XP 64 Bit

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

I'm playing with Server 2008 64Bit at the moment.

Very snappy, can be 'tuned' to make it more like a work station OS, and as it is built on the Vista core all Vista 64 drivers etc work with it.

Not tried IL2 on it...yet.

But that would just be a case of double clicking the launcher once I have my controllers mapped.

ATI driver loaded flawlessly, not installed sound yet.

But I too am thinking of installing XP32 boot option for IL2 only, have 5Gb partition unused for the OS itself, so I can get my MSFFB2 programmable again.

Roger: Looks like yours is working great!!! My Xeon setup really works well with IL-2 and other 32-bit programs in WoW64 mode. So far Win XP Pro on the 4200 workstation seems to be working quite well. It recognizes the Hyper Thread ability on the Pent 4 processor and IL-2 works smooth as silk. I haven't had to mess with virtual settings at all. No stuttering or dinging the hard drive at all.

• 2. Administrators

:madpc:

LOL m8, but anyway, Vista seems to be working out OK at present. Getting an Experience Index of 5.2 and a PassMark of 806 so I'm pretty happy with that. Once I've got the game installed, I'll do a fps check on the Black Death track...

~S~ Jabo

Oh, and Linksys have sorted the drivers for my WMP300N - no more trailing wires!

right now i'm in testing windows 7 beta public release. my test machine is @ work so no game testing but this is next on my to do list. first i need to get my self a new hdd.

for what i've seen till now win7 looks great, feels great and way faster then vista. maybe even fast as winxp.

• 2. Administrators

Yeah, I'm hearing good things about Windows 7, in fairness, I only went for Vista because I managed to buy a copy of Home Premium upg (produced before MS changed the package so you couldn't do a clean install

With all new Windows OS, I take a "wait and see" approach. I still haven't gone to VISTA and I probably won't. To me, it's like Windows Millennium...an interim system until a better one is released. I hope the next incarnation of Windows is 64 bit. I truly believe that is the system of the future. More and more comps are coming straight from the manufacturers with 64 bit pre-loaded on them. It's a much more stable platform, and if the game makers write the programs for 64 bit, they work more efficiently too...as can be seen with Crysis.

• 2. Administrators

More and more comps are coming straight from the manufacturers with 64 bit pre-loaded on them.

Not in the UK m8, most of the high street retailers ship Vista 32 bit as standard.

~S~ Jabo

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dep!

Ok, here's another one for you...

I know this seems like a dumb question, but what version of the Catalyst Drives do I have installed?

v6.14.10.xxxx

- or -

v8.523.xxxx

I bought a Asus EAH4870x2 Tri-Fan and have installed the drivers and CCC from the disk that came with this card.

I would say the 6.14 number is the driver version. The other number is the package version that includes all the rest of the stuff that is included in the install. But better ask Roger to make sure. I run nVidia so am not that familiar with ATI.

Dep

You might want to go to the ATI website and check there to see if there are any new drivers available. If it's like nVidia, you just tell them which video card and OS you are running, and they tell you the correct drivers to use. But I would still consult with Roger. I think some ATI drivers don't work well. He would know.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I'm using the 9.1s.

There are some graphical anomalies with them (not so evident in IL2 I am pleased to say) and performance wise they seem very good.

You are using the 8.8s by the looks of it, judging by the file version of ati2dvag.dll..

We are quite limited on the version we can use with the 4870 series card, so far the 9.1s have proved to be the best for me in respect of IL2.