TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro - Best place to buy?

GreyKnight

• 2. Administrators

Jabo,

Any problems using it during the day or with bright lights on in the house? Does it work well whatever conditions?

Have you got the trackclip pro too?

GK,

No, no problems at all. My desk sits in the corner of a room with a north-facing window on the left hand side, so my monitor (and TIR cam) faces into the room. During the day the this part of the house is reasonably bright, although without direct sunlight, and TIR works without issue. At night the room light is behind me (although I use one of those energy saving bulbs, so it's not all that bright) and again TIR works as normal. I don't know how it would perform in a room with direct sunlight, but it seems to work OK here. I use a TrackClip Pro for preference, but I've tried it with the hat clip, and it works OK, but I have to dial up the sensitivity which I guess might cause problems in a brightly lit room.

Jabo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jabo,

Any problems using it during the day or with bright lights on in the house? Does it work well whatever conditions?

Systems that use reflectors are subject to disturbances from outside light sources. Or rather heat sources. Mine worked fine until the first afternoon SEOW when the sun came in the window and warmed a spot on the wall behind me.

I switched to IR LED's powered off a USB port and it works perfectly with no adjustments for ambient light conditions.

A cigarette will throw it off and it will freeze for a second or two as it sees 4 heat sources instead of the 3 it needs.

Jabo,

Systems that use reflectors are subject to disturbances from outside light sources. Or rather heat sources. Mine worked fine until the first afternoon SEOW when the sun came in the window and warmed a spot on the wall behind me.

I switched to IR LED's powered off a USB port and it works perfectly with no adjustments for ambient light conditions.

A cigarette will throw it off and it will freeze for a second or two as it sees 4 heat sources instead of the 3 it needs.

• 2. Administrators

Oooh, I couldn't smoke and fly at the same time - it might set fire to the liquor... ;)

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Oooh, I couldn't smoke and fly at the same time - it might set fire to the liquor... ;)

Jabo

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant!

Just picked up my Trackir 5 from the post office and opened it up to put together. And the sensor that is supposedly to sit on top of its stand with a strong magnet, both these magnets are REPELLING each other, not attracting.

:riot:

Somehow... I have to reverse one of these magnets without busting anything!?!?!

:tosser:

Brilliant!

Just picked up my Trackir 5 from the post office and opened it up to put together. And the sensor that is supposedly to sit on top of its stand with a strong magnet, both these magnets are REPELLING each other, not attracting.

:riot:

Somehow... I have to reverse one of these magnets without busting anything!?!?!

:tosser:

• 2. Administrators

Ring RC Simulations first John, I have no idea why that magnet problem should be the case. Just had a look at mine though, and the sensor casing can be split easily with a precision screwdriver, and the magnet reversed.

Jabo

P.S. I can get on TS if you need a hand. PM me.

• 2. Administrators

Ring RC Simulations first John, I have no idea why that magnet problem should be the case. Just had a look at mine though, and the sensor casing can be split easily with a precision screwdriver, and the magnet reversed.

Jabo

P.S. I can get on TS if you need a hand. PM me.

I managed to have a load of neimoidian magnets on hand, and managed to tilt the monitor bracket a bit forward in order to fit the two neimoidian magnets above and below the bracket, just behind the proper seat. And now the Sensor sits tight on top of the new magnet.

Just tested it with DCS Black Shark and I'm blown away how good, and how simple it was to setup. I did absolutely NO FAFFING around, just started it up, centred it, and then ran the game with it fine.

I love the way it re-centres so perfectly. With my crappy alternative, nearly every time I re-centered my view, I had to re-centre the head tracker. Not with TrackIR, it holds centre every time.

I managed to have a load of neimoidian magnets on hand, and managed to tilt the monitor bracket a bit forward in order to fit the two neimoidian magnets above and below the bracket, just behind the proper seat. And now the Sensor sits tight on top of the new magnet.

Just tested it with DCS Black Shark and I'm blown away how good, and how simple it was to setup. I did absolutely NO FAFFING around, just started it up, centred it, and then ran the game with it fine.

I love the way it re-centres so perfectly. With my crappy alternative, nearly every time I re-centered my view, I had to re-centre the head tracker. Not with TrackIR, it holds centre every time.

I contacted both the people at NaturalPoint and RC simulations, where I bought it from, and NaturalPoint said in an email that one of their employees had accidently incorrectly placed the magnets in the brackets for about 100 units.

And they are shipping me a replacement bracket. So if anyone buys a TrackIR 5 in the near future and has a similar problem, don't forget to ask for a new bracket.

I contacted both the people at NaturalPoint and RC simulations, where I bought it from, and NaturalPoint said in an email that one of their employees had accidently incorrectly placed the magnets in the brackets for about 100 units.

And they are shipping me a replacement bracket. So if anyone buys a TrackIR 5 in the near future and has a similar problem, don't forget to ask for a new bracket.