Smashes First PC Build = HELP!

Smash

Hey all i need a lil help. I kinda have an idea of what i want But then a again i have no clue. For starters i've been making 40$ ever two weeks

(Its ever two because that's when mom gets paid) just asked about a job haven't heard from them yet. I know i want to go with an intel and i want a Quad core other then that i don't know anything else. Mom said she would help buy some parts. still have to ask dad lol. So if you guys have any Recommendations Im all about it.

Smash :fighting:

:List of what i have now:

Mouse

Monitor

Speakers

Graphics Cards

MotherBoard

Track ir

Case

Hard drive: May need a different one

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all i need a lil help. I kinda have an idea of what i want But then a again i have no clue. For starters i've been making 40$ ever two weeks

(Its ever two because that's when mom gets paid) just asked about a job haven't heard from them yet. I know i want to go with an intel and i want a Quad core other then that i don't know anything else. Mom said she would help buy some parts. still have to ask dad lol. So if you guys have any Recommendations Im all about it.

Smash :fighting:

:List of what i have now:

Mouse

Monitor

Speakers

Graphics Cards

MotherBoard

Track ir

Case

Hard drive: May need a different one

Quad core will see you safe for a few years yet and will certainly give you 'bang for buck' if you buy right, i7 is still overpriced IMO and I'm sure there's help here to overclock if needed. (I run an E8400 dual core overclocked to 3.6ghz on my first 'self build' and only had to change 3 settings in my BIOS to achieve this

Quad core will see you safe for a few years yet and will certainly give you 'bang for buck' if you buy right, i7 is still overpriced IMO and I'm sure there's help here to overclock if needed. (I run an E8400 dual core overclocked to 3.6ghz on my first 'self build' and only had to change 3 settings in my BIOS to achieve this

I've played quite a few games but the three I've been playing is (il,2 Battlefeild2 fs9) and thats bout it. but on top of playing games i like too make videos of the games i play and skins. I will be happy with anything BUT Vista lol. Im not sure what a good price for a cpu is. Im aiming for somthing a lil basic I only need on DvD drive stuff like that im not aiming for uber computer yet.

Smash

I've played quite a few games but the three I've been playing is (il,2 Battlefeild2 fs9) and thats bout it. but on top of playing games i like too make videos of the games i play and skins. I will be happy with anything BUT Vista lol. Im not sure what a good price for a cpu is. Im aiming for somthing a lil basic I only need on DvD drive stuff like that im not aiming for uber computer yet.

Smash

Will you be able to scavenge the computer you are currently using for parts, or is it going to be given to someone else?

If you can scavenge your current rig, I suggest you post all of it's components' specs here... Some parts you certainly have to replace (motherboard) but others you may be able to carry over (case, power supply, RAM, DVD/CD drive, hard drives...).

I think Perfesser's comment:

For myself, to leave room for upgrades, I used the lower end PC package with the exception of the power supply and motherboard from the next higher package.

That was 2 years ago. I could now buy the faster 3.0 chip (at half the price it was then) to replace my 2.66, stick in a bit more RAM and perhaps a better vid card (all simple plug-ins since the basics are already there) and have a considerably upgraded system.

Is very good advice- buying a decent, but not bleeding edge ($$$) machine, that can be upgraded over time will give you the option of installing better vid card, CPU etc...

A good start would be an intel E8400 (for the games you are into which you can overclock. In my view there is no point in going to four cores for you, IL2, FS9 [and I believe BF2] do not implement multi-cores. Dual core will do you fine, and any mobo for a dual core should be good for a quadcore when the prices of those come down. The intel i7 chip will need a new Mobo- but I don't think you can afford an i7 rig at the moment.

I haven't been following the tech for about a year and a half (when I purchased my present rig), so I may be wrong about the details of the above.

Will you be able to scavenge the computer you are currently using for parts, or is it going to be given to someone else?

If you can scavenge your current rig, I suggest you post all of it's components' specs here... Some parts you certainly have to replace (motherboard) but others you may be able to carry over (case, power supply, RAM, DVD/CD drive, hard drives...).

I think Perfesser's comment:

For myself, to leave room for upgrades, I used the lower end PC package with the exception of the power supply and motherboard from the next higher package.

That was 2 years ago. I could now buy the faster 3.0 chip (at half the price it was then) to replace my 2.66, stick in a bit more RAM and perhaps a better vid card (all simple plug-ins since the basics are already there) and have a considerably upgraded system.

Is very good advice- buying a decent, but not bleeding edge ($$$) machine, that can be upgraded over time will give you the option of installing better vid card, CPU etc...

A good start would be an intel E8400 (for the games you are into which you can overclock. In my view there is no point in going to four cores for you, IL2, FS9 [and I believe BF2] do not implement multi-cores. Dual core will do you fine, and any mobo for a dual core should be good for a quadcore when the prices of those come down. The intel i7 chip will need a new Mobo- but I don't think you can afford an i7 rig at the moment.

I haven't been following the tech for about a year and a half (when I purchased my present rig), so I may be wrong about the details of the above.

I'm a big fan of high quality components, especially in the core of your system like motherboard and power supply.

Asus is a great brand, I've used their boards in almost all my systems. Just make sure it will be compatible with the rest of your system and leave room to upgrade with better chips and periphery cards.

If you're building a lower end system you can hardly go wrong by using the mobo recommended from the 'mid-range' systems from the sites I listed above..