Blue screen of death with XP

APHill

Hi Guys,

My problem is I keep getting the dreaded blue screen of death, normally when I'm playing video games. I haven't seen it crash when the system is just idling or I'm reading e-mail. I don't think it's a driver problem because the stock messages do not contain any reference to drivers. I'm still trying to figure out how to take a screenshot of the blue screen of death so that I can show others who may be able to help me what it says exactly. The stop code seem to change slightly every time it happens. I get a stop code such as stop; 0X0000000 a and then I have (0X00000280, ) and so on. No more codes or explanations after that.

I have posted my dxdiag,

Thanks for any help,

A.P.Hill

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 1/26/2009, 17:49:18

Thanks for the replies Jim and Lothar,

Cant wait 'til b16Enk gets a look at it. I am sure it will get straightened out eventually. One thing is sure, with computers you need lots of patience.

Regards

AP

• 1. DDz Quorum

Usually the Blue Screen will tell you what the faulting module is.

You can't do a screen print, but you can take a photo ;)

First things first.

To keep the BSD on screen:

Press the Windows + pause/break key to bring up system properties (or right click 'My Computer' > 'Properties').

Click the bottom settings button in the 'Startup and Recovery' section.

Untick 'Automatically restart' in the system failure section, then click 'OK'.

Now your system will show you the Blue Screen until you power cycle, giving you a chance to read it and find the faulting module (look for something ending in 'sys' or 'dll'.

Re Dxdiag:

You have two sound devices both using Full Hardware acceleration, one is a USB device.

Test with the USB device unplugged.

There is an update for your chipset drivers:

Linked Here

Download and install that, then test.

Thanks for the reply B16Enk,

I did uncheck the auto restart box so now I can read the screen It seems to change the message slightly every time but the first one went like this,

Stop: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005,0xb3edc99d,0xb43c6bac,0xb43c68a8) kmizer.sys-address b3edc99d base at b3ebb000,Datestamp480254b3

There was no other codes or messages after that.

next time it happens I will make sure I get the entire message if I have to copy it all down by hand. I will try to get hold of my

• 1. DDz Quorum

Just double click the drivers from Intel, no need to uninstall.

USB device:

I refer to your USB sound device.

To boot from CD:

Watch post (initial boot screen before windows starts to load) usually it is the 'del' key that needs to be pressed.

Once in BIOS look for boot order settings (alternatively tell me what the BIOS is - AMI Phoenix etc.. and I will then advise or what make/model your mobo is).

Memtest would be a good idea - but first confirm kmizer.sys from the blue screen...I think it is KmiXer.sys which is an audio system file, and points the finger at your sound hardware!

Your Realtek drivers are really old, a quick scan found these:

Hopefully you can get here! but I would be more confident when I know what Motherboard or system model you have! ;)

It might have been KM I XER.SYS

lately I've noticed a sound problem when I play IL-2. Everything will be normal in cockpit, than all of a sudden the sound of the engine increases way high I can't get it to change and I can't hear the sound of the guns or anything else anymore, either in or out of the cockpit. So something is going on with sound. So I will try to download new drivers for the real tech sound. I don't understand the sound system on this computer. All I know is that I have onboard sound, I do not have a sound card, so I'm assuming the real tech is part of the motherboard is that correct?

I forgot to mention I just had another system crash about 10 minutes ago I wrote down what it said this is the pertinent information:

IRQL_not_less_or_equal

Tech info

stop: 0X0000000 a (0XC2726020, 0X00000001, 0X00000001, 0X8051B386)

this is somewhat different than the other crashes and that the IRQL not less or equal is different, in that wasn't there before. So it

• 1. DDz Quorum

The Real Tek drivers I linked earlier are the right ones.

And yes it is on-board sound.

No need to uninstall, just run the setup and your drivers will be updated to Jan 2009.

You appear to have 2 sound devices, as I said earlier, one of them is a USB device (USB headphones/mic perhaps):

Description: Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: No

You need to unplug this and test with it unplugged.

You appear to have 2 sound devices, as I said earlier, one of them is a USB device (USB headphones/mic perhaps):
Description: Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: No

You need to unplug this and test with it unplugged.

+1 on this issue. This has always been a cause of conflicts in IL-2.

B :dog:

I use a set of microsoft headphones that are USB. Should I get a pair that are not USB? You know that use the 2 little pins to hook up to the computer? And how do I un-install the

• 1. DDz Quorum

I use a set of microsoft headphones that are USB. Should I get a pair that are not USB? You know that use the 2 little pins to hook up to the computer? And how do I un-install the

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ran Memtest all night and there were no errors. I think I may have to reformat

So drivers changed, USB device unplugged and still getting BSOD?

What are temps like, and voltages?

Have you tried doing a chdsk of your system drive? (right click drive in Explorer > properties > tools > check for errors then tick all boxes, you will need to reboot then for it to check and it will take a while.

I had a BSoD ounce wile using the regular (non usb) but I wasn't playing IL2 at the time I was just surfing the net. I haven't had a crash yet since using my Bose headphones (non usb) while flying. I will have to go out a buy some non usb headphones with a mic. Any suggestions on that?

I am going to reformat if I cant fix the problem, but not just yet. I hate to reformat.

I'm using a Creative headset which is fairly cheap, very comfy, and comes with a removable, flexible stalk-type mike. It's probably the best of all the units I've used in about ten years of RogerWilco & Teamspeak use, mainly because there is no swivelling hinge for the mike-boom. I always found that this is where the problems of frayed wire begin, and this flexi-stalk is way better. The headset I have is the regular mini-jack type - plugs into the sockets on the soundcard, or the sockets from an onboard sound chip. Here is the the link. This is the UK site, I believe they are cheaper in the USA.

B :dog:

• 1. DDz Quorum

I'm not sure this is caused by them sound devices.

I regularly use a USB headset with IL2, on full acceleration, while my xfi is still active.

No issues there.

I've been googling a bit on the kmixer.sys, and there's a lot that can cause this.

One guy fixed it (after a year and a half of trying) by getting a new Mobo...

I remember the story of a friend of mine, had bought a pc (A small one, a Cube PC),  BSOD's from the start. He tried just about everything (including some hardware swaps) but in the end the issue was caused by a faulty SATA cable... Now that's easy enough to try and fix, isn't it?

"Have you tried doing a chdsk of your system drive? (right click drive in Explorer > properties > tools > check for errors then tick all boxes, you will need to reboot then for it to check and it will take a while."

I did that for a while now, when I reboot, the computer comes up with a dos screen and says it doesn't recognize the key board ( a wireless one) and to press any key to continue. Well I had to just shut down and plug in a wired keyboard and it came back up,