The upgrade junkyard/flea-market

Cold_Gambler

• 2. Administrators

I'm interested in the RAM cooler m8, I'll PM you with an offer

Jabo

I'll take a fiver plus postage, if that suits?

Works for me m8, let me know the full amount. You want paying by paypal?

Jabo

I'm interested in the RAM cooler m8, I'll PM you with an offer

Jabo

I'll take a fiver plus postage, if that suits?

Works for me m8, let me know the full amount. You want paying by paypal?

Jabo

Just PM me with your snailmail and then I'll know how much the postage is. Will post Tuesday, we'll do dosh when it gets there.

The parts for my new build are coming in now so I'll be giving away the following components within the next week or so:

2 X 4850s (can be crossfired on appropriate board such as the foxconn).

1 Foxconn P38A (iirc) mobo

1 E8400 (overclocks, but not all that well on the foxconn, in my opinion the mobo was the limiting factor)

2 X 1GB DDR3 ram sticks (I forget the precise specs, but they have heatspreaders and are decent).

I have all the original boxes and manuals etc. and can provide more specs on request (going off memory for the above).

Basically, there are all the core components for a slightly obsolescent but still decent machine; the only part I found disappointing was the mobo as it never gave me much of an overclock compared to what others have been able to squeeze out of the e8400).

I can either ship it all together (my preference) or part it out. Recipient pays shipping; I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

Cheers,

Angus (C_G)

Angus, I would very very much like your E8400 to replace my E6600 and am very willing to pay postage from Canada to the UK.

However, I quite understand that you'd rather get rid of the gear as a job-lot so if you get a better offer then take it m8.

Btw, now your family is fairly well established and you're getting a new whizz-bang system which you're gonna be amazed at the eye-candy it will produce, have you thought about a vasectomy!? What with your new system, the progress the devs are making with CloD and the impact of global warming, have it done now and you could be flying Coops with us in a couple of years! :thumbsu:

Edit; Doh, I'll have the mobo and ram too if you want as I've just realised it's all higher spec than my stuff. Can I suggest you hang onto the graphics cards as a handy back-up, just in case.................................Also, gonna have to offer you more than postage m8.

If not money then books or something. I know from past experience that I cannot post single malt scotch from the UK to Canada :icon_twisted:

Angus, I would very very much like your E8400 to replace my E6600 and am very willing to pay postage from Canada to the UK.

However, I quite understand that you'd rather get rid of the gear as a job-lot so if you get a better offer then take it m8.

Btw, now your family is fairly well established and you're getting a new whizz-bang system which you're gonna be amazed at the eye-candy it will produce, have you thought about a vasectomy!? What with your new system, the progress the devs are making with CloD and the impact of global warming, have it done now and you could be flying Coops with us in a couple of years! :thumbsu:

Hey Arthur :)

I'm not sure an e8400 is much of an upgrade from the e6600. Bit of a bigger cache, and a bit higher clock but I dunno. Anyway, your call as to whether it's worth the postage.

If you don't mind I'll wait until the new rig is built to give others the chance to check it this post and get in touch with me if they're interested. If there are no takers I'm happy to find out how much it will be to ship it to the UK. Hopefully by then the postal strike here will be resolved.

As for the family, we're stopping at 3. We've done our duty at keeping the national birthrate up. In 4 years (! Wahhhhhh!) I should be upgrading again and ready to rock with you guys again. Just the GPU upgrade has been awesome, I can't wait to see what it'll be like on similarly matched hardware!

Post Edit reply:

if you're running an e6600 at the moment I'm pretty sure it should also take an e8400 so you may not want my mobo (it's not bad, just disappointing for overclocking) which would make it a very easy upgrade as all you'll have to do is take off the e6600 and ram and slap in the new components onto the mobo you already have, flick the onswitch and there you go... I'm happy to throw in the 4850s at no extra charge ;)

:)

Whatever you wanna do Angus but I'm deffo interested in the E8400. I've got a Gigabyte mobo which is good for overclocking and a GTX460 so I think it'll give me a decent boost in RoF and CloD.

As I noted in the other thread, I'm just waiting on the velociraptor (should arrive by Friday at the latest), so it looks like I'll be putting the new build together over the weekend.

Unless I hear from somebody about wanting more than one component, the E8400 and RAM are yours. I agree that you don't need the mobo and I'm pretty sure the GTX460 is better than 2X 4850s.

:) The postal strike is still on here, but there are plenty of other options. There's a Purolator outlet in my office building so I could get a precise quote for air vs. ground shipping to the UK.

Just glad to help a fellow dog out :)

OK folks,

the VRaptor came in this morning (most impressed by Newegg, I am), so I'm going to be putting the new build together in the next few days.

As it stands, Arthur will be getting the E8400 and TOAD is getting the 2X1 GB Ram.

That leaves the Mobo and 2 X 4850s.

A fellow, callsign Bandy, over on the SimHQ board has expressed an interest to use them to build his son a rig, but you guys get first dibs... so let me know soon if you're interested.

Cheers all,

C_G

The 4890 arrived yesterday Ross, thanks!

Now I've got to do the transplant :)

Ah, good, I'm glad to hear it got there safely. If you have already got an Ati card then install is minimal under Win 7. I do suggest Driver Cleaner or equivalent if you had a green one - but hey? What am I telling you for? ^-^

You need a single 6-pin PCiE plug iirc. Have fun!

Wanted: Flight yoke and rudder pedals.

A buddy of mine that lives nearby wants to get into flight sims but would rather have a yoke than a joystick. He is a full scale pilot and would feel more comfortable with a controller similar to his experience with flight. Does anyone have a used yoke and or rudder pedals that we can purchase for a resonable price and get him flying with us? I am pretty sure that if he does start flying IL-2 or RoF he will quickly want a flight stick rather than a yoke but I could be wrong. Either way he wants to start first with a yoke. Anything in a closet, attic, basement just laying around?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I've been sorting through the post-upgrade box and I have a few items that I'd like to clear out. Best first:

An ATI HD4890 with 1GB DDR5. This is the Peak model (PCiE), made specially for OCUK, and sports an Accelero TwinTurbo cooler. It has DVI, VGA and HDMI connectors and runs DX 10.1. This one has very few 'miles on the clock' and is in PWO.

SOLD

An OCZ XTC RAM cooler (version 2). Basically two fans in a black casing which clips over the DIMM-slot clips, thereby holding the RAM in place (useful) and blowing cool air over it (useful for running RAM @ full chat. Uses power from any mobo header, has two speeds and blue LEDs, very sexy. SOLD

4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC3-10666 DDR3 RAM. A matched pair with a rating of 6-6-6 @ 1.75v. Good, fast gaming RAM.

Any reasonable offers accepted.

Ross, do you still want to unload the DDR3 ram? I've just blown one stick of my DDR2 but also realised I've got a couple of DDR3 slots in my old faithful P35 mobo and these would nestle nicely and get me into the exciting, actioned-packed DDR3 club.

I've been sorting through the post-upgrade box and I have a few items that I'd like to clear out. Best first:

An ATI HD4890 with 1GB DDR5. This is the Peak model (PCiE), made specially for OCUK, and sports an Accelero TwinTurbo cooler. It has DVI, VGA and HDMI connectors and runs DX 10.1. This one has very few 'miles on the clock' and is in PWO.

SOLD

An OCZ XTC RAM cooler (version 2). Basically two fans in a black casing which clips over the DIMM-slot clips, thereby holding the RAM in place (useful) and blowing cool air over it (useful for running RAM @ full chat. Uses power from any mobo header, has two speeds and blue LEDs, very sexy. SOLD

4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC3-10666 DDR3 RAM. A matched pair with a rating of 6-6-6 @ 1.75v. Good, fast gaming RAM.

Any reasonable offers accepted.

Ross, do you still want to unload the DDR3 ram? I've just blown one stick of my DDR2 but also realised I've got a couple of DDR3 slots in my old faithful P35 mobo and these would nestle nicely and get me into the exciting, actioned-packed DDR3 club.

Yes mate, I'd be happy to let you have it for twenty squids. DDR3 is cheap at the moment, so all I can say is that this pair of sticks is practically unused, has pretty fast timings and comes with a lifetime guarantee. It keeps pretty cool with the Reaper heatsinks.

If you're OK with that then let me have your snail addy and I'll post them over for you to try out.

Ross

• 1 month later...

Anyone interested in a Razor Mamba 5600dpi wireless mouse for 75.00 USD?

I paid 119.99 for it on 5-19-11 but my hands are way too large for comfort. Works great, as specified but again not at all comfortable for me. I am thinking about the R.A.T. 7 instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153048

The R.A.T. is HUGE and of course it looks like something out of one of the Transformer movies, you can change just about every part out for something else....wonder if I can clamp an M60 on that sucker?

Anyway.....

Need to sell this over-priced paperweight first though. ;)

SOLDAnyone want to buy a Phenom II 955 Black Edition? - used, one owner, always water-cooled. It's working fine - I just got a 975 for my birthday and so it's surplus to requirements.

Edit: Also comes with a brand-new, copper-based, with-heat-pipes, AMD stock cooler. If I wasn't water cooling I'd be using one of these! OUT :thumbsu:

Today my Track IR4 died. (I think). It doesn't read the vector points, just shows a few lines on the tracking view.

Then it locks up.

I took this as a sign for God to order a Track IR5. (you must recognize and obey these signs or face eternal

damnation as I explained to my wife.)

If anyone wants the 4 just let me know and I'll ship it to you. Maybe someone can do something with it.