Flying Legends Duxford 2009

Jabo

I've been officialy invited and I'll definetely be there ...

We have plenty of time to discuss details but i like Sid's idea ... i think that camping is great for bunch of hammered disgusting pricks :P :P :P and they might not allow us to enter any hotel or guest house

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2. Administrators

If the accomodation is looking dodgy then I will be taking my VW camper...there is a site I have used before about 9 miles away from Duxford at Cherry Hinton, south of Cambridge. Could offer basic "camping type" accomodation to 2 - 3 people if they wanted it. Obviously a "bed and breakfast"/hotel etc would be more comfortable but, hey, if needs must.

A journey to Hendon camper-style might be a little sedate though.....

Sounds like fun

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

I met today with a friend who works for the ambulances in Bedfordshire and asked about the effect of the 'Bedfordshire County Show' traffic on the area around Old Warden. As the show is held at the aerodrome and is busy, he said that there is a big effect on traffic flow getting in and out - up to 25,000 people attend. Does this affect our plans? 

• 2. Administrators

Yep - feck Shuttleworth, let's go to Cosford. I suggest though that we have a separate DDz outing to one of Shuttleworth's evening air displays some point during the summer (or what passes for it in Blighty). Apparently it's nice to sit there in the late afternoon/early evening and watch the really old stuff get an airing (due to the breeze dropping later in the day usually). As always though - what do other people think?

• 2. Administrators

~S~ Sged, yeah, you can buy a ticket on the day, it's just a bit cheaper in advance. Check the website for accepted cards, Maestro/Cirrus or Visa Debit should be OK.

Plans for Sunday are in the firming up stage - it currently looks like RAF Museum - Cosford which is not far from Birmingham. The visit to the Shuttleworth Collection has been postponed to another time due to traffic difficulties (local county show on there on the Sunday). Lots of cool Lufty stuff at Cosford - Me-162, Me-410 anybody? Also Avro Lincoln, all three v-bombers (Valiant, Victor and Vulcan) etc etc etc. You could probably get a flight home from Birmingham International - dead easy to get to and tons of flights to continental Europe.

Glad to hear you're heading to Duxford deskpilot - Head to the Red Lion for a swift half before heading home - beats sitting in traffic any day. The serious drinkers are getting there on Friday to get a headstart. I think the official rendezvous for Saturday is breakfast at the RL (9ish - later if I'm hungover) before heading to the airfield.

• 2. Administrators

Permission denied I'm afraid mate. There's no telling what the ddz will get up to without the steadying influence of a member of the (ahem) clergy. Perhaps you could leave a few of the sisters at the Red Lion just 'in case'.

You could probably get a flight home from Birmingham International - dead easy to get to and tons of flights to continental Europe......

Thing is I'm coming by rail, so need to know, coz prolly need the right station to head back to the Tallis/Eurostar....guess that's London...

• 1. DDz Quorum

So that's North Worcestershire Sid.

Definitely not Birmingham.

Got it.

Not Birmingham...............not Birmingham.................

'Course my mum's got a friend who lives in Southampton but says she's from "near Bournemouth." :whistle:

;D Correct, thought I was understating it though......what do you think?

;D Correct, thought I was understating it though......what do you think?

I think you're all going to have a great time at Duxford this year and the weather will be fantastic.

If all goes to plan I'm hoping to be staying with cousins in Aus. for our summer hols this year but when we get back it will be time to recite that old Somerset folk song "Apples be ripe, nuts be brown. Petite coats up, trousers down." :sheepsmile: