Nootka Island Cougar

Blairgowrie

Here is a photo of a cougar killed on Nootka Island, British Columbia.

The fella who shot it, is 6 foot tall, and weighs about 220 lbs.He was standing next to Pat's B & B, when he saw the big cat pass him upwind, and then pass him down wind.

When the cat passed him again, he knew the cat was stalking him....that made it necessary to harvest the big cat,before someone got hurt.

I didn't realise just how big cougars are.

Cougar.jpg

:bg:

....That can't be real.....photoshopped methinks.

I've been lucky to see 3 cougars in the wild...they were all way smaller than that one...

The head loooks way too big in relation to the rest of the body....

Any other thoughts guys?...The whole thing looks wrong......but if I'm wrong,.....then...well...Yay for me!

Just looked cougar up and I guess that photo might be accurate after all.

Males have an average weight of about 53 to 72 kilograms (115 to 160 pounds). In rare cases, some may reach over 118 kg (260 lb). Female average weight is between 34 and 48 kg (75 and 105 lb). Cougar size is smallest close to the equator, and larger towards the poles.

The head of the cat is round and the ears erect. Its powerful forequarters, neck, and jaw serve to grasp and hold large prey. It has five retractable claws on its forepaws (one a dewclaw) and four on its hind paws. The larger front feet and claws are adaptations to clutching prey.

Cougars can be almost as large as jaguars, but are less muscled and powerful; where their ranges overlap, the cougar tends to be smaller than average. The cougar is on average as heavy as the leopard. Despite its size, it is not typically classified among the "big cats," as it cannot roar, lacking the specialized larynx and hyoid apparatus of Panthera.[18] Like domestic cats, cougars vocalize low-pitched hisses, growls, and purrs, as well as chirps and whistles.

...BG,

I guess it's real then.I too never thought they could be that big.I wonder how old it was...too bad it had to be"harvested".

Some years back I met a guy who worked for the railroad.He was out one day with his partner checking a section of the track.He was about a mile away from his buddy when he turned to look back.

When he turned,there was a cougar in a midair leap about 2 feet from him.He had unknowgly walked right under the cat who was perched on a rock ledge 15 feet above him. The cat pounced on him and had half his face in it's jaws.

Anyway,he said he never heard a thing.He turned and there it was.He was badly mauled but survived.He grew a beard to try and hide the scars.He also got rid of the 3 cats that were family pets....he said he can;t be around cats no more.

I've seen a couple around here too Bucky. One of them was just two or three miles away from our home. Also watched a mother Bobcat & her cubs playing once while sitting on a hillside during the deer hunt.

Other than that we have Black Bear & Coyote round here too.

BTW That is one nice specimen in the pic. I could never hunt them, but wouldn't hesitate to shoot one in self defense. Luckily the ones I've seen were trying to elude detection rather than stalking me.

I agree Bucky. It does look a bit phoney. If that thing came after you, you would be dog meat. Right?

It would depend upon what one was armed with and their ability to use it. I had an LAR .45 mag auto once that would have taken it out, and any number of high velocity rifles.

Pity he had to take it out, but when they start stalking you, it's best to pre-empt.

Big cat for sure, I've got one that lives on the land I Deer hunt, I've seen it several times, and its tracks every year for the last 4 seasons.

It so far has had no tendency to stalk any of us, and lurks away when ever we disturb it.

On another property about 15=17 years ago I shot a deer with Hair missing and claw marks on it hind quarters both sides. The Conservation dept. said then even before officially stateing we had Big cats again, that it was a cougar not a bobcat that had tried to bring it down a week or so before I did.

Can you imagine the adrenaline rush you would get, once realizing you are the prey?