Dedicated Server?

Tonar

Well alrighty then.

A game server can be any of your old rigs that you have passed down to upgrade to what you have today.

Graphics is a none issure, the game is nothing but computer language back and forth, any graphics will do.

You will be serving the game in a Dos format, or with a GUI like Server Commander or the new unreleased FBD, you can still use the old FBD but IMO its a PIA. In Dogfight Mode.

When mine is up and running I actually access it remote desktop.

In coop mode it does require a bit of graphics since the game has to run just like normal, from a installed game from disc or download. You will also have to click all the buttons, and pick the missions as normal when you host a coop, on your normal gaming machine.

But you can tweak the conf.ini to force the game into a small window, and turn the games graphics all the way down to free up resourses, and it will host almost as good as the Dedicated Server does for dogfight.

Now there is a prog that you will have to get permission to recieve that will allow coop via GUI I was signed up to get it once, filled out the waver and all, but ran short on available time due to work and I never pursude it anyfurther. rnzoli is the developer of it. I've flown on a few and they seem to work fine.

http://web.t-online.hu/rnzoli/IL2DSC/intro-coop.html

http://web.t-online.hu/rnzoli/IL2DSC/status-kadin.html

http://web.t-online.hu/rnzoli/IL2DSC/st ... kadin.html

I was going to take campaigns and convert them over to roll in consecutive time line.

Like WTCF with permission of course.

My Server could easily host 50 players, if it had a better connection Im almost sure of it, during play of 20+ I never saw my resourses run over 50%, but my internet connection, was 100% though I have cable 5000/500

So if any of you have a better hard line connection, then there is a real possibility here, I have yet to play on a wireless, connection that stays stable, no matter its strenght.

My server had

AMD1900+

2 gigs 3500 ram

ATI 9800

4 IDE hard drives

Asus Mobo don't recall the model off me head

Edit I see Rico beet me to some of it.

The KV switch is also handy, I have one on my gameing machine, since I have a printer server for the house in the same desk, that shares the keybourd, mouse, monitor.

The only reason to have a true server/rack is for a business, with lots of satalite machines, and a IT department to fiddle with.

Or actually rent one from some service out there, to host your games on, but that terribly expensive.

Having a T1 connection at home is expensive too, (probably required) but if you do, or you own a business, that has it, and a place to put a gaming server in, via a rack type or home built in a pc case, a small monthly dues from players if even required, can keep one going fairly cheap.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Servers (as in IBM/Dell etc) tend to be very noisy systems - I should know we have several thousand of them in the building I work in!

Toad's advice is excellent, and I personally would look into getting a reasonable spec desktop to do the server role.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a co-location server, to serve dual duty of game server and web server.

But at £50 p.m. I cannot yet justify the expense.

Rnzoli's automatic dedicated co-op server was a great idea, now that would be sweet to have for the DDs..

Tonar,

I think one of the biggest bottlenecks/limiting factors is the upload bandwidth the server will have. My upload bandwidth is almost the same of yours, 750Kb/s. With that, I am only able to host a dozen people without problems. Anymore than that, and we get stutters and lag.

If you look at BG's upload speed, he has something ridiculous like a 10Mb/s upload, more than my download speed! Which is outstanding and this is why he can host 32 people without a problem, and my PC is probably more powerful than his server. But it's the upload bandwidth that's the key.

Wow BG, best I can get at home is 10m/1.5m

Now I do have my server at work with my hobby site theflighthangar.com and it has OC3 connections ;)

I work at the University of California, so have a big backbone there...hehe...just not sure if I would get smacked for a game server as that would be loaded all hours of the day.

Anyone know the amount of traffic generated with with 10 or 15 players on regularly?