be USA, rog would confirm, please do traces to bgs game server and to warclouds at 67.106.81.125:21000 ( it is in chicago) and report back

how much ram do you have and what is your processor and operating system ?

your trace shows that there is nothing wrong with your connection to local sites.

you have good low pings, mine starts at 40 on the first hop

I dont think you have to reboot your router as you have decent pings locally but it can sometimes enable you to get different hops across the atlantic so might help. you can reboot by switching physically on or off or by software as described here

http://www.dangerdogz.com/forums/index.php/topic,7428.msg61988.html#msg61988

I dont know where the dangerdogz site is - may be USA, rog would confirm, please do traces to bgs game server and to warclouds at 67.106.81.125:21000 ( it is in chicago) and report back

how much ram do you have and what is your processor and operating system ?

Warclouds* server and BG´s server. Think they are pretty "unloaded" this time of the day.

[attachment=1]

First cpu screenshot is on idle.

[attachment=3]

Second I´m running TS, TS Overlay, TrackIr, loaded a game on dogs.servegame, with engine running.

[attachment=4]

My pc set-up:

Motherboard: ASUS P5K S775 IP35 DDR2 SATA2 GBLAN 8-CH HD

PROCESSOR:

your connection is solid as BG said, better than mine and I have no problem loading maps- repeat this at peak time ( 1900 GMT to 2300 GMT )and see if there is a difference

You are running 4gb of memory on XP which is a bit too much - take it down to 2gb and see what happens. You mentioned that you bought more memory recently are you sure it was compatable?

Check your motherboard manual for installation and setup of memory. I have a P5n-E and there is a section on memory configuration

your connection is solid as BG said, better than mine and I have no problem loading maps- repeat this at peak time ( 1900 GMT to 2300 GMT )and see if there is a difference

You are running 4gb of memory on XP which is a bit too much - take it down to 2gb and see what happens. You mentioned that you bought more memory recently are you sure it was compatable?

Check your motherboard manual for installation and setup of memory. I have a P5n-E and there is a section on memory configuration

Another thought Sven. Do you regularly defrag your HD?

Jim, short answer; yes.

Delta7, maybe it occured when I added ram. But it seems that windows using not all, but most of the ram. I dont know if I want to disable 2gb ram just for IL-2, but if it helps... Is there a program for this? Or do I have to unplug manually?

[attachment=1]

Jim, short answer; yes.

Delta7, maybe it occured when I added ram. But it seems that windows using not all, but most of the ram. I dont know if I want to disable 2gb ram just for IL-2, but if it helps... Is there a program for this? Or do I have to unplug manually?

• 2. Administrators

Jim, short answer; yes.

[attachment=1]

I think you'll have to unplug it manually Sven. That at least makes sure that the PC is not even trying to use the memory. Delta's point about compatibility is good - does all the memory run at the same clock speeds, or are you mixing and matching? I'm not sure why it would cause this error, but bad memory, just like bad gfx cards/drivers causes all sorts of bizarre issues.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Jim, short answer; yes.

[attachment=1]

I think you'll have to unplug it manually Sven. That at least makes sure that the PC is not even trying to use the memory. Delta's point about compatibility is good - does all the memory run at the same clock speeds, or are you mixing and matching? I'm not sure why it would cause this error, but bad memory, just like bad gfx cards/drivers causes all sorts of bizarre issues.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Unless it's the 64bit version. I'm still unclear about why having 4 or more GB of RAM is seen as being detrimental to the performance of 32bit PCs. Having benchmarked mine with 3GB and with 4GB, there's very little difference in the 32bit world. Anyway, back to the point...Sorry for hijacking the thread Sven.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Unless it's the 64bit version. I'm still unclear about why having 4 or more GB of RAM is seen as being detrimental to the performance of 32bit PCs. Having benchmarked mine with 3GB and with 4GB, there's very little difference in the 32bit world. Anyway, back to the point...Sorry for hijacking the thread Sven.

Jabo