Track IR substitute

Jediteo

The other day when flying with the dogs, we came onto the subject of track ir. It seems that some do not have this magnificent piece of sim-goodness

Personally, I do not affort to spend the 150+£ for the track Ir system, so I came across a software called Freetrack.

It is very similar to track ir, utilising the tracking of LEDs with a webcam. With the LEDs you can have 6DOF, which works perfectly in Il2.

All you need is

A cheap webcam

3 IR LEDs (can be bought from any electronics store)

A soldering iron

A ballcap (or you can fashion a clip to attach to your headset)

Some small cables

A battery (I use a 1.5 v AA battery)

http://www.free-track.net/english/

If you want any help, I am more that happy to help you.

It is rather easy to create (took me about 1-2 hours)

and it is considerably cheaper (build my setup for about 20£, and that includes all material)

• 2. Administrators

Thanks Jediteo. This idea has saved me a bunch of cash and I can now get my X52 instead! In the words of Krusty - I heartily endorse this event or product. Incidentally, I modified the basic model to power from a USB port so I don't need a battery - of course, it does mean another cable attaching me to the 'puter.

~S~ Jabo

P.S. I have to build another one, so I'll take some pictures of the build to give people an idea of what's involved.

• 3 months later...

one way is to put 3 led's on your cap and direct them to camera. but this requires a battery or other power supply and wires going from your cap to the PS.

other way is to put 6 IR led's on the camera facing to your cap and put some reflective stickers or something similar. the cap that TOAD build would be good also except that the reflective part does not have to be so big. u can have small bolls for this one ;) . so there is no wires going from your cap.

in the camera is 5V coming from USB port. u can use it for powering those 6 led's so no extra wires there also. schema is attached.

if u decide to put led's on your cap take a fine rasp or sand paper and sand off the round tip of the led's. it will help to disperse the light.

282_80dce9d50e6385cf5bbfae4eb5533845

282_231b300d3ed10151ecc6a05af81915d8

Now there's something obvious I hadn't thought of .......... ~S~

The LED's I found are from Kingbright Corporation in California are already flat topped have an 80 degree half angle.

I couldn't find them anywhere in the catalogue but an inquiry got an answer the same day.

Trout doesn't have a camera yet so it will be even easier for him, he might just be able to get an IR webcam with the LED's built in.

I found one at Tiger Direct for $26 CAD, hell I might even go buy it and save the trouble of all the rest.

What are you using for the reflectors?

when i bought my self a motor helmet i got some reflective stickers extra. i used them for the purpose.

for a beginning u could use a hat with only 1 point. this is enough for two degrees of freedom and to be able to look around freely. 6 degrees of freedom are only available in moded version of the game

From what I have heard, reflectors are more difficult to use, as they reflect a lower amount of light than a LED would provide.

All you need is

A webcam to slaughter

A floppy disc

A hat (or headset to attach the LEDs to)

IR-LEDs (the normal ones can be sanded down into wide angle)

Wire

Shrink tubing

A battery holder

maybe resistors

A battery or powersource (I used a battery bay)

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

My webcam and its 'creative' use of a box for somewhere to put it.

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

I've been debating trying this, for no other reason, than curiosity.

I will say, if you do it in reverse as Gec mentioned Smaller balls = brighter lights. and Larger balls = dimmer lights.

It works that way with TIR too.

If your running into problems, you generally need a larger reflective piece.

The balls only make sure no matter the angle of your head the IR light still hits the same size of reflective material. Thus making it more trouble free.

Thanks for all the tips guys, I like the reflector route and will pursue that for now, just to save on the complexity and I like the light weight as opposed to the battery system.

Guaranteed someone in this house will have it on the floor and then run over it with the office chair to the detriment of the tender bits (no names).

The IR webcam is not in stock.... 2 weeks ............. grrrrrrrrr