Gentlemen your thoughts please

Wingnut

BBloke...I have not yet recieved the sound card...in the time between now and when I get another machine I'm gonna try real hard with my current system plus the new card when it arrives to get it right...I had planned to get a new machine anyway...I just stepped up the time table a little...

Not really Wingnut. Dual core runs just great. Quad core is fine if you do a lot of multi-tasking but doesn't benefit gaming.

In thinking about your issue, wouldn't it be better to try a Windows reformat first and see if that solves the issue. A reformat is simple to do. If you screw it up all you do is reformat again. The key to a reformat is to make sure you back up all your important stuff first. Just takes time.

I was going to reformat...but I lost interest in doing that recently...the system is old...and well I could bandage it up and limp along for a while I guess, but I think it is time for new...I don't need a real "hot rod", just something that will allow me to get the most out of the game visually and frame rate wise...I'd like to be in a position that would make my machine upgradeable...as in I don't want to buy an instanly obsolete machine...I'd like to be able to have it for a good 4-5 years before I'm in this position again...I don't want to break the bank either. I know that sounds like a lot to ask but I've already done some research and found some that I think are in my price range...(just slightly lower than the estimated services of Quasi)

Just don't do anything rash m8. Consult back here before making a buy. I guarantee Quazi will build it cheaper than anywhere you can buy. And he will give you control over all the parts that go into it.

You will need a machine that can run il2 easily and maybe also BOB. The two key building blocks will be a good ventilated case with lots of 120mm fans and a adequate power supply of no less than 850W.

Quazi likes the Foxconn board which will run on DDR2 memory but is upgradeable to DDR3 when the cost of it comes down. Intel is currently the way to go on a new build for price and performance.

Always exciting to contemplate a new build but don't act too quickly. You know the old joke about the young bull and the old one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=013

If flying our current sim is the main reason you are wanting to build, and if getting by as cheap as possible is of an interest, then check the link above. It's a fantastic mobo in AM2, a dual core AM2 X2 4400, and 2GB OCZ memory. With five hours left on the auction the bid is only up to $99. I expect the price to not go up much further. Then all you need to complete the builds is a case, a PSU, a hard drive, a DVD drive, and a PCI-E graphics card. This would be a great cheap way to go to have a rig that will really run this sim exceptionally well.

But feel free to shoot me an email with any questions you may have at Tim777@comcast.net I am happy to help you in any capacity that you feel I can help.

• 2. Administrators

Damn, I'd buy that myself! Ditto all the above m8, but I had to spend extra on one particular item it'd be the gfx card - NVIDIA's current 8600/8800 series are very good but the top spec models can be pricey - shop around for the best deals. Mind you, I'm running the game on a card that's a a few years old with no frame rate problems (well, only occasionally) at very high quality settings - can't squeeze to 'perfect' tho

I just built a computer with parts I bough off new egg. I spent just over $900 with shipping. Asus P5N E SLI Mobo, Intel E6550 Core2duo@ 2.33 ghz 2 gigs P6400 DDR2 ram , DVDRW, 180gig HD, XFXGT8600 video card, Xion case , 700 watt PS, Windows XP and Acer 20" widescreen monitor. I am still waiting on about $80 in rebates but oh well. Its not hard to put one together and if you need help I am willing to help.

~S~

is there any reason that I can't use an XP disk that came with another computer...rather than order a new XP disk to put on a new computer...seems an easy way to save about $100 US. The other computer in question is a laptop that took a lightning strike that fried the MOBO and HD...just wondering....

WingNut,

Have a look at the bottom of the laptop to see if it's got the Micro$oft Windows XP hologram sticker with the key code on it.

But usually the XP CDs that come with PCs/Laptops are not the full XP install CD. They're just recovery CDs that will install an image on whatever machine it was designed for, drivers n' all. So check to see if it's the full XP CD instead.