Float plane FAIL

Poor guy, judgment call there.

Apparently you need waves to break the suction of the water on the floats.

They say to taxi around the lake a few times to make some waves.

I haven't seen that many water takeoffs but it looked like he was nose high and never really "up on the step".

Notice right at the end (too late really) he tried to lift one float out to break some drag. They slow down mighty fast when you kill the throttle in water ..... next time.

Hit refly I guess.

Now that I saw it again you notice has plenty of room but doesn't bother to line up into the wind and use all the water he could have.

Maybe just showing off?

Either way.......

Pilot error.

*expletive reconsidered* what a fool! If the thing was set up that the pilot definitely knew where the camera was and had arranged a risky take-off shot, or whether it was just a coincidence of positioning, that was a godawful piece of flying. Especially considering the long expanse of water that was available to build up speed on (on the cameraman's left side).

The thought of just how badly that could have turned out chills me.

B :o

This was originally posted at UBI Zoo. Fortunately, nobody was hurt in the incident.

:bg:

That was good luck, not good management---pilot brain-on-drain if he was sticking to a planned shot instead of watching his airspeed and turning right to stay on the water until he was at a safe v2---one of those on-the-spot judgment calls that training should have ground into his "No refly here" mentality.

I haven't seen that many water takeoffs but it looked like he was nose high and never really "up on the step".

That was my own feeling when I watched it. Apparently the FAA has put it down to a sudden gust of wind, but it seems to me that there was a problem early on (trying to get the nose up without sufficient lift) regardless of any gust later on.