Crossfire Dual Monitor Snag!

Ash

Hey guys,

I've just grabbed an old Samsung SyncMaster 940N 17" tft which was going begging and looking to get it to run as a second screen to my Acer 22" widescreen, mainly for work as I do a lot with MS Project/Access/Excel/Visio/Infopath and run MSN + mail + web etc continuously too (so my project teams can b*tch at me all day in realtime, LOL!).

I've so far managed to get my desktop extended over both screens so I can drag my mail/MSN/web over onto the 2nd screen all ok

Hey guys,

I've just grabbed an old Samsung SyncMaster 940N 17" tft which was going begging and looking to get it to run as a second screen to my Acer 22" widescreen, mainly for work as I do a lot with MS Project/Access/Excel/Visio/Infopath and run MSN + mail + web etc continuously too (so my project teams can b*tch at me all day in realtime, LOL!).

I've so far managed to get my desktop extended over both screens so I can drag my mail/MSN/web over onto the 2nd screen all ok

• 1. DDz Quorum

To get the taskbar on the secondary screen, you will have to run both screens in the same resolution, and then tell Windows to stretch the desktop...

(Why would you want that anyways? Do you realise what distance you'd have to move the mouse from the Start button all the way to the system tray? That's a looong way on a 22" + 19" screen

• 1. DDz Quorum

To get the taskbar on the secondary screen, you will have to run both screens in the same resolution, and then tell Windows to stretch the desktop...

(Why would you want that anyways? Do you realise what distance you'd have to move the mouse from the Start button all the way to the system tray? That's a looong way on a 22" + 19" screen

• 2. Administrators

Apologies if this is a newb question, but if you're running two screens from one card you presumably lose video bandwidth to the primary display resulting in lower framerates? If this is the case, how many fps are likely to be lost? I ask because I'm interested in a similar setup myself, but I won't if I'm gonna lose a ton of frames.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Apologies if this is a newb question, but if you're running two screens from one card you presumably lose video bandwidth to the primary display resulting in lower framerates? If this is the case, how many fps are likely to be lost? I ask because I'm interested in a similar setup myself, but I won't if I'm gonna lose a ton of frames.

Jabo

Hey Jabo,

I've got 2 HD3870's running in Crossfire mode so there's plenty of GPU power there, plus bearing in mind there won't be much happening on the second screen during gaming, only teamspeak & maybe an open reference doc or 2 (if I can get this to to work!!)

Even a single decent card should be able to handle this as the 2nd screen uses minimal processing power to operate, so you shouldn't see much (if any) fps loss.

Hey Jabo,

I've got 2 HD3870's running in Crossfire mode so there's plenty of GPU power there, plus bearing in mind there won't be much happening on the second screen during gaming, only teamspeak & maybe an open reference doc or 2 (if I can get this to to work!!)

Even a single decent card should be able to handle this as the 2nd screen uses minimal processing power to operate, so you shouldn't see much (if any) fps loss.

not sure FT, I've just tried it with Silent Hunter IV (using my Il2 CCC profile) and it ran the second screen fine with mail open ok, although when I move to second screen and click on say, an email msg, it minimises SHIV back to the task bar on my main screen.

not sure FT, I've just tried it with Silent Hunter IV (using my Il2 CCC profile) and it ran the second screen fine with mail open ok, although when I move to second screen and click on say, an email msg, it minimises SHIV back to the task bar on my main screen.

i have HD 4850 GPU with two totally different monitors connected to it and everything is working fine. my primary monitor is Philips LCD 20" working on 1680x1050 res @ 60 Hz and the second one is Belinea CRT 19" with 1280x1024 res @ 80Hz. My game is set up to work in 1680x1050 res. did not notice any FPS drop that would be caused by second monitor. even when i was on much weaker GPU Ati 9600.

i've heard that some people had same problem (second monitor goes black while in IL2) but have no idea did the and how they fix the issue. what i can offer is since basically we have similar GPU-s we can go through some gonfig's of Ati and IL and compare. may be we can find where is the prob.

Also the taskbar should be possible to drag and drop on the second monitor in the extended mode.

as u can see in this picture [attachment=1]

my primary monitor is on the right and at the moment FF is covering entire monitor. my secondary monitor has a taskbar on the right and some other stuff running on it

and here is how it looks like while in the game[attachment=2]

i have HD 4850 GPU with two totally different monitors connected to it and everything is working fine. my primary monitor is Philips LCD 20" working on 1680x1050 res @ 60 Hz and the second one is Belinea CRT 19" with 1280x1024 res @ 80Hz. My game is set up to work in 1680x1050 res. did not notice any FPS drop that would be caused by second monitor. even when i was on much weaker GPU Ati 9600.

i've heard that some people had same problem (second monitor goes black while in IL2) but have no idea did the and how they fix the issue. what i can offer is since basically we have similar GPU-s we can go through some gonfig's of Ati and IL and compare. may be we can find where is the prob.

Also the taskbar should be possible to drag and drop on the second monitor in the extended mode.

as u can see in this picture

282_41d470b20efc45a74e21381d2ab89a3f

After having this second monitor sitting on the desk for a year I finally worked up the courage to set it up.

They're different sizes, ratios and resolutions

I hooked it up and set it to horizontal span (one wide desktop).

IL2 started up but was split between the two monitors.

On a reboot another option came up to "configure independently from each other(dualview)".

That got everything working as it should.

Thanks to everyone who posted here, got some ideas and fixes.