New Model For Christmas - 1/32 Dragon P-51D

Rattler

You nerd Rattler! You painted each individual round according to their type! Is the panel that goes on top of these removable? Or is it glued in place?

1. Yes, yes I am.

2. The panel is removable now as it is, but I'm going to see how it fits after painting. It will be in 3 pieces like the real thing, and I may leave the other side closed it the fit doesn't look right, At least one wing will be nice and clean then.

This is what most planes look like at airshows, so I might have it as such, and make a small door-prop to keep the front gun bay door open, while the other 2 sit on the wing.

Hey, mate. It looks like you might have a bad case of Advanced Modelers Syndrome starting there. At it's apex it can cause one to have 15 projects going for 5-10 years and none completed in that time. If you need someone to talk to I'm available. Confidentially of course.

Hey, mate. It looks like you might have a bad case of Advanced Modelers Syndrome starting there. At it's apex it can cause one to have 15 projects going for 5-10 years and none completed in that time. If you need someone to talk to I'm available. Confidentially of course.

:roflmao:

That's me. I've been looking at the UbiZoo modeller's thread and cringing - I have a M1A2 to finish with a M88A1 taking out it's powerpack, and a Challenger 1 Desert War as well as all the 1/32 planes I have on the go.

This last bit of work on the Mustang is as much as I've done since my 1/48 Spitfire and the 1/32 Me 109.

Still, I'm enjoying it alot!

• 2 weeks later...

I miss doing that, but the eyes and hands just won't let me.....plus the outrageous cost of those things now. A few yrs ago, I saw a Tamiya 1/4 scale Buffalo for over $40. I figured it was time to quit.

Geez, I spend that much sometimes on aftermarket upgrades!

• 2 months later...

Ok, latest update. First coat of bare aluminium on. The engine panels and gun bay panels are removable, so the gaps will be more noticable than when mounted properly. Also, the control surfaces are movable, so they will be displayed properly too.

22_561031a517e4cf5dbee3f1e10899a9d8

• 2. Administrators

very nice m8. As a long since retired modeller, I have a question. ISTR that glues dont stick painted parts together, but I notice that the areas around the canopy (for instance) are painted. How you get things to stick to a painted surface? I'm guessing that either the glues or the paints have changed in the last 20-odd years?

Jabo

very nice m8. As a long since retired modeller, I have a question. ISTR that glues dont stick painted parts together, but I notice that the areas around the canopy (for instance) are painted. How you get things to stick to a painted surface? I'm guessing that either the glues or the paints have changed in the last 20-odd years?

Jabo

They would be scraped off, mate. You're correct - model glues do not mix well with paints, as the solvent melts the paint rather than the plastic. However, as the solvents also craze clear plastics, I'll be using white glue (Elmer's) to attach the screen and canopy, so there's no problem.

Ah, that would explain it. So are you using a regular plastic cement, or some sort of cyano?

I use 3 types: a cyano based instant glue, white glue for plastic parts, and various Testors liquid glues (red tube, and very thin liquid in a bottle.) I prefer to use the Testors liquid for most things, but if I need a quick solid joint, out comes the cyano. It's good for gap filling as well.

here is the little brother - humbrol silver was used

123_2321.jpg

latest is a DC-3

DSCN0440.jpg

DSCN0438.jpg

automotive rattle can used

it needs polished then futured and should look good

I would like to try alcan but the prep work is hard , everything must be perfect and my seams arnt that great so until I get the filling and sanding down pat then Ill stick to this

• 2 weeks later...

Major work mostly done. Some gear details to do. Several issues with the design of the kit in general, but overall an easy kit to build for the average modeler. Hard to find room for all these 1/32 scale planes I'm building though!

22_16b958ed08a7aff572920d10936233e3

22_74e0d3bee12aeea7d77673af09498c3f