Re: anti spyware

Fireman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got wacked yesterday, and am still trying to fix my machine, I managed four trojans, so I decided instead of fixing them I'd ust restore, Well Windows restor errors out, I got no IE, and even My Norton Ghost disk won't load it back up, on my Front partion and Work OS.

TOAD did you get wacked on Monday? Do you know where?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Andrew, if you did not format there is a very good chance your email file is still there!

What client do you use?

If it's outlook express then look in c:\documents and settings\, you should see a list of user names.

If you created a logon with the same name as before your new one will consist of two parts.

For example my PC is called 'Rogers' and my logon is 'Roger', this results in my new user folder being 'rogers.roger' and my old one being just 'Roger'.

Your emails 9and settings) will be stored in a folder thus:

C:\Documents and Settings\OLD USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{E820821D-62D9-4081-965A-4B80A4902837}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

Change the bits in Bold Red text to match what you have (the last bit E820821D-blah-blah-blah) is a randomly generated string and Mozilla Firefox (which you really should be using ;) ;) ) and Thunderbird do the same.

You can import the old messages (and settings too if required) by going to File->Import->Messages Select outlook 6,then tick Import mail from an OE6 store directory, click ok and browse to the folder you found above..

You will alos now have a good idea how to determine where your current mail store is, and knowing that means you can back it up to your external hard drive ;)

• 1. DDz Quorum

oh and one last thing....

Your rights have not changed as a result, I don't think you had moderation rights here originally.

Whatever happens on your PC won't affect your permissions here ;):)

oh and one last thing....

Your rights have not changed as a result, I don't think you had moderation rights here originally.

Whatever happens on your PC won't affect your permissions here ;):)

ummm yeah...I think I did.

I could delete any thread/post I wanted....could lock/unlock posts and I was alway notified when someone new joined the pack, so to speak.

Andrew, if you did not format there is a very good chance your email file is still there!

What client do you use?

If it's outlook express then look in c:\documents and settings\, you should see a list of user names.

If you created a logon with the same name as before your new one will consist of two parts.

For example my PC is called 'Rogers' and my logon is 'Roger', this results in my new user folder being 'rogers.roger' and my old one being just 'Roger'.

Your emails 9and settings) will be stored in a folder thus:

C:\Documents and Settings\OLD USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{E820821D-62D9-4081-965A-4B80A4902837}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

Change the bits in Bold Red text to match what you have (the last bit E820821D-blah-blah-blah) is a randomly generated string and Mozilla Firefox (which you really should be using ;) ;) ) and Thunderbird do the same.

You can import the old messages (and settings too if required) by going to File->Import->Messages Select outlook 6,then tick Import mail from an OE6 store directory, click ok and browse to the folder you found above..

You will alos now have a good idea how to determine where your current mail store is, and knowing that means you can back it up to your external hard drive ;)

I dont have any "C:\Documents and Settings\OLD USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{E820821D-62D9-4081-965A-4B80A4902837}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

Sorry if you already know this.

Those are prolly hidden folders.

To see them, open any folder, select Tools/Folder Options/View.

In there you will find a box for hidden files and folders.

Tick the 'show' button.

thanks ...hadnt done that.

If I used Outlook and not express IS this what I'd be looking for?:

C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

I got wacked yesterday, and am still trying to fix my machine, I managed four trojans, so I decided instead of fixing them I'd ust restore, Well Windows restor errors out, I got no IE, and even My Norton Ghost disk won't load it back up, on my Front partion and Work OS.

TOAD did you get wacked on Monday? Do you know where?

I don't remember if it was late Sunday or Monday, I just know for sure I realized I had, and was loosing control on Monday.

What was the free hositng site, so I'l know to stay away from it?

Fireman there are programs to retrive data from your drive, aslong as you haven't formatted it yet.

If you have you still can, but it's not affordable.

I borrowed one once, but don't recall its name, and it worked like a charm.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=da ... y&aq=f&oq=

• 1. DDz Quorum

If I used Outlook and not express IS this what I'd be looking for?:

C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

Yes that is correct.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Activex is useful only for windows update and creative driver updates.

nVidia uses it too, but has an alternative for Firefox.

Firefox is pretty safe, safer than IE any way.

Windows update will always use IE, but other than that I do not think you will miss or use IE.