SoW/BoB to be released sometime....

Beebop-RIP

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry about a "doomsday device" in BOB. I've read everything that Oleg has said publicly for the past 8 years, and I have found him to be a practical, no nonsense kind of guy (as far as one can tell from just reading about a person) and the doomsday thing is impractical nonsense: it just don't fit.

I would also not sweat the computer specs to much either, these guy's write tight code. I would expect BOB to scale as well as the original IL2 did for older machines, and that is really, really well. If I had to guess, any mediocre gaming machine you can build for $1000 will run BOB just fine, albiet not with all the settings cranked up to the max.

On a lighter note I think digging up this thread is bloody hilarious! Can you believe we have been waiting this long?

Well I already have a boatload of excellent ground campaign sims, so that feature is lost to me. And I don't see how control of ground units in a game called Battle of Britain would make any difference. What are you gonna do, move around fire trucks in London? There were no ground combat units involved in BoB. I also question the increase in "eye candy" for an aircraft sim. Other than Stukas dive-bombing targets, the only time the Germans got a close look at ground objects was when they were dangling from parachutes or playing lawn dart with their planes. Above 2000 feet most of the ground vegetation looks like it does in IL-2. Plus who the heck has the time to admire the scenery when you are trying to evade enemy aircrafft??

If BoB is released any time soon and is a video card/processor/system hog, it will languish on the shelves. Especially with the way the world economy is heading. I don't think there are a lot of people who can afford to dump their current computer and spend a small fortune on a super-hot new one just to play one or two games. And having to disable features that the sim is hyping will just put it back at the same level as IL-2. Just my opinions

Hello, Oleg has said that he wants film and TV crews to use it and also maybe he will sell bits to other games as already happened (the ships in a Pacific game where KGV battleships) and I think his aircraft models where also used.

• 1 month later...

I just called my local gamedealer, and after some searching, he found March 2009 as new releasedate....the game better be worth the waiting lol

but to add, the game wasn't yet in the stores database......and he mentioned on the side, that it could be possible that the game won't be purchased at all, coz of low market intrest.....but he was going to try and get some copies in, as he is a fanatic simmer as well

I just called my local gamedealer, and after some searching, he found March 2009 as new releasedate....the game better be worth the waiting lol

but to add, the game wasn't yet in the stores database......and he mentioned on the side, that it could be possible that the game won't be purchased at all, coz of low market intrest.....but he was going to try and get some copies in, as he is a fanatic simmer as well

Guest DD_Merdog

Doubletap and Rattler said what I was stating...go to any store that sells software and you will see shelves full of various incarnations of FPS or First Person Role-Playing. Be it Sci-Fi, WW2 or Dungeons & Dragons games. Yes, there is a core of flight sim fans. But they are a very small core and they are not the major part of the market. And retailers are looking for volume sales, not selling to a small group. WW2 FPS games get TV exposure quite often. Same with SciFi and D&D games. I don't think I ever saw an advertisement on TV for IL-2 or any other flight sim. Even MFS doesn't get TV exposure.

IL-2 has "realism to the kill". Maybe for a flight sim. But it doesn't come close to the gore and death that exists in some of the more extreme (and big-selling) FPS. Personally, I don't go in for that type of thing. But kids seem to and it's kids that are driving the computer and cartridge game markets...not old farts like us.