Return of the pit!

Sloan

Hey everyone. It's been a *very* long time! First off, the usual apologies for my absence are in order. I still don't have access to the net at home.

Here's what I'm writing about. I recently put in for an innovation grant at the library I work at and today I heard back that I will receive $1200 to build a cockpit. For educational purposes of course! This money will go towards materials, switches and flight gear (unfortunately it will not be enough for a brand new computer for myself!). Over the coming months I hope to post my work here and get a little feedback from you guys since I'll be using IL-2 as the simulator for which the cockpit is designed around.

I hope you don't mind me using this thread to bounce ideas around regarding the placement of switches, seating etc.

Hope all is well in the K9 world!

-Sloan

Excellent, Sloan, Well done!

Will you get to keep it once it's been constructed?

Yep sure will. I currently have a Saitek x52 (original blue one) and was thinking about using a portion of the grant money to get some CH Gear. Would you guys recommend the CH flight stick over the new Saitek x52 pro? (esp since Saitek just got sold to another company?) Rudder pedals and a throttle quadrant might be good too.

Hopefully I won't design this thing for IL-2 controls and have a bunch of new ones added in BoB whenever it ends up coming out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey all!

Here's the build blog http://uvaflight.blogspot.com/ - not much here yet but will have new posts soon.

Also, my grant got augmented! I asked for more money to help build a PC and they gave me $700 extra to go towards a motherboard and video card.

Would these two items be a good choice?: (from tigerdirect.com)

nForce 680i LT Motherboard/CPU (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor 2.40GHz OEM)

Nice project Sloan. Can't think of anything better on the mobo. The GFX is one step from the top so you shouldn't really be going wrong their either.

Only thing I think of is get a good quality brand PSU, a large case for ventilation and low latency memory and you wont be far off it.

Gonna be nice to see it develop :)

Nice project Sloan. Can't think of anything better on the mobo. The GFX is one step from the top so you shouldn't really be going wrong their either.

Thanks for the reply - is the "top" the GTX2? I think this is just this GTX. Anyone know how that will compare?

• 3 months later...

Haha, I have visited the blarney stone. It's funny how you turn "I want to build a flight cockpit" into a two page essay application with a little help from blarney. Most of all, I had to assure them that it was an academic pursuit.

In other news, Ashley and I have bought a log cabin out in the middle of nowhere and are still working on an internet solution. I promise the moment I'm wired again, I'll be in the skies with you guys.

Also, we've acquired our own danger dog as it were! A rescue pit from a local organization:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_m18mSO0wORw/S ... G_6584.JPG